“worse stay ever- robbed from the room” 1 of 5 stars

Tropical Paradise Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   #1 Luciano St., Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Ranked #18 of 30 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Rome, Lazio, Italy
“worse stay ever- robbed from the room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

we stayed here for 4 nights- and we thought we found paradise on earth. the rooms were clean, nice view to the sea(we had the top caban), quiet and well equipped. BUT the staff was not helpful at all(both at reception and at restaurant). furthermore, in the last day I realized my wallet had been stolen from the room- and the owner blamed us for leaving the door open. there is a safe in the room but it doesn't work. my partner and i have been living in crisis countries for a while- we NEVER leave the door open. they have a security system with video cameras- but they were not able to get anything, that is if they ever looked. in any case- the attitude was just unpleasant.

Room Tip: don't go there
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Caye Caulker
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel for about one and a half weeks, so I think I've seen enough of the way in which the hotel is run and maintained in order to give a qualified review.

The hotel was recommended to us by our taxi driver who presumably gets a commission from them in order to bring lost tourists straight from the pier when they arrive.

The first bad experience was that there were cockroaches in our bathroom! We soon changed our room, also because we wanted to have a double bed, rather than two single beds. The hygiene of the second room, however, did not seem to be much better. There was a smell which simply wouldn't go away. The staff told us that the guests who occupied the room before used some "medicine". In reality, the staff used an insecticide in order to presumably get rid of cockroaches or other bugs in that room as well! Based on these two experiences I would say that the rooms of this hotel generally seem to be bug infested!

Apart from the fact that the smell in our second room was terrible and probably not healthy either, the noise coming from the bar was quite loud. It turned out that it was the staff having a blast after midnight But when their own clients go there to ask them to please be a bit more quiet as they are trying to sleep, they just give them looks.

This leads to the second big issue that I had with this hotel: The staff is not very nice! They seem to be under pressure from their management to collect money from their guests every single day, even from those - like us - who keep assuring them that they are still staying for a bit. While, I guess, that is not unreasonable, it is certainly not representative for Belize. But the worst about it is how they treated us. Once, for instance, after a long day out diving we came back and found a note on our door urging us quite impolitely to pay, although we had only not paid for that day and the day before. But the most unbelievable aspect of this was that on one morning they suddenly kicked us out, saying that our room had been reserved. When I asked them why they didn't tell us, the receptionist said they couldn't find us (obviously because we were mostly out all day). When I asked why they could leave us a note to urge us to pay but not leave us a note to inform us that our room had been reserved, she didn't know how to respond.

Another issue: The cleaning staff kept taking our towels because they mistakenly believed them to be the hotel's towels. They even took them out of our bags etc. if they were visible. Although they tried to find my towel again, they didn't...

Overall, because of hygiene issues and because of the unacceptable staff behaviour and management culture, I have to give Tropical Paradise a negative rating. But the good price quality ratio of their restaurant saves them from the worst possible rating.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
as yet unknown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

After staying at this hotel for a week, my boyfriend experienced a medical emergency - he came down with decompression sickness (also called the bends) after scuba diving, a condition which can be fatal or leave one permanently disabled or paralyzed. As our phones did not work in Belize, I rushed to find the staff. As it was after hours, they were in the restaurant and the office was closed. I asked to use the phone to make AN EMERGENCY CALL, and THE SAID NO. I explained the situation and they still said No. I was crying and distraught, and there was no language barrier. The owner of the place said I should go down the street to buy a phone card, and then he would let me use it on his cell phone. I begged to use his phone, and asked if he could come to our room (just about 5 meters away) so I could be near my boyfriend and put him on the phone with the paramedics or doctor, as they would need to speak to him about his symptoms. HE SAID NO. He would not come, he would not let me borrow the phone. He said "no one would let you take their cell phone". We were guests, staying more than a week, and this was the owner. He just seemed amused, and the man he was having dinner with was actually laughing at me! We eventually found help and my boyfriend had to spend a week in the hyperbaric chamber on a neighboring island being treated for the illness. In instances like that after a diving accident, getting help as soon as possible is absolutely vital. The owner used to be a dive instructor so should know perfectly well about "the bends" and their dangers. This was beyond unbelievable.

As for the rest of our stay:
It is sad to have to write such a negative review of this place, as the potential for a great place is there. There have a little "beach" area with pleasant (if hard) loungers and a dock for sunbathing and to swim and avoid the sea grass nearer the shore. Our first two nights there was only a tiny room with two twin beds available (that couldn't be pushed together), but the water pressure was good and the shower was hot - not always a given in many Central American places we stayed.

The second day my boyfriend found a cockroach the size of a credit card in the bathroom. Horrifying. Also, the fans didn't work. This was Room #3. They then moved us to room #5 as it became available, which was larger and had beds that could be pushed together. The door was wide open as were the windows. I noticed an odd unpleasant smell, but the told me it was only a "medicine" used by the previous guests, and they were airing it out. However the smell did NOT go away even after two days of constant airing and the fans on full blast. At night, it was so chokingly bad that I couldn't sleep. When I complained, they came and sprayed air freshener and Lysol all over the place. Like, saturated it.

After a few days a different room, #2, opened up and we moved there. It was then that the cleaning lady told us that the smell was bug killer! Poison! And we slept in there for three nights.

The only positive thing was Marcy, a new hire who worked at the front desk and was extremely nice and helpful. The rest of the managing staff is beyond callous and horrible and endangered the life of one of their guests because they would not let us use the phone in a medical emergency. A local call. Not only that but they were totally unconcerned. After staying there for nearly two weeks, they also gave us NO NOTICE that a long-standing reservation required us to move out. They only told us at 9am that we needed to be out by 11am. As my BF was ill this was very inconvenient.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Caye Caulker is a tropical paradise, and Tropical Paradise Hotel offers the perfect setting and amenities to fully immerse yourself in the island life. The staff were very friendly, even working with us on checkout day so I could get in a couple more dives! The restaurant is very good, as well! Excellent!

• Stayed February 2012
Kuopio, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed at the tropical paradise for 3 days with my girl friend and a friend we were travelling with. a 3 person room was cheaper during the off season then cheapest backpacker place. The rooms were clean and had private showers. The reggae bar I'n I is close by. Go have a look if you like the chill out clubbing seen. The restaurant discount is a hustle!!! do not eat there. Eat at pirate's! it's the best place on the island.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We spent a months touring through Mexico and Belize and the Tropical Paradise was the treat. It was very well priced and clean. The family who owns it were wonderful. We stayed in one of the cabanas. Be clear this is a family run budget hotel on Caye Caulker, if you are looking for full frills and 5 starts you are clearly looking at the wrong island. We loved swimming off the hotel pier and sitting on their little beach in a warm evening breeze. We did not want to leave and hope to be back!

The only annoying part was that the sheets on the bed were over washed and needed to be retired, they would not stay on the bed! Eventually they changed them to new(er) sheets that stayed on. We also got clean towels everyday.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to say on the beach, this is it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We chose a bungalow here, no ocean view but a good communal sitting area on the waterfront, cable tv, internet and a very convenient location - it just isn't that great - everything is kind of old, a bit shabby, and the grounds aren't so clean. It's OK, not a place to rave about....

Room Tip: We heard that the rooms are a better value than the bungalows...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropical Paradise Hotel? Share your experiences!