“Recommended” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Yuma's House Belize

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Yuma's House Belize
You added Yuma's House Belize to your Saves list
Playa Asuncion, Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Planet Earth
“Recommended”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I reserved a few nights in this hostel during my travelling in Central America. I found the owner Susanne to be welcoming and courteous. Personally, I did not mind the rules of the hostel because like most travellers I don't travel to get drunk with random people I don't know. Also the owner lives on site with her young son and she has a right to have rules.

The location of the ideal on the island is excellent! It is on the beach and very close to the water taxi docks. The dorm rooms were too small, but I did change to a single room before the end of my stay. The bathrooms are great! I like the fact that they are big and have a extra changing area in the showers.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

While the hostel itself is very charming and clean the Manager is terrible. She was rude and condescending to my friends and I. We left after one night because we were made to feel like children. It is unfortunate as the hostel is in a great location and it has beautiful outdoor areas to relax in. However, the list of rules was ridiculous!
Spend a few dollars more and you can have a private room with a private bath just down the beach. With no ridiculous rules!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We arrived on Caye Caulker back in November 2010, expecting to be there maybe a week at most. Naughtily we hadn't done our homework really and just pulled out the guide book and tried the most appealing looking place - still named Tina's. We quickly stumbled across the place and saw it had new ownership. We headed in to nab a couple of beds and luckily for us there was room. We immediately realised it was a super awesome spot and the following day changed to a private suite (room 14 is the biggest and best). Within a week we realised we didn't want to move on as it was the perfect xmas and news year, and to cut a long story short we ended up there for over 6 weeks!

The hostel has recently been taking over by a new owner, and I can safely report all the horror stories from previous reviews have been taken care of - Yuma's House is safe, clean and super awesome. The kitchen is also the best we've had in a hostel in 3 months on the road (for xmas eve a hostel pot-luck dinner was organised and 25 different dishes were cooked in it that day!). There's a whole stack of board games available too and downstairs is a great chill-out garden with hammocks and more chairs and tables.

At the time of writing, the hostel only had a shower/toilet upstairs and a further two toilets and another shower downstairs (plus a 3rd shower out in the garden). However, Susanne the new owner had already got plans drawn up to convert a small 2-bed dorm room downstairs into a further toilet and 2 more showers, all she was waiting for was the xmas & new year to pass.

The people we met through that hostel were totally awesome too - there are only 30-odd beds there and the layout is very social so you met everyone really quick. Apart from Xmas and New Years when the hostel was pre-booked weeks in advance, the turnover is quite low (everybody seemed to stay much longer than they initially anticipated). In fact, in the 6 weeks we were there, I think there were only 3 or 4 nights when there was a bed or more free, and that was only due to last minute cancellations late in the day. So if you want to go there, best bet is to email or phone Susanne in advance to secure a spot! Look up the hostel website for contact details.

Finally, we ended up there so long we needed to extend our standard 30 day Belize tourist visa - its easiest done by popping over to San Pedro on the water taxi for the day (less queues than via the immigration office in Belize City). Susanne was very helpful explaining all the bits and pieces we'd need to take over with us and how to find the office (its not super apparent - its above a bank across the road from the San Pedro airport arrivals parking area). Its really easy and quick to get the visa extended, so if you end up wanting to stay for much longer than expected don't let an expiring visa put you off!

Will definitely be back there if I'm ever back in Belize!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Stayed at Yumas for 3 nights between xmas and new years. The hostel was always very clean and had a great location - right on the water and a short walk from everything else. Very comfortable hammocks out front for relaxing in and a good small kitchen upstairs for cooking. It was quiet at night time and beds were comfortable enough considering it is a hostel.
My only complaint is that there is no hot water - but for the price you can't really expect it!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

This hostel is right on the beach, very knowledgeable, friendly owner, and a great way to socialize and meet people. I stay in hostels around the world I think this one is easily in my top 5!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

The best place to stay - right on the beach, near the ferry to Belize City and a great atmosphere, this really is the best place to stay on the Island. Susanah that owns the hostel is always available, always making sure that everything is running smooth, great security, new beds and clean rooms...all in all would defo head back

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I wasn't going to stay here initially (due to the bad reviews about Tina's) but I didn't have much of a choice since I was on a real budget and wanted to be near the beach!. Oh wow, what do you know? It turned out Tina's is now under a new management (new owner from New York....I think her name is Susanne?) and the hostle's new name is Yuma's Place. Anyhow, the place has been completely revamped,security cameras installed, rooms re-painted and speaking with the rest of the guests, there are no more bed bugs!!Woohoooo!! I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Yuma's House Belize? Share your experiences!