“Fly fishing in the flats for Bonefish” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 29 Activities in Caye Caulker
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing expert guide service for fly fishing and spin fishing. Full day, half day, night fishing and overnight trips. Charter boat service, snorkel trips, remote camping, beach BBQ, Island Hopping, also rentals of kayaks, fishing rods, snorkel gear, sea scooters, and tents. Located by the split Caye Caulker Belize
“Fly fishing in the flats for Bonefish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2014 NEW

Excellent day on the water, conditions were a little less than ideal as the winds and rain came the night before our trip, but with only 2 days left in our trip we had to get out. Raf had us on the bonefish, but they we're easily spooked today. We kept after it, had a few chances at Tarpon (out of season) and finally hooked and landed some bonefish at the end of the day. My wife was a trooper and watched me cast all day. I finally got my bonefish and we got her up there to work on casting. She didn't think she was very good but we got her to where she was casting well enough, had her throw the line out and let the fly sink a bit and told her to start stripping in the line and wouldn't you know it she hooked a bonefish! She managed to land it and we got the pictures everyone loves to get. Point is, you need to appreciate how hard sport fishing is and you never know what will happen, but the guide's job is to give you chances which we had in tough conditions. If you have days here, it's best to stay in communication with Barefoot so you can get out on day that is suited for fly fishing for these fish!

3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Fishing Experience with Expert Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

A day trip with Rafael was like fishing with an old buddy or cousin - Fantastic! All I wanted to do was fish another three days if I could. This was my wife's first fishing experience ever, and my first time out with Raf. The three of us headed to some of his favorite spots in a scene that is an experience in itself, including the boat ride. Previous reviews do a great job describing the storybook waterscapes. We chose the right guide and the right trip he had to offer. On top of it all, we tapped into small barracuda, jack fish, red snapper, snapper, and huge snook! My wife the animal lover really enjoyed the experience seeing Manatee and the sport of catch and release. Catch and eat was also something we all enjoyed as well. I highly recommend a day trip with Raf.

Visited December 2014
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Un-Belize-ible day fly fishing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

Terrific day sight fishing for bones and tarpon. Raf keeps a tidy, well maintained vessel and had the knowledge and skill to put me onto some serious fish. Raf knew exactly what I wanted in a days fishing -- to see a fish, to cast to a fish and to catch a fish. Even as a novice fly caster I managed a decent bonefish and a nice tarpon both in water barely ankle deep. Only thing keeping me back from a cricket score high catch was my own ability -- I suspect seasoned fly fishers would catch a lot more! All day Raf worked very hard to find me fish and I could not be happier with his service.
Would highly recommend. I'm already planning my next trip with the Barefoot fisherman

Visited November 2014
““We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness” (Josef Conrad)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

At times I was reminded of Josef Conrad's Heart of Darkness, we were going up a river with scant idea of where we were headed, just our guide--Raf, knowing what lurked below the surface, possibly monsters....this was my fourth time to fish with him and honestly I have never had a better day--storms out at sea, and on land and in between there we were, dead still, perfect weather and tarpon rolling and boiling on the surface for the whole day. Landed five, hooked another fifteen in all sizes from 10-12 lbs up to 60-75 lbs. Add in a few jack crevalle and barracuda and you have the perfect day. Raf has an old timer's knowledge of the rivers and creeks and flats and mangroves combined with the adventure of a younger man still. He seriously knows his water at home and on the mainland. They weren't just fish, they were the monsters that haunt my dreams.
We fished for several hours, barely moving the boat, allowing the current to shift us back and fourth. At first the fished rolled and slapped the water, then as the overhead sun warmed the waters, they dropped deeper but remained hungry. We allowed the files to sink deeper and deeper, counting to ten then fifteen to ensure they were down. Then strip the line up in long gliding pulls sounding like a snake sliding through grass just onshore. Then set. Then set again. Again. Fishing pulling in a tug of war broadside to the boat, burrowing back to the bottom of the river, burning flesh in wet fly line. Finally given into to a doldrum and pushing further inland, we caught barracuda on a troll, then jacks then found a local who took us further in to a lagoon and more tarpon. And manatees. And more barracuda, this time jerking and fighting in the floor of the boat and attacking another fisherman in the process. And snook that could care less that we had made good casts.
An absolutely epic day of fishing.
The other days were good too. But this was art, science and a good guide.
I will be back.

Visited August 2014
San Francisco, California
“Monster Tarpon!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have fished all over the world and Tarpon was on my fish bucket list. Raf definitely knows his stuff. We were not disappointed. My wife caught the first fish, around a 20 lb tarpon. I hooked into a monster who proceeded to drag the boat around for about 1 1/2 hours before we finally released it. I was able to land a 100 pounder for photo op followed by a successful release. Definitely a great outfit, I would highly recommend.