“Beautiful, rustic: an island adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Glover's Atoll Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glovers Reef Atoll
Glover's Atoll Resort
You added Glover's Atoll Resort to your Saves list
PO Box 2215, Glovers Reef Atoll, Belize   |
Roatan, Honduras
“Beautiful, rustic: an island adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went at the start of April, with my two boys, 8 and 10. The island is beautiful, turquoise waters surrounding it, cute little bungalows over the water. There's also the option of beach huts and a dorm room. We were in one of the over the water bungalows. It was roomy: a double bed and set of bunk beds. Had a propane cooktop, table and chairs, a couple hammocks, and an outer porch. Well equipped with dishware. Nurse sharks and rays would swim around our bungalow, it was great! We found the staff to be friendly and welcoming. Wi-fi is available for a fee in the main restaurant, and you can also recharge whatever stuff you need to (they have a generator running there, the rest of the island is no electricity). Twice weekly, you could purchase fresh baked banana bread and french bread, which was a nice treat.
It isn't the ideal vacation for everyone. There's compost toilets and outdoor showers in the middle of the island, and you have to lug buckets of water if you want to wash up your dishes etc at your bungalow. Kerosene lamps to use at night. Very basic, more like camping style: 'resort' isn't the best choice of names. However if you don't mind the basics, then it's a great choice. There was always a nice breeze, so we were never hot without a fan (actually, I could have used a sweater), and the beds were comfortable. We got a fishing permit (I think it was about $10), so we'd go outside of the 1 mile zone where we could catch and keep, and caught fish and conch pretty much every day. We brought most of our own food, so only ate at the restaurant once: it was very good food when we ate there, but we were on a budget, so preferred cooking most of the time.
The kids really loved it, and there were several other families there, so they had fun with the other kids. We would definitely go back, and stay longer (we were there for a week), but would stock up better at the grocery store, and would rent one of the coolers (we didn't bother, as we hadn't known in advance that we could rent one, thought we had to bring one along, so didn't bring any perishables).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

'Will try to make this as short as possible but as one can see, these reviews of Glover's seem to turn out long.
First of all it is not a week as they advertise. It is 6 nights and 5 full days.
You are told to be at Sittee River at 8:30 am latest on Sunday for the Catamaran trip. You are truly wanted there that early to help load the boat which does not get loaded till about 9:30 or later.
I think we actually left the pier around 11ish.
When you arrive at Glover's you are expected to help unload.
Do stay in the over the water hut if at all possible. Do not expect to get the hut you have been told you are to get.
Once there, you must wheelbarrow your 5 gal jug of water to your hut. If you need help it will be provided.
Read all the fine print before going. Bring good flashlights, a must.
If you purchase meals there, understand that they are expensive and edible but not great. Due to late arrival and being tired, we had dinner there first night. I am serious when I say they gave us a tiny chicken leg. It was just a bit bigger than one of those chicken wings one gets at bars.
I spoke to someone about it the next day (being that we paid almost $40 U.S. for two dinners) and was told to have another dinner the next night. What was interesting is that a large bachelor party was in our group and they were fishing every day. None of their fish to my knowledge was served. Instead, we had a terrible barracuda dinner. That was the end of us eating there. We heard that the next days lunch was left over barracuda! It appears all the great fish that was caught by 14 people was being sent to the mainland?
Despite the above, we were prepared food-wise. We had all other meals that we prepared ourselves in the hut. The poor quality and high price of the "meal plan" did not give us bad feelings. I am pretty picky so I am one who is prepared food-wise and with advice from others who have been here, we ate well.
The huts are basic. Many are run down. We had three walls that were missing siding, and sailcloth was in its place but it worked. It is very noisy in the hut due to winds so one may have to close some of the doors at night. We never closed the front doors and there are no locks. We never felt at risk. While we were there, they were finishing up a new bathroom. I believe that due to some Belize code, they needed more than the two toilets provided. There was never a line at the bathroom or shower.
If you are looking for someone to clean your room, empty your trash, do not come here. If you are expecting hot running water, AC, and electricity, do not come here. If you are one who can "go with the flow", enjoy the gorgeous water, ignore the piles of trash to be burned (hidden somewhat) and the ton of recyclable glass and plastic water bottle station, come here. The snorkeling and diving is amazing. The water is warm. The guests are great. People share. If you like to hang around in your bathing suit all day this is the place. No one will bother you. No one will check up on you. You are basically on your own. Leave your make up behind and bring calmness and kindness and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Over the water hut is best if your budget allows. I chose the over the water hut knowing that there...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

14 friends between 23-43 years of age travelled to Glover's Atoll resort for a week, and couldn't have been happier.

We chartered 3 fishing boats each day, all day, and the captains Warren, Mark, and Lawrence were super about catering to our wish lists. They got up to take us out before breakfast, after breakfast, and after lunch. We were also able to take the large catamaran out on a full day fishing trip, and the kitchen staff packed lunch for us to bring.

