“Where did the time go?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Popeyes Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Popeyes Beach Resort
You added Popeyes Beach Resort to your Saves list
PO Box 19, Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Caye Caulker
KCMO
“Where did the time go?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I couldn't have requested and gotten a person better than Andrew and his crew. Rooms were cleaned everyday, Beach was swept clean, flush toilets and clean towels. Lay in the hammock during the day, breeze from the sea blowing. What a nice way to do nothing. I did move to get a beer and go snorkeling. Bring your own equipment if you have it. Let Andrew set you up and you will have a great time. I have snorkeled before and it was just ok, this was great! We had a 40th birthday party and guess who arranged it all, cooked and cleaned up when we were done...Andrew and his crew. He was very accommodating no mater what we requested. Food was very good.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bandera texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

We stayed at Popeye's hotel for 2 weeks to celebrate our 41st anniversary.The room was always kept neat and clean,the hammocks out front facing the beach were relaxing.We stayed on the ground level facing the beach,beautiful sunrises woke us up every morning.Andrew who runs the place was very friendly and accomodating.Ron,the owner,made us coffee most of the time by 6:00am and invited us into the office for a visit everday.He can hook you up with tours to Guatamala via Tropic Air or bus.
There is no door on the bathroom,just a curtain,but who needs a door when you've been married 41 years? We had use of the pier and were invited to some grilled fish which was caught by one of the guests.Ron can arrange a fishing trip too! I will stay here again. Its; in a quiet location just south of the water taxi.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights as many of the other hotels were booked out for the Lobster Festival. The location is excellent, just as the seafront gets quiet but close to the main street and quay. Staff were friendly enough, the room (at the frontt) was reasonably priced and spacious, 2 double beds. Bathroom was ok.
The hammock at the front was a good feature, in the shade looking out over the ocean.
Overall, a decent place to stay on Caye Caulker.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed in Popeye's for 3 nights in March. Once settled in, things were fine, but getting settled in was the issue. The room we booked -- on the 3rd floor, great sea view, $65/night -- was occupied by someone who extended their stay, though I'd confirmed my room just two days earlier. So, Andrew (the property manager) put us in a side room "suite" without a view. Normally, he said, this room would be $90, but we got it for $50. But the $40 bucks was not important to me. It was waking up to that beautiful Carribbean Sea. He promised we'd be in the room we booked the next night. Alas, the people in that room decided to extend their stay 3 more nights, which meant we weren't going to be there at all. Andrew then booked us in a sea-view suite on the 2nd floor. It was a good room, but again, not the room we booked. The WiFi was spotty (kept dropping out) so I had to keep reconnecting. It was OK when it worked.

One of two things happened: Either the room was double booked the entire time, or Andrew chose to bump me over the group in that room. Either way, it wasn't a good experience and for that I can't recommend this hotel. If the sea view isn't that important, there are options in the back or on the side, but you can get rooms without a view for much cheaper than the going rate here.

Otherwise, the location is great, just down the beach from the water taxi stand, and a few short steps from some of the better restaurants (Habaneros, Rosie's). The resident cleaning manager was fantastic and did a great job keeping the place clean. Given that this is still a developing country built on a mangrove swamp, the bug situation was good. Still further up is the split at the Lazy Iguana and Femi's, a great little bar and food place on a dock overlooking the sea.

One last point is the website implies that Popeye's is a "resort" but I didn't get that vibe at all. I actually chose this place because I thought there was a bar/restaurant on site, but the bar was closed (not sure when/how that happened or when it would be open). This isn't much of an issue because there are plenty of places to get a beer, but it would've been nice to chat with some of my fellow travelers. Also, some pictures imply that there's a pool, but there is no pool. So if you're looking for a "resort" you might want to consider another place. In the end, it's up to you if you want to risk an overbooked room. It sort of worked out for me, but it could've easily ruined an otherwise fantastic trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

I spent one night here only. The weather was so bad that I cut my trip short (which is why I left early).
The fellow that runs this place, Andrew, was very accommodating and friendly.
The room I stayed in was very basic. The rate was reasonable, so I guess the value was okay.
I stayed in a room in the one-level structure at the back of the property.
I think a room in the main 3-level structure, particularly facing the water, would be much nicer (for the view if nothing else - I didn't have a chance to take a look in these rooms).
I would recommend this place to a friend, keeping in mind that it is no-frills and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Olds, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

We have just completed a 6 night stay at Popeye's Resort. We stayed in the main building in a suite overlooking the ocean. We loved this place. We are three adults and had a large room, air conditioning, free wirless internet and a fridge. It was very comfortable. We found the staff friendly and it is very quiet at night. We paid $65 a night and I thought this was a bargain! It was bug free and clean. There was no room service everyday but they did come in once to clean and change the sheets. It is a great location right on the beach! Yes there is no bathroom door but there are two curtains that provide privacy. We loved Caye Caulker much more than Ambergris Caye. It is more relaxing and less touristy.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caye Caulker
Rainbow Hotel
Rainbow Hotel
#10 of 20 in Caye Caulker
4.0 of 5 stars 78 reviews

Been to Popeyes Beach Resort? Share your experiences!