“Diving in Belize” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Caye Caulker

New England
“Diving in Belize”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I haven't been able to stop thinking about Caye Caulker since my trip there came to an end. It isone of the last perfect little islands. I hope it stays perfect for years because I plan on going back every year now.

Much of the credit for my great experience goes to Belize Dive Services. I spent most of my trip underwater with them. The diving is amazing, and I am so grateful I hooked up with this dive shop to experience it. Their staff is like one big family and I felt like part of the family diving with them.

If you make it to Caye Caulker, make sure you also check out Habanero's restaurant, perfect for your first-night and last-night dinners, although I squeezed in a couple extra nights too. And for nightlife, there are only a couple choices, and everyone ends up at Oceanside Night Club. If it seems like a slow night, check again 1am, your mind will change.

Santa Barbara, California
“Mellow, beautiful and fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed on Caye Caulker for 7 days. We really enjoyed just hanging out and enjoying the fresh pina coladas, scuba diving, swimming and fresh seafood. The islands motto is "go slow" which holds true. It is a very mellow island with lots of nice people, beautiful water, sea life and great fresh seafood. We stayed in a great little house right on the ocean which we rented through Caye Caulker Rentals. For only $70 a night we had our own beach bungalow! We went scuba diving with Belize Diving Services and had a great time - the staff was very nice, cool and knowledgable. We spent a good amount of time hanging out at the split sipping on panty rippers ;) and pina coladas at the Lazy Lizard. Had great lobster ceviche at Rose's, a great dining experience at Habaneros and a great time cave tubing on the mainland which we booked through Mario's Tours. I think that i ate more lobster in that week then I ever have in my life! So fresh and delicious. There are lots of excursions available - scuba diving, snorkeling and fishing that you can book as well as just spend other days lounging and swimming. There are a few bars with music to check out - but for us we were happy just hanging out on our balcony and enjoying the sunset at night.
A few other recommendations:
*Pulled Pork at a Cuban restaurant right on the ocean (not sure what it's called but it is just a little ways down from the water taxi dock)
*traditional american sandwiches at the Sandbox ( if you need a break from seafood)
*fresh baked banana bread by the "bread man" (he walks around with a basket full of diff varieties of bread)
*handmade jewelry by Calvin (side street shop right under Habaneros's)
*Caye Caulker Rentals - Carolyns House
*Banana Cabana - beach front rental (http://www.cayecaulkerbelizebeachhouse.com/)
*roadside BBQed lobster and fish - lots of vendors, choose one and enjoy!
*cave tubing on the mainland

New York City, New York
“Great First Family Vacation Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We took our first family vacation (that didn't involve visiting family) to Caye Caulker in Belize with our two year old son and it couldn't have been better. We like to have unique travel experiences and were worried we'd have to forego some of that for traveling with a two year old. Luckily we rented an amazing beach house through Ruby and Kim at Caye Caulker Rentals and it was fun, relaxing, and felt authentic. Ruby and Kim went the extra mile to make it that way by organizing a travel crib for our son, having our rental bikes with child seat out at the house the night we arrived so we wouldn't have to trek in the next morning to pick them up, and having taxis to meet us both at the airport in Belize City as well as to pick us up when we got to the island, take us to the grocery store, and point out the key spots before taking us to our island home. It was paradise, and without having to worry about all the little details, we could truly enjoy our precious time away from our hectic city lives. I can't wait to go back and I highly recommend using Caye Caulker rentals especially if its your first time to Belize since they are so knowledgeable and genuine. Some of our favorite spots on the island to eat were Amor y Cafe, Coco Plum, Glenda's, and Rose's for the catch of the day. For activities we loved biking around, swimming at the Split, and just lazing about in our beautiful beach house and reading or drawing. Sunsets are beautiful and the stars over the airstrip are magical!

Longmont CO
“Caye Caulker wonderful island, relaxation at it's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

a delightful place, good restaurants, nice people and wonderful diving. Stayed at Caye Reef Condos and walked every where. All that we needed and wanted was available and easy to get around. Swimming at the split was great.

vancouver island
“Attacked in Caye Caulker April 2010”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

I was attacked in my hotel room at the Iguana Reef . I fought hard and screamed and the assliant ran before robbing or doing me physical harm. The men on island are agressive and overly suggestive. I am a sixty year old woman and an experienced traveler. This is not a safe place for women. The police came in morning but were useless!
Hotels are not giving adequate warning of crime on island.

Been to Caye Caulker? Share your experiences!