“Stay Away from Glovers Atoll resort!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Glover's Atoll Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glovers Reef Atoll
Glover's Atoll Resort
You added Glover's Atoll Resort to your Saves list
PO Box 2215, Glovers Reef Atoll, Belize   |
CC
“Stay Away from Glovers Atoll resort!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

http://www.glovers.com.bz/ if you are looking at this website I'm telling you DO NOT GO THERE!!!!

The island might be nice, the diving is great, but the owners have obviously no idea that there is a difference between hospitality and hostility!

I am sorry and really sad about what is going on with them, Becky, the daughter, got drunk and started yelling around, Marsha, the mom actually threatened to hold us hostage on the island, and the Dive master Rita smoked marijuana before she took us on a dive!

Don't ask for customer service! It started out with us asking for a whale shark dive, with the first response being a pretty rude statement of it is too windy. The next day we were told they didn't get the time slot to go into the park...................and then we got charged extra...........................oh and if you decide to ask your buddies to sign your logbook, and not the dive master, Becky will be right in your face and ruin your vacation!

If you happen to try and pay with American Express you will be called a name!

They themselves don't hold up to any of the restrictions- which actually are part of conserving the reef: such as catching lobster before the season, fishing within one mile of the island and spear fishing..............

If you do wanna go to the Glover's Atoll here's who I certainly recommend! These people came and "rescued" us before our trip was over and I can tell you that manager does know what hospitality and a happy and satisfied customer is supposed to feel like!

Isla Marisol

My conclusion: I should be telling you about the great diving, and how nice real "Belizeans" are. Getting off an island where the owner threatens to hold you hostage- priceless!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

The owners of the island were so verbally and mentally abusive to 8 of the guests that 4 of them hired their own private boat to get off the island before their trip was up. They were basically held hostage by the owners when they cancelled their boat reservations twice and they had to sneak to use the phone to call for another boat to take them away. The owners yelled at us and intimidated us to the point where we were in tears and anxiety ridden, waiting to get off the island. The owner was drunk and yelled at her child as well in front of us. The owner did not follow through on diving instructions and left us in the water, geared up while she threw a fit and yelled at us to "get off the island." We were at the mercy of the owners and it was a horrible situation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We just got back from a week long stay in Belize and this was the most relaxing trip I have had in a long time. I was a little nervous before staying at Glover's Atoll since I read the review's, but our experience was very positive. Yes, there are bugs, a compost toilet and the shower's were pretty much just a rinse, but you have easy access to some of the best snorkling in the area. We had great meals, calm sea's for snorkling and star filled nights. Warren took may husband out fly fishing and he had nothing but positive things to say about him(I believe Warren is 17 and may husband said he knew he stuff). If you are someone who doesn't like bugs, wants clean sheets every day and likes to have things to run like clock work, Glover's Atoll is not for you. I would bring bug spray and lightweight long pants and long sleeve-T to protect yourself from the sand flees. I did get bitten up pretty badly and is the only real negative that I can say about this place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

At $259 per person for a week, this place is just fractionally more than the boat ride to get you out there. You can always pay 10 times the price to stay at the resort on the island next door if you want to be pampered (really, its almost $2000 for 6 days). Its not as rough here as some people are saying. We were pleasantly surprised. We came with all our own camping and cooking gear because we read that it was disgusting, but it was perfectly fine (typical of what you'd see in a decent hostel). A couple notes: don't bother camping, the area is quite dark, and the communal kitchen is far away and not that nice. Ditto for the dorms. For $60 more, you can stay in the gorgeous beachfront cabanas and have your own kitchen. The beds are really comfortable and the balcony is SO nice. Also, don't rent the kayak for the whole week, you won't need it. We brought all of our own food, but the food in the restaurant looked good and everyone said the portions were huge. In fact, one couple was actually sharing 1 meal between the two of them. Basically, if you are the type of person who likes to camp and stay in hostels, you will think this is heaven on earth.
As for Becky, she isn't into the typical resort customer service, but she's perfectly friendly and helpful, just in a much more real way than most people in the customer service industry. The airline had lost our bag and she went to great lengths to track it down, and Warren went and picked it up in Dangriga (we had already pretty much given up on it before we got to Glover's). Also, there were 3 medical emergencies while I was there, and Becky dealt with them extremely efficiently and professionally, with a kind of "take no chances" attitude.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Rockport, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

I absolutely loved this little island. I had one on one diving instruction with Becky , the owner. It was challenging and exciting. She was tough but patient and I feel I got excellent instruction. I would advise people to purchase your padi open water diving manual and study it well in advance before arriving .
I am looking forward to returning to dive and relax at this tropical paradise.
This vacation would only appeal to those who enjoy nature and don't mind roughing it . There are hermit crabs and little geckos everywhere even in your cabana. It was a great adventure.