While some of our group partook in every single fishing trip, I decided to make the most of their PADI-cetified dive instruction, and I got my open water certification from their instructor Allison. She was outstanding, and helped each of the 3 students pass the course, with extra attention to help us overcome each of our sticking points, whether it was using dive-tables, learning in english language, or fear of the water. Outstanding!

Don't go if you need your bedsheet turned down with a mint, or your room cleaned every day. This is meant to be an off-the-grid experience, not a Sandals resort. All 14 of us kept returning to the fact the best part of the trip was turning off the cell-phones and computers and just enjoying eachother's company all week... that, and the 40lb Kingfish, 30lb African Pompano, Blackfin Tuna, countless Barracuda, and assorted other fish we caught... and the sea turtles I swam with... and the campfires... and having one of the groundskeepers help us gather hermit crabs to put in our buddie's bed with him... yup, too many good times to count.

Room Tip: Choose an over-water hut if you want the BEST option available - we had four, which slept our group...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have stayed on this island in over New years for a week.
We had our tent so we stayed on the beach. It took them 3h by boat to get there, which was good fun watching all this little island on the way to atoll.
Very laid back atmosphere, which we loved. Time stopped there.
Very basic, accommodation on the island, however you pay very little for it.

Family who run this resort were very friendly and helpfull.
Diving was very good gor caribbean standards and fairly priced.
We have rented kayaks and strolled along edge of the reef for miles.
It is very good idea if you have diving shoes to walk on the edge of the beach.
It is possible to fish there, catch release only, since this is a park now.
You can keep your catch outside the park few miles from there.
Restaurant food was excellent, all the food mainly fish, crabs or lobsters were cought few hours before. Its a perfect quiet retreat, no one hussle you, just relax and enjoy beauty of this place.
Definately we will come back in the future, to see how things changed.
It is also perfect place to get your PADI :)

Room Tip: Cabanas closer to the outer reef have better breeze and few mosquitos.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is luxury camping with a great staff in a stunning environment. If that's all you need to be happy, go here. If you want a vacation where you wake up within an hour or two of the sun rising simply for the JOY of being awake and getting to appreciate every moment possible on the island (beautiful sunshine & views, incredible diving and snorkeling, and laid back atmosphere) then come here. If you're looking for a vacation where you can dress up or be formal in any way or have people constantly at your beck and call - then save this place for another time.

The staff is polite and does go out of their way to make your stay pleasant, but they do this discretely. For example, the cook will casually ask what you like to eat and he'll remember your answers and apply what you say to any meal he prepares for you. The cooking is excellent, although they are not formally trained cooks. So if you have less common food requests such as allergies, vegetarianism, vegan, gluten free, etc. diets then cook for yourself, although the cook will try his best to accommodate your needs but be specific. Many people around the world don't realize that having gravy or fish or meat broth in a meal violates vegetarian or vegan diets, so... sometimes you just have to make sure you communicate what you expect. This isn't the US, so standards of "cleanliness" are different, but I have an extremely sensitive stomach and did not get sick during my whole trip to Belize. Other examples of the excellent staff: another employee will see you spend an hour trying to master coconut dissection and then provide you with free, cut coconuts and straws for the rest of the week. The employees don't come right out and say "How can I help you ma'am" - but they do want you to enjoy your stay, because they're nice people. So make friends and appreciate each others company. Consider that the staff sometimes spends months on the island without leaving, hanging out regularly only with each other, and having to say goodbye to guests at the end of every week. It's not an easy life. Be nice! The dive master Brian is a cool, casual dude who I felt very safe with and taken care of when we went diving and scuba-ing.

Several other reviewers here compare the price to this place to other private island resorts that are more upscale with more luxuries for the same cost or less and I don't know WTF those comments are about. If you're able to get on the Glover's Atoll Resort Sunday to Saturday schedule, where the boat transportation is included, if you cook some of your own meals (and even if you eat all your meals in the restaurant), snorkel off the island, rent a kayak a few times, snorkel and scuba a few times with the boat AND stay in an above water hut, I sincerely believe this place is significantly less expensive than the other private island resorts I looked into. I looked at camping at other private island resorts, where I would have been charged $15US a day and $250 for transportation to the island and another $250 for transportation back to the mainland. (Lets do some quick math. $250 x 2 way transportation + $15 x 6 nights = $590 for one person, camping, and nothing like dishes or a stove provided... so I'd have to haul all that gear. I paid less than $650 for my entire trip to the island, which included a private above water hut, SCUBA, snorkel, 12 restaurant meals, banana bread, limited internet use and kayak rentals). I feel privileged for being able to spend a week on this island and I sincerely appreciate that the owners charge what they do, which allowed me to afford a visit to an incredible private island.

