“why Carlos's tours are worth trying” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 29 Activities in Caye Caulker
nyc
3 attraction reviews
“why Carlos's tours are worth trying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

If you're an old hand at snorkeling, you may not need a guided tour. But if you're new to Belize or the reef, Carlos gives one of the best day tours around. He takes reef ecology seriously, and doesnt drop trash or allow guests to mess up the coral. He swims with his guests and identifies the fish or coral or rays or turtles as you pass them. Because he photographs the highlights, you DONT need to bring your own camera but you can just enjoy the snorkeling, without worrying about whether you "got" everything on film. My daughter and i have gone to the reef many times with Carlos and he's a pro.

US
“depite rave reviews, I'm not a fan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

After having read about Carlos in our guidebook and hearing glowing reviews from a Caye Caulker resident. I signed up for a second snorkel trip with Carlos tours (first trip was with Hicaco tours and was very fun). Perhaps he was having a bad day, but I found Carlos to be very uptight, impatient and controlling. During the snorkels, our group was instructed that "Everything was fine as long as we followed him". I fully understand that with one guide and 10 people, we need to stick together, for logistical, safety and ecological purposes. But his idea of close enough was having someone else's' fins in your face. We were told that only he could dive so a majority of the view was of fellow divers and Carlos snapping photos underwater. If we hadn't bought his CD (30 Belize dollars) we wouldn't have seen 1/4th of the ocean life. I would much rather have been able to see it first hand had we had a less controlling guide (and I am not the go off on my own and tear up the sea-life type, I just wanted to be far enough away to see something other than another snorkeler). I think Carlos needs to strike a balance between keeping his group together and realizing that we are on the trip to snorkle and see beautiful sealife, not watch him see beautiful sealife. One thing that I have to give him credit for, is that his fruit salad was great (much more variety than with Hicaco tours, but I would prefer freedom over fruit). I recommend bringing your own mango and going with Hicaco tours on Front street .

Parker, CO.
“Best Snorkel guide in Caye Caulker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

My husband and I have been to Caye Caulker three times in the last 2 years. Carlos is our first stop to schedule a day and time. We usually stay a week and try to go out with him 3-4 times. Our last visit, first week of December 2006, we took my stepkids. Ages 6 & 8. Carlos took such excellent care with them and showed them an amazing time. He is all they talk about. Since Caye Caulker is such a small place, we'd see Carlos out and about and the kids were always wanting to talk to him and just socialize. He would always great them with open arms.
We've received a ton of remarks on the photos that Carlos did for us.
Carlos makes our trips all the better! That along with Mario at the Iguana Reef Inn and Marlin!

Edmonton, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Snorkling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

We have just returned from spending two relaxing week's on the island of Caye Caulker. During our stay we had the opportunity to meet Carlos & Michal and took in their day trip. We found them to be very friendly and professional.
Carlos email is [--] and they are located by the Sand Box Restaurant on Front St.
At the end of each trip they give you the opportunity to purchase a underwater slide CD disc of the Day's activities.
Mac