“I don't understand why the reviews are so great.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Pearle Royale Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ocean Pearle Royale Hotel
Save Saved
You added Ocean Pearle Royale Hotel to your Saves list
249 Starfish Crescent | Belama Phase #1, Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Caye Caulker
Everett, Washington, United States
“I don't understand why the reviews are so great.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The owner was nice, but I hated the facility. There is a large common area that the rooms open up to, and each room has a window into the common area and a window facing out of the building. The common area was clean, but dingy and felt a bit like a jail.

Our room had two single beds, and the sheets were clean and changed daily. The bathroom smelled like sewer. The shower was also pretty gross. There were several mosquitos in the bathroom as well. The hotel had no cross breeze at all, and the rooms were very very hot at night. We were on a G Adventures tour that we payed a significant amount of money for, and this hotel is very inexpensive. If I was traveling on my own I probably would have hated it less, because I would not have paid an arm and a leg for it. Everyone on our tour was very disappointed by the lodging here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bordeaux
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Ocean Pearl Royale was a great place to stay.The owner, Gertraude, was efficient and helpful.The rooms were comfortable and clean and Gertraude changed sheets and towels everyday.We were in the main building which has a spacious communal area with rooms off it. The wifi was good and there is a book exchange.
The price was very reasonable too;very good value. Nice garden too with chairs, tables and swinging hammocks. The only downside was that we could only stay for 5 nights and so we had to find another hotel after that and it was nowhere near as clean or comfortable. I highly recommend the Ocean Pearl.There is no swimming pool or restaurant but with The Split just 200 metres away you don't need one and you have enough eating choices on Caulker.

Room Tip: If you're after clean,comfortable accommodation at a very reasonable price then you can't do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Idaho Falls, ID
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Although I read all of the great reviews on the Ocean Pearle prior to staying there, I really didn't expect it to be as good as it was. We had 4 rooms, all but 1 bordered Wet Willy's - which wasn't a problem, even for my husband who can't stand ANY noise and is a very fussy sleeper! Contrary to what other reviews said, they aren't opened all night - they close when the dinner crowd is over - around 9-10 PM. Speaking of Wet Willy's - eat there, the food is great! OK, more on the rooms - they are clean, beds were comfortable, coming from me that says a lot as I have 2 bad hips and I had no problem with them. My only problem there was we had no hot water and it was very disappointing - 3 of the 4 rooms had no hot water - I meant to ask Gertraude about it, but I forgot. Speaking of Gertraude - again, contrary to what a few said about her, she is friendly, just very reserved and you have to start the conversation; I found her warm and caring! The location of the Ocean Pearle was great and access to the beach was great as well. The yard outside of the hotel was beautiful; all plantings were chosen by Gertraude and were much appreciated by both my husband and I who are avid gardeners! The overall ambience of the hotel was much more than I expected and it exceeded ALL expectations! WOW, worth much more than the cost; we certainly will stay there again - probably check out the cabana's which we didn't know about before! My only regret of the whole trip was not spending time in San Pedro; we chose not to, as we loved Caye Caulker and our time was limited!

Room Tip: Honestly, we had no problems with any of our rooms - no noise on the Wet Willy's side as other c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ft. Qu'Appelle, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We are beginning our second week in one of Gertraud's cabanas and we couldn't be more pleased with the accomodations. The cabanas at the Ocean Pearl Hotel have the three most important amenities we look for in our travels, comfortable beds, hot water showers and cooking facilities.
The cabanas are set in a large, peaceful garden where you can sit undisturbed on your porch, visit under the trees with other guests or just catch a hammock nap in the sun or shade.
Gertraud and Frenchie work hard to keep the hotel clean and safe while promoting the "Go Slow" lifestyle prevalent to Caye Caulker.
We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side maybe somewhat quieter than those that back on to Wish Willy's restaura...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I loved staying in a casita at Ocean Pearl! It had everything I needed for just $45 (U.S.) a night, including a mini-kitchen with hotplate, A/C, a flatscreen TV, a private bathroom with hot water, a cute porch with chairs & hammocks, & a comfy bed. The owner, Gertrude, was friendly & the location on a quiet side street was perfect for me. It's still very close to town & the ocean, but far enough away that it stays quiet & safe. There were a couple of huge cockroaches in my casita, but I guess that's island living. This place was an excellent value & I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Caye Caulker is beautiful Island who changed over the last 20 years in a positive way. There is a range of accommodations to stay in anybody’s budget. In all this years I found the perfect please to stay, Ocean Pearle Royale Hotel. It’s just a half block away from the water front, clean rooms with a shower and your own toilet. The basic rooms start from U$ 30. - a night and the ones with air-conditioning you pay a little more.

This hotel is a little north on the Island just 3 minutes from the Split and 1 minute from Frenchie’s Diving. If you visit the Island by water taxi or plane and have luggage with you I suggest to take a Taxi cab what has a flat rate on the Island. And with taxi cab I mean Golf carts.

Room Tip: My rating is based on the price and comfort at this low budget hotel. I am sure a 4-star hotel is m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Less than $30 USD for a private room with bath and hot n cold water. The great room is cozy as well. It is hostel style so you can hear people in the common room and the adjacent rooms. It's clean comfortable and you can have your room turned with fresh towels if you want.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Ocean Pearle Royale Hotel? Share your experiences!