I travel inexpensively and would have been content to stay in the dorm or camp and many people enjoyed their experience doing that. However, I'd suggest that you cheapen out on food and instead eat the conch and coconuts that are all around the island (and FREE) for every meal, and OPT FOR THE ABOVE WATER HUT UPGRADE!!!!!!!!! I read other reviewers who recommended this too and I actually rolled my eyes at their excess. But, I did end up in an above water hut. I felt so pleased with myself. Like I was royalty in my lovely above water cabin. I watched sharks and stingrays while I read and relaxed on my private deck. I loved hearing the water all night and sitting under the lovely stars, waking up to a view of the ocean and jumping out of bed to see what marine life was hanging around my private walkway to the island.

A few tips that I haven't already read from the other reviews:
- Bring baby powder. You'll appreciate it if your rear is sensitive to sitting in a wet bathing suit all day. And change into a dry suit any time you're out of the water, as soon as you can.
- I brought a mosquito net for my above water hut, but never even opened it. You need bug spray if you travel to Belize, but the bugs were not bad on the island in April.
- Bugs ARE bad at Sittee River, stay overnight in Hopkins as others have recommended and lather on the bug spray BEFORE you get to Sittee River.
- If you're a girl, bring a DIVA Cup. I had no issue using the well water to rinse mine. This tip will change your life. Tell your friends.
- If you don't have a ton of vacation time and want to maximize your trip, consider flying from Belize City International Airport to Dangriga - will cost you around 87$ (US - ask the airline for a discount) and then bus to Hopkins, sleep in a hotel/guesthouse, then taxi to Sittee River. If possible, experience the bus trip from Belize City to Belmopan to Dangriga to Hopkins and then taxi to Sittee River. Time difference: 20 minutes to fly and 3-5+ hours for bus/taxi. If you land at Belize City International Airport, there is a $25 (US$) flat fee to get from the airport to the bus terminal, it's about $30 (Belize/$15US) for the various buses plus the taxi from Hopkins to Sittee River. Not a HUGE price difference. Depends on your needs and priorities.
- Don't bring watercolor paint, your paintings will never dry. : (
- Buy a snorkel with a design that purges the water for you - something like: at Amazon: New Oceanic Ultra Dry Flexible Purge Snorkel for Scuba Divers & Snorkelers - 100% Dry
- Bring a pair of socks to wear while snorkeling to protect your heals from rubbing

The day I arrived home, I was looking at airfare to return. I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did. Thank you to everyone who made my experience great!

Room Tip: Above water hut.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Helena, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

By doing some homework using the Lonely Planet Guide to Belize, Glover's Atoll web site and emailing Marsha-Jo Lamont (the owner) ahead of time, we were very aware of what Glover's Atoll Resort was and wasn't and it was exactly what we were looking for. Primitive, quiet setting, great snorkeling, great food, great fishing and accomodating staff to get you where you needed to go. Who could complain about fresh fish and conch for dinner every night??? You did have to ASK for what you wanted/needed.....I appreciated the staff not being in my business all the time wondering what I needed, where I wanted to go, etc. We learned during the initial island tour that if you needed something, ASK. I would say that the 3 other recent reviews may have been looking for a different experience. Although there was a set price for the accommodations including a glorious ride on a 45 foot catamaran, everything else was an "add on"...again, that was clearly explained to us. The over the water cabana we stayed in was glorious.... We came on "schedule" meaning from Sittee River from Sunday to Saturday and were given a very good tour of the island. Quite a few people arrived throughout the week for shorter stays and I doubt you would be given a tour. Although we mainly cooked ourselves with a very nice set up in our cabana, the last night we treated ourselves to dinner at the lodge......FABULOUS! Wahoo, seafood pasta and beautifully prepared veges...Becky and her staff were excellent cooks. I also had conch stew one day for lunch with bread and watermelon. There were a few things that were a bit of a scramble (getting a cooler to start, getting fish one day, figuring a few things out), ask and you shall receive....

Room Tip: Ask for an over the water cabana and get confirmation from Marsha-Jo that is what you are getting. I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The island is beautiful. Snorkeling was out of this world. The food they prepared was fabulously tasty. However (and it is a big however), there appeared a lack of upkeep, and a forced "Gilligan's Island" kind of feel that was not necessary. Quaint for the sake of quaint. Many aspects of our stay could have been made nicer especially for the price that was charged. Costs were poorly explained and it came out double of what we anticipated. We were never given a proper orientation to the pecularities of island life and had to search for appropriate personnel to explain them to us. It appeared that many were repeat guests and so it was assumed that they would explain stuff to us. We were housed in "the dorm" for the first nite which was unbearablly damp with bedding that I would have burned rather than sleep on. When we got to stay in the cabanas, there were broken decks, doors that didn't properly close, however it was a true step up from "the dorm". Its an interesting place with a very communal feel (which is nice) but I'm not sure I will be returning.

Room Tip: Never stay at the dorm. Best places are the cabanas on the water. Scenery is breathtaking. But ge...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Glover's Atoll Resort? Share your experiences!