“Nothing fancy to be expected” 3 of 5 stars

De Real Macaw
Hicaco Ave., Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Denver, Colorado
“Nothing fancy to be expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

De Real Macaw was a last minute idea on our part. We had just returned to Caye Caulker from a trip to San Ignacio, and at the last minute decided to try and fit in one more day on the island.

De Real Macaw is on the beach... well pretty close to it. It is also near the majority of the restaurants, bars, and the split that populate the north side of the island. The hotel faces the small shopping/vendor area that can become loud and a bit offensive at times. That is of course beyond the control of the hotel.

The rooms were small, but the AC worked fine... so well I had to turn it off at night to be able to sleep. This is mainly because of the sparse bedding that is provided. The hammock on the front porch was great and I spent a good deal of time swinging in it and reading my book in the evenings.

All in all it is an average place to stay (for Caye Caulker) though I think you can get better accommodations or a better deal with a little prior planning or a little harder look.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Trempealeau, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I want to be careful here, because I stayed here for only a few hours and I think certain travelers would like this place better than I did. I arranged to stay here for four nights, but when I got to my room (a "beachfront" room, which was one of the best on the property) I decided to check out immediately, forfeit one night's fee, and find somewhere else (Seaside Cabanas; see review). The main problem was that the room was too dark. This was not the kind of thing a lamp or two could fix; it was like a cave. I also felt the room was laid out poorly and, generally, not very nice. Adding to the problem was that you could not open the window unless you wanted to give up all privacy. The room is right on the island's main road, and the area in front of the room is a hang-out for some of the locals. They weren't in the least threatening (although once walking past I was asked if I wanted to buy some pot), but who wants to have everyone walking past be able to look into your room? Perhaps someone of the "I don't spend time in my room, anyhow" ilk would find this place acceptable, but I wanted something a bit nicer. I will say the folks who run the place were a pleasure to deal with when I arranged to stay there, and I'm disappointed things didn't work out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

My sister and I loved our stay in Caye Caulker, and De Real Macaw just added to our fabulous trip. It is centrally located and became the meeting spot for all the great people we met on the island. Jessie, who runs the place, is friendly and very helpful. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are clean and all you need while you enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the Island. I loved lounging on our cabin hammock, saying, "hello" to all the locals, visitors, etc. who would pass by (everyone is so friendly, it felt like an adult summer camp). Everything closes up around 9 pm, and by 10pm the island is quiet (except at the I & I tree house bar!). Eventually three of us stayed in one room, and it was spacious and comfortable. I have NO complaints and would stay there again.
Oh, and it is worth spending the extra money in Caye Caulker. Our friends staying at the hostels for $20 a night left with bed bug bites and ticks! We were happy to pay $60-70 split between three of us.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

I stayed at De Real Macaw with some girlfriends. The place was clean and convenient. The vendors in the stalls were a bit noisy but it stopped by about 9:00 or 9:30. They were loud, but were friendly with us and did not bother us. We were on the second floor and did actually have an obstructed view of the water from the porch. We did have a mix up on getting the place cleaned. The previous renters took the key back to Canada by mistake and we were out when the maids tried to clean. They were very apologetic.

• Liked — Convenient
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

I am very sorry but I have to say that this place is not the one you want to stay in Caye Caulker.
I went to Caye Caluker the last month to spend a couple of days and I asked specifically for a room with sea views. The owner assured me that my room would have nice views. You can imagine my surprise, when I arrived there were no views at all, in fact the room was in the backyard with no view from the room and from the veranda we could not see the sea either.
I asked the owner to reimburse my money because I'd look for another place, what we finally did, however she refused to give me back the money for my booking and insisted that there were views from the room. views, you can see at the attached pictures.
I really ask you all, to avoid this place and to punish this type of fraud & moneymaking. there are plenty of nice places on the island and I think that people like this doesn't deserve customers in their Hostal.
For me the most important is not the place itself but at least the honesty & commitment of the owners when you ask for something.

many thanks

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mississipp
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

De Real Macaw was a very nice place and we'd stay there again. But stay away from Seahawk Tours, which seems to be associated with the hotel. It seems to be run by two guy named Steve. We took a tour to Lamanai with the younger Steve. It was very badly organized. We got to spend very little time at the site and no time at the museum. He had said our fee was all-inclusive but we ended up paying the entrance fee to the site and he refused to reimburse us. We didn't find him very honest. So, stay at De Real Macaw but go touring with Tsunami or Raggamuffin.

• Liked — Nice staff
  • Disliked — Staff not always around
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DeRealMacaw, Owner at De Real Macaw, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Our Hotel has NO affiliation with Sea Hawk or Black Hawk tours (same business). The owner,
Steve, and his tour guides sit in the street right next to our office to book their tours. Since they do NOT have an office, people often believe that the office at "De Real Macaw" is his office.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

This place looks great and very laid back. I had a really good time staying here. The best part is that everying is so close. The owners were ok.

I stayed in the cabana (upstairs). I loved the cabana and my private porch with hammock. The bed is cool. You get some view of the sea, but the cabana is at the back, so the view is blocked. But you know the view overrated. Go to the beach, sit there for a while and there, you looked at the sea. I didn't even notice. A couple of times I rotated the tv and watched it from the hammock on the porch. It's very cosy. I really liked my space.

Someone wrote about street vendors. Yes, this is as central as it gets. It's right on the main street. During the day, all the vendors are over there, lots of foot traffic. That was actually a good thing for me, because I stayed in a more remote hotel earlier and this was a nice change. I spent quite a few hours looking through the vendor stalls. Great crafts. The locals sometimes are a bit noisy. There was a weird beared Jamaican sleeping on the hammock in the yard. I think he may have been employed by the hotel.

I wouldn't stay in the front rooms. There really are a lot of questionable people out on the street. The back is more remote secluded though. Feels much safer and calmer. At night, you may hear street dogs. There are packs of 20 sometimes barking at night. It's not so bad. They don;t go for long. The locals really treat these animals horribly. I saw some chasing and kicking a dog. It's pretty shocking.

The walls are thin. Second night, a couple with an infant stayed below. It was ok, but a couple of times during the day he cried and you can hear it pretty well.

Another thing: a salamander may go through your bathroom window at night and stay on the wall. He runs away, but he's quite large (3-4 inches) so he might spook you. Scared the hell out of me one time. It was kind of funny looking. Overall, an interesting encounter. See the pictures.

I booked in person. It's not hard to find accomodations in April without a reservation.

• Liked — cabana in the back, room, hammock, appearance
  • Disliked — people who hang out in the vicinity, yard opens out onto a busy street
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to De Real Macaw? Share your experiences!