“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Iowa
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Like others reviewers have said... this is the ideal spot for views and quiet without a lot of the hubbub of Front Steet. Everything in CC is in walking distance but Kokomo is in a great location for walking. Did I mention the view???
If I had any suggestions (this is not a complaint...) would be lamps in the rooms vs light from the ceiling fan(s), better towels/sheets(ours looked pretty 'used'), kitchen towels, bottled water and a microwave. We rented 2 other places - 10 in our party - and all had the above amentities.
Readers of these reviews need to remember that this is NOT Cancun, NOT San Pablo,NOT commercialized...it is 'Go Slow'.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Like another reviewer, I had problems with being overcharged on my credit card before I arrived.

The positives: right next to the water taxi, perfect views, big room, very nice staff and a quick walk anywhere.

The negatives: right near the water taxi (too much boat traffic for swimming off the pier), only had windows in the front (limited light and no cross breeze), bedding had that familiar central American hostel smell (not what I would expect for the price) and its expensive compared to similar options.

I wouldn't stay here again. If you wanted to spend money, stay at seaside cabanas. Alternatively, pay much less and have a similar experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed five nights in Kokomo suite #2 (ground floor) in June and really enjoyed it. The apartment is a generous size, but the only windows are on the front so the bedroom does not get any natural sunlight. There are air conditioners in both the living and bedroom. The kitchen is small and had limited supplies, but when we asked for additional cups and forks it was not a problem. We were also offered a microwave and beach towels. We spent a lot of time in the hammocks reading, riding bikes around the island, scuba diving and swimming off the taxi boat pier and the spit. A very relaxed holiday and would highly recommend Kokomos even though it is a bit expensive (USD$100/night) for Caye Caulker

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

See the hotel's picture? That's how it really looks. Kokomo Beach's location is perfect. The building's colors pop out, it is as if a child painted the structure in day-glo hues. The famous Split is just minutes away on foot. The water taxis are literally, just next door, without being obtrusive. Kokomo's 'beachfront' description is accurate; it promises and delivers lovely views.

However, there were glitches. Mind you, these glitches were fixed, but having a number of things go wrong was irritating. First of all, we were charged twice even before we got there. Eventually, this double charge was refunded. Next, the Internet service didn't work my first day there ( I somehow could not log on for the rest of my stay but fortunately, I was given access to another nearby company's server). Having Wi-fi is crucial in my case since I work online. I did not think I'd have to worry about online service when it was part of the deal that I signed up for. Thirdly, the air conditioner malfunctioned in another guest's room. Even if it was not our problem, we were informed that our own power would shut off while the air conditioner upstairs was being fixed.

The fridge was big and worked well, but the 'kitchen' is a misnomer since it was poorly stocked. I wish they'd include a microwave, at least. The king sized bed was gigantic, but the bathroom was less than ideal with missing fixtures and a grimy looking tiled shower floor.

See? There are positives and negatives with this accommodation which sorts of balances things out. However, since ours was a lifetime and much awaited vacation of just a few days , having these stumbling blocks added stress when none was desired. I went to Belize to relax but the hotel's problems kept me from just 'chilling out' since I had to spend time trying to get things fixed (my credit card and the Internet).

There were other hotels I saw that I had considered; I somewhat regretted that I chose Kokomo.

Don't get me wrong; if these mishaps had not occurred, I would have been happy at Kokomo. But they did, and that is why Kokomo Beach does not get my stamp of approval.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I arrived at Kokomo Beach Suites with the intention of staying only two nights, but within the first hour we changed our trip to stay for 6! It was that amazing! The hotel itself is beautiful and bright and super clean. It has a minimal kitchen which was perfect for keeping drinks cold and easy cooking, the beds are brand new with the softest sheets, and there's even AC and cable TV, perfect for beating the mid day heat. Mar, the hotels manager, was kind beyond belief and really made us feel at home. She even helped us with bus routes for our next destination, went snokling with us when I said I was scared, and kept us informed about all sorts of fun activities happening on the island. A bonus is the beautiful hammocks on your balcony that provide front row seats to the caribbean sunrise..... and the hotel is enviromentaly friendly (sheets changed on request, etc.)!

I myself work in hostels around the world, so can personally recommend this to all travelers with a flair for adventure! If your needs are that of a chain hotel then I would recommend staying at another island as Caye Caulker is a small island with no corporate businesses. If you are a backpacker who prefers boutique hostels (meaning more then just a basic bunk), a family with kids, females traveling solo or in groups, or just want a beautiful hotel that you feel at home in, then Kokomo Beach Suites is perfect for you.

I can not say enough how wonderful our experience here was..... thank you Mar and her little dog Xica for such a lovely stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort St. John (Northern BC)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Kokomo is a little piece of paradise! We got off the water taxi and the hotel was right there, it was so convenient! The beach was fabulous with all new fresh sand. I spent many hours bathing in the sun on the private beach, the view was so fantastic. What great value for beach front hotel! We love the colorful rooms and cheery disposition of this hotel. The rooms were incredibly clean and spacious with a huge living area and I was surprised to see a full sized stainless fridge in the kitchenette. This is the only place on the island I could find with a king size bed! Even the bathroom was spacious and fully tiled with large rain style shower head. The location is absolutely ideal because you are only a minutes walk away from everything. My favorite moment was watching the light of the moon dance on the ocean, it was the most romantic way to spend the night!

Room Tip: King beds!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I just came back from an amazing 20 backpacking trip in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. A definite highlight of my trip was the two days I spent at Kokomo Beach. It was amazing in so many ways. Practically, it was centrally located, very easy to get to water taxi as well as any of the wonderful bars and restaurants. At the same time there was an exclusive, private feel about the place. The private beachfront we had was also fantastic, as so much of my holiday was spent in shared spaces. Quirkily it was adorable, with its little min pin mascot and bright colors. The lady that manages the places was cheerful, mellow and patient. Comfortably there was air-conditioning, wifi, a private kitchen, high thread count sheets, comfortable beds, and extremely clean. Everything you could want in comfort without losing the island feel. I cannot wait to go back!! Everyday was better than the one before because everyday was more relaxing than the one before. The only suggestion I have, if you are travelling as I did, do this little island and this wonderful hotel at the END of your trip, not the beginning. The relaxation here is the perfect end to a busy holiday.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kokomo Beach? Share your experiences!