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

I had read all of these reviews before going, and was a little nervous but there were some rays of hope in some of the reviews and I was confident. It seems that a lot of people don't take into consideration the so-called and ubiquitous "Belize Time". The boat left sittee river later than the advertised 9, but we got to have a nice breakfast at the lodge in sittee river and mingle with the other guests. We were the only Americans there- there were about 10 people from France or Quebec who got along immediately.

When we got going, around 1030, Becky, the owner of Glover's Atoll Resort, invited us to go up front on the bow of the catamaran and enjoy the view. We saw Iguanas in the trees and it was a lovely ride. When we got out to sea, the waves got bigger and we had a fun time getting splashed until we were in open ocean for the last 1.5 hours and the clouds came out. When we got to the Island, Becky took us on a tour of the island and then pointed us to our cabin. We had an over water cabin (#9). Unfortunately, the few cabanas near the end are not in enough water to jump in in the morning. We decided to ask for a move to Cabin 6, which has a place you can jump into. Becky was very accommodating.
We went diving off of the island, with the Instructor Antoni, who is awesome if you can get there when he is there (he goes to school on the mainland during the year and was only there during the break). We saw a sea turtle on our first dive there. My boyfriend did his referral, which is a really easy way to finish your certification if you don't want to go diving in a quarry.
We ate all of our breakfasts on the Island, and Jackie, one of Becky's Daughters, makes amazing waffles. They were all accommodating of my vegetarianism and my boyfriend's pickiness.
The other daughter, Maddy, is 8 or 9 and she clung to us the whole time, which was endearing but mostly annoying. She's a nice kid, though. We played uno with her and sometimes Jackie. It was a lot of fun.
The son, Warren, I didn't talk to much but he loves fishing and I'm sure he could talk your ear off about it. He seems really nice and cool too.
Grandma Marsha Jo walks around in an entirely unflattering bikini, and complains shrilly, but the rest of the family take it in stride and she usually sits on the computer and doesn't interact with the guests. You will see a lot of family stuff that you won't see at a normal hotel because this is their home, too.
There is internet access and a phone to use. Internet is $5US for 30 minutes, and a phone call is $5 plus charges, or just $5 if you have a phone card. They usually only have the generator on for electricity at night, though.

Our cabin was great. There is no electricity, so bring flashlights or headlamps. There are one or two gas lanterns in each cabin as well. The pots and pans should probably be rinsed out before you use them, but are otherwise entirely usable. I recommend bringing simple stuff like ramen or canned foods for easy heat-up if you don't plan on eating every meal at the mess hall. Also, don't leave food lying around. There are cockroaches that crawl around at night sometimes, and they can chew through plastic bags so keep your things wrapped tightly! They weren't that bad, though, and mostly just scuttled across, and when it was windy they were nowhere to be seen. Sometimes you may even see a little crab coming into your cabin. The doors and windows don't shut perfectly so when it is windy you may have to be creative to keep them from banging open and shut. The beds were comfortable and cozy.

The Island itself is pretty small, and can be walked around in 10 minutes or so. There are hermit crabs and lizards everywhere. You can find coconuts to open on a stake that is sticking out of the sand surrounded by piles of coconut husks. The toilet is a composting toilet, and none of the cabins have private toilets, so that is a bit of a drag, but it doesn't smell that bad on windy days, and is actually a nice-looking building as far as outhouses go. The showers are also separate and are well-water. You have to hold down the handle to get water, so it's not the most relaxing shower.

Things will probably never get completely dry on the island, so be prepared for that. If you bring some woolite you can wash your clothes in a bucket of well water and then hang them out to dry.

On our trip, we had pretty bad weather because of a tropical wave and a coldfront that got stuck right on top of us for a couple days. It was windy and cloudy and occasionally rainy. We still had a great time, being cozy in our cabin or playing UNO up at the mainhouse or reading or even scuba diving- it doesn't matter if it's raining when you're down there! The weather actually got bad enough that we couldn't go back on saturday. Becky gave us all a day's worth of meals for free and then fed us peanut butter and jelly on the boat ride home the next day.
We were really happy with the family and the island and the diving, but you do have to be prepared and open to little disappointments or things not quite as you're used to them. I would definitely go back, and absolutely recommend it. If I can edit this I will post pictures soon. I hope my excruciatingly-detailed review will help some of you!

