“Excellent Location...but lots of glitches” 3 of 5 stars

Kokomo Beach
Beachfront | PO Box 55, Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Ranked #13 of 30 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
seattle
“Excellent Location...but lots of glitches”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

See the hotel's picture? That's how it really looks. Kokomo Beach's location is perfect. The building's colors pop out, it is as if a child painted the structure in day-glo hues. The famous Split is just minutes away on foot. The water taxis are literally, just next door, without being obtrusive. Kokomo's 'beachfront' description is accurate; it promises and delivers lovely views.

However, there were glitches. Mind you, these glitches were fixed, but having a number of things go wrong was irritating. First of all, we were charged twice even before we got there. Eventually, this double charge was refunded. Next, the Internet service didn't work my first day there ( I somehow could not log on for the rest of my stay but fortunately, I was given access to another nearby company's server). Having Wi-fi is crucial in my case since I work online. I did not think I'd have to worry about online service when it was part of the deal that I signed up for. Thirdly, the air conditioner malfunctioned in another guest's room. Even if it was not our problem, we were informed that our own power would shut off while the air conditioner upstairs was being fixed.

The fridge was big and worked well, but the 'kitchen' is a misnomer since it was poorly stocked. I wish they'd include a microwave, at least. The king sized bed was gigantic, but the bathroom was less than ideal with missing fixtures and a grimy looking tiled shower floor.

See? There are positives and negatives with this accommodation which sorts of balances things out. However, since ours was a lifetime and much awaited vacation of just a few days , having these stumbling blocks added stress when none was desired. I went to Belize to relax but the hotel's problems kept me from just 'chilling out' since I had to spend time trying to get things fixed (my credit card and the Internet).

There were other hotels I saw that I had considered; I somewhat regretted that I chose Kokomo.

Don't get me wrong; if these mishaps had not occurred, I would have been happy at Kokomo. But they did, and that is why Kokomo Beach does not get my stamp of approval.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I arrived at Kokomo Beach Suites with the intention of staying only two nights, but within the first hour we changed our trip to stay for 6! It was that amazing! The hotel itself is beautiful and bright and super clean. It has a minimal kitchen which was perfect for keeping drinks cold and easy cooking, the beds are brand new with the softest sheets, and there's even AC and cable TV, perfect for beating the mid day heat. Mar, the hotels manager, was kind beyond belief and really made us feel at home. She even helped us with bus routes for our next destination, went snokling with us when I said I was scared, and kept us informed about all sorts of fun activities happening on the island. A bonus is the beautiful hammocks on your balcony that provide front row seats to the caribbean sunrise..... and the hotel is enviromentaly friendly (sheets changed on request, etc.)!

I myself work in hostels around the world, so can personally recommend this to all travelers with a flair for adventure! If your needs are that of a chain hotel then I would recommend staying at another island as Caye Caulker is a small island with no corporate businesses. If you are a backpacker who prefers boutique hostels (meaning more then just a basic bunk), a family with kids, females traveling solo or in groups, or just want a beautiful hotel that you feel at home in, then Kokomo Beach Suites is perfect for you.

I can not say enough how wonderful our experience here was..... thank you Mar and her little dog Xica for such a lovely stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort St. John (Northern BC)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Kokomo is a little piece of paradise! We got off the water taxi and the hotel was right there, it was so convenient! The beach was fabulous with all new fresh sand. I spent many hours bathing in the sun on the private beach, the view was so fantastic. What great value for beach front hotel! We love the colorful rooms and cheery disposition of this hotel. The rooms were incredibly clean and spacious with a huge living area and I was surprised to see a full sized stainless fridge in the kitchenette. This is the only place on the island I could find with a king size bed! Even the bathroom was spacious and fully tiled with large rain style shower head. The location is absolutely ideal because you are only a minutes walk away from everything. My favorite moment was watching the light of the moon dance on the ocean, it was the most romantic way to spend the night!

Room Tip: King beds!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I just came back from an amazing 20 backpacking trip in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. A definite highlight of my trip was the two days I spent at Kokomo Beach. It was amazing in so many ways. Practically, it was centrally located, very easy to get to water taxi as well as any of the wonderful bars and restaurants. At the same time there was an exclusive, private feel about the place. The private beachfront we had was also fantastic, as so much of my holiday was spent in shared spaces. Quirkily it was adorable, with its little min pin mascot and bright colors. The lady that manages the places was cheerful, mellow and patient. Comfortably there was air-conditioning, wifi, a private kitchen, high thread count sheets, comfortable beds, and extremely clean. Everything you could want in comfort without losing the island feel. I cannot wait to go back!! Everyday was better than the one before because everyday was more relaxing than the one before. The only suggestion I have, if you are travelling as I did, do this little island and this wonderful hotel at the END of your trip, not the beginning. The relaxation here is the perfect end to a busy holiday.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This might be the most brightly coloured small hotel you will ever find. We spent four nights and loved it. The hotel is feet from the water taxi so highly accessible, well located on this small island. The rooms were large, spacious, clean and had kitchen facilities which we never used because the food on the island is so good. We would snorkle or explore for the day, come back to our bright little hotel, get cleaned up, have a drink on a beach chair at the water and then go for a great dinner. The hotel was also quiet, and the staff person was very friendly with her little dog always dressed in a different outfit. the hammocks on the roff were covered, so spent some time sitting in the shade reading a book and relaxing. The water view was amazing. The only negative on the island is that there is not the big sand beaches, but we did not miss them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stayed here for a week and every day my trip got even better! I never wanted to leave!!! I love this little island - it's unlike anything I've ever seen! I ventured all over and looked at all the other places to stay and am so glad I stayed at Kokomo!!! The view is absolutely incredible! The suites were really spacious, clean and cute! It is the perfect spot on the island and the water and breeze is beautiful and the view... the view!!!! To die for! You have to stay here when you go to Caye Caulker!

Room Tip: All of the suites have a great view! :)
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Bodden Town, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Our stay at Kokomo Beach was great...the service was great and the view in the morning is beautiful. My wife and I spent our 23rd honeymoon at the resort and we will definatley be returning!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kokomo Beach? Share your experiences!