“Laughed at me in a medical emergency, bug infested” 1 of 5 stars

Tropical Paradise Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   #1 Luciano St., Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Ranked #21 of 30 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
as yet unknown
“Laughed at me in a medical emergency, bug infested”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

After staying at this hotel for a week, my boyfriend experienced a medical emergency - he came down with decompression sickness (also called the bends) after scuba diving, a condition which can be fatal or leave one permanently disabled or paralyzed. As our phones did not work in Belize, I rushed to find the staff. As it was after hours, they were in the restaurant and the office was closed. I asked to use the phone to make AN EMERGENCY CALL, and THE SAID NO. I explained the situation and they still said No. I was crying and distraught, and there was no language barrier. The owner of the place said I should go down the street to buy a phone card, and then he would let me use it on his cell phone. I begged to use his phone, and asked if he could come to our room (just about 5 meters away) so I could be near my boyfriend and put him on the phone with the paramedics or doctor, as they would need to speak to him about his symptoms. HE SAID NO. He would not come, he would not let me borrow the phone. He said "no one would let you take their cell phone". We were guests, staying more than a week, and this was the owner. He just seemed amused, and the man he was having dinner with was actually laughing at me! We eventually found help and my boyfriend had to spend a week in the hyperbaric chamber on a neighboring island being treated for the illness. In instances like that after a diving accident, getting help as soon as possible is absolutely vital. The owner used to be a dive instructor so should know perfectly well about "the bends" and their dangers. This was beyond unbelievable.

As for the rest of our stay:
It is sad to have to write such a negative review of this place, as the potential for a great place is there. There have a little "beach" area with pleasant (if hard) loungers and a dock for sunbathing and to swim and avoid the sea grass nearer the shore. Our first two nights there was only a tiny room with two twin beds available (that couldn't be pushed together), but the water pressure was good and the shower was hot - not always a given in many Central American places we stayed.

The second day my boyfriend found a cockroach the size of a credit card in the bathroom. Horrifying. Also, the fans didn't work. This was Room #3. They then moved us to room #5 as it became available, which was larger and had beds that could be pushed together. The door was wide open as were the windows. I noticed an odd unpleasant smell, but the told me it was only a "medicine" used by the previous guests, and they were airing it out. However the smell did NOT go away even after two days of constant airing and the fans on full blast. At night, it was so chokingly bad that I couldn't sleep. When I complained, they came and sprayed air freshener and Lysol all over the place. Like, saturated it.

After a few days a different room, #2, opened up and we moved there. It was then that the cleaning lady told us that the smell was bug killer! Poison! And we slept in there for three nights.

The only positive thing was Marcy, a new hire who worked at the front desk and was extremely nice and helpful. The rest of the managing staff is beyond callous and horrible and endangered the life of one of their guests because they would not let us use the phone in a medical emergency. A local call. Not only that but they were totally unconcerned. After staying there for nearly two weeks, they also gave us NO NOTICE that a long-standing reservation required us to move out. They only told us at 9am that we needed to be out by 11am. As my BF was ill this was very inconvenient.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Caye Caulker is a tropical paradise, and Tropical Paradise Hotel offers the perfect setting and amenities to fully immerse yourself in the island life. The staff were very friendly, even working with us on checkout day so I could get in a couple more dives! The restaurant is very good, as well! Excellent!

• Stayed February 2012
Kuopio, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed at the tropical paradise for 3 days with my girl friend and a friend we were travelling with. a 3 person room was cheaper during the off season then cheapest backpacker place. The rooms were clean and had private showers. The reggae bar I'n I is close by. Go have a look if you like the chill out clubbing seen. The restaurant discount is a hustle!!! do not eat there. Eat at pirate's! it's the best place on the island.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We spent a months touring through Mexico and Belize and the Tropical Paradise was the treat. It was very well priced and clean. The family who owns it were wonderful. We stayed in one of the cabanas. Be clear this is a family run budget hotel on Caye Caulker, if you are looking for full frills and 5 starts you are clearly looking at the wrong island. We loved swimming off the hotel pier and sitting on their little beach in a warm evening breeze. We did not want to leave and hope to be back!

The only annoying part was that the sheets on the bed were over washed and needed to be retired, they would not stay on the bed! Eventually they changed them to new(er) sheets that stayed on. We also got clean towels everyday.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to say on the beach, this is it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We chose a bungalow here, no ocean view but a good communal sitting area on the waterfront, cable tv, internet and a very convenient location - it just isn't that great - everything is kind of old, a bit shabby, and the grounds aren't so clean. It's OK, not a place to rave about....

Room Tip: We heard that the rooms are a better value than the bungalows...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Faribault, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Tropical Paradise Hotel for 5 nites in Jan. 2012. It had been 22 years since I was last in Caye Caulker. The hotel and restaurant staff were wonderful to us. This family run establishment was here 22 years ago run by the same family.The rooms that are separate cabanas are my favorite. Nice beach chair area. The food was good and the service as good too. You can pay with credit card and even add your restaurant tab wich makes it conveinent. Thanks Femi and family. See you next year.

Room Tip: The searate cabanas are my fav. We didn't need air. It was cool at nite.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
CAYE CAULKER BELIZE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

This is the quietest and safest place to stay in caye caulker.. All my friends and I have been coming back to caye Caulker for years...So it upseting to see people complain about petti things..We were there with the bed bugs but the management lock the room took out all matresses bought new ones and heavely compensated these Guest ..Its the first time but some people who hike dont understand the pick up everything.. We aplauded the Reyes family when they acted so quickly to fix the problem and to please their customers..dont think less of Tropical Paradise these people wanted a free vfacation "My Opinion" This is still the most comfortable place to stay in caye caulker...The food is great and reasonable ..the Burritos are the best...Ask for the Belizean Fry Jacks on your stay you wont regret It...

Room Tip: AC SUITES and Regular Rooms choose from these
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropical Paradise Hotel? Share your experiences!