• Liked — The fact that it was on an island, the lamonts, their dogs, the diving and snorkelling, the relaxation
  • Disliked — Bathroom was kind of a long walk when it's raining and windy at 3am, cockroaches, can't predict the weather, a long ride from the mainland
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Utrecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Read this carefully if you are planning to go to Glover's!

There are quite a few negative reviews about Glover's atoll resort on this site and only a few good ones. While I'm not saying that those of us that left a negative review have not indeed had a bad or terrible experience, I have to say that I had one of the best holidays ever. Glover's was a truly magnificent experience despite the lack of comfort! I flew all the way over from Europe, it took me a total of three days to reach the island and it was totally worth it.

This is the true story about Glover's.

First of all, if there is one thing to keep in mind at all times it is that you get what you pay for. You can go to Turneffe or to one of the other fancy kayes and pay a fortune or go to Glover's an enjoy a private island at a bargain price. There is of course a reason why it is cheap: there is no running water, no electricity, no bathroom in the cabins. The cabins are very rustic. Each cabin holds up to 4 people and that's it. You can cook your meals if you want to or you can get the meals at the dive shop. Some basic cooking tools (pans and pots and that sort of thing are provided). You get clean sheets when you move in but you need to bring all the rest along. If you expect room service and clean towels every day do yourself a favour and DO NOT come here. This is a place for people that are OK with not showering every day (although there are two showers on the island). Keep in mind that you spend most of the time in the water and getting really nasty dirty is very difficult.

Speaking of the food, we had a chef from Guatemala and the food was wonderful everyday! I even had lobster dinner for new year's eve (along with some very good champagne). The lobsters were fresh, caught that morning by Warren. Breakfast, lunch and dinner was always tasty (thank you Jorge). As a diver I used to come out of the water famished and I always had way too much on my plate! The food is usually the "catch of the day" - depends what the sea provides: barracuda, lobster, wahoo, squid, ... Do not come here if you enjoy your steak!

Diving is wonderful. The sites are all perfect, the water clean and warm (26 C, 76 F). You'll typically encounter sharks, turtles, ocotpus, barracudas, ... The dives take you along the reef barrier, and you'll see some of the most amazing corals. The dive masters on site know the reef inside and out. Again, do not come here if you're not into diving, if you are just looking to a beach resort go to Turneffe. If you like diving, snorkeling, or fishing keep reading!

The island is very small. This means that you will eventually run into some of it's inhabitants:

1 - there's the family - they actually live there, and they allow you to come on their private island for a fee. However this is still their home and it means that you can expect things to happen like in any other home (like arguments for example). Becky is a bit distracted sometimes, so you have to pay extra attention when you pay your bills. It's not that they are trying to rip you off, it's just genuine distraction.

2 - there are dogs - all of them are super cute dogs. If you are not an animal person, do not come here. The dogs will bark sometimes, but they are quite lazy and they really do not bite. I think they are just a bit bored, it's a small island.

3 - there are a lot of hermit crabs, especially at night, that's a good thing, they clean up the island. These guys will go to town on anything edible left on the ground.

4 - there is junk on the island - and you can help to collect it and drag it over to the garbage pit. But this is not a rule and if you do not want to, nobody is going to force you. Why is there junk on the island: people throw crap in water from the boats and all the junk washes onto the island. Nobody litters on the island on purpose, but at see you'll find lotsa junk floating around. Like one of the divers says: when people will disappear from the planet, all that will be left behind is plastic! The dive masters collect junk even when diving.

5 - coconuts are free of charge. You can never have enough coconuts. If you are allergic to coconuts, well, you get the idea ...

6 - bugs - there are bugs on the island. You'll have mosquitos and sand flies and some roaches. Brind some bugspray.

7 - some people have been coming for a while to this place. While I was there, I met a bloke who was there for the 16th time.

8 - while I was there, most of the other visitors were from the USA and Canada. I do not think that a lot of Europeans come to this place.

9 - there was no sign of brakish water the others mentioned in their reviews. There was no signs of bugs in the beds (wear your bugspray at night though).

10 - there is an old busted up boat beached on the island. This does give a messy first impression. The boat was thrown on the coral reef during a hurricane and is badly damaged. Repairing a boat with the supplies available on the island is complicated.

Some final words:

- read the website carefully.
- read the other reviews for a second opinion (if you must)
- this is not a resort.
- bring: sunscreen, bugspray, extra toilet paper and a flashlight and a sense of adventure.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — bugs!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Glover's Atoll Resort? Share your experiences!