“Lovely, quiet, well located.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yuma's House Belize

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Yuma's House Belize
You added Yuma's House Belize to your Saves list
Playa Asuncion, Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Whitehorse, Canada
“Lovely, quiet, well located.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We found Yuma's House (Formerly Tina's Backpackers Hostel) on Tripadisor and booked on line for a week, January 7-14. It is clean, quiet, has a great decor, right on the water's edge next to both docks where boats operate form to San Pedro, Chetumal and Belize City. It is one of the most popular accommodations in Caye Caulker so I would recommend that you book well in advance. (A month or more.) Many visitors get off the boat and walk around looking for a place to stay. While we were there, we must have seen at least 20 people come by and being turned away. We contacted Suzanne by email a week before we went and already, all the private rooms were taken, so we stayed in the 4 bed dorm.
It's a quiet place, even though cetrally located, with a well advertized and well enforced curfew of 11PM. You can go in and out, obviously, but no parties of carrying on after 11. There are two communal kitchens, one on each floor. Strangely enough, there wasn't anything to make coffee with in either kitchens when we got there, so we made cowboy coffee the first three mornings. Then Suzanne, responding to our need, went out and bought a drip coffee maker. Happens that few people drink coffee there. Too bad because Belize coffee is very good.
Because it's a hostel type environment, it's also a great palce to meet people and make friends. For us, that is always a plus as we are eternal travellers and we like to keep track and in touch with people we meet on the road.
Again, we highly recommend Yuma's House in Caye Caulker, Belize. Stay a day, stay a month, spend the winter there. Why not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I planned to go to Belize City actually but finally I got off at the pier and go to the Cayo Cualker all in the sudden! All the backpackers got off at the pier so I did it as well. I have no idea what I will do and where I will stay in Cayo Caulker. Once I get off the boat, I saw this lovely hostel and the price is so reasonable!!! I didnt check for other hostel but just check in for Yuma's House! I love the swing here!!!! I love the chill out atmosphere... I wish there is such a lovely Island with this lovely hostel in my country!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

A friend and I stayed here. We were in a small dorm with only 3 beds, so pretty much a private room. Although it was quite dark it had been decorated really nicely which made up for it. The lockers were great to keep all your valuables too. Susanne the owner was very helpful if you needed anything. The hostel had a lovely vibe to it and you could sit out in the hammocks in the evening and day reading your book and relaxing. It was a sociable hostel without it being a party hostel. Very clean and friendly people. The best place to stay in Caye Caulker, but book ahead they get very busy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Yuma's is a wonderful place to stay in Caye Caulker and has an excellent location, right off the peer from where the boats arrive from Belize City, so doesn't involve a long trek with a backpack - assuming you arrive with one!

Painted in fabulous bright colours, with hammocks aplenty - both within the hostel and out on the deck overlooking the water.

Suzanne was lovely and always very helpful. She runs a tight ship and is very strict, not allowing any visitors, other than guests who are staying at the hostel. I thought this was brilliant and meant that we felt very secure and never worried about security. All dorms are small - max of 4 on bunks - and there's plenty of showers. No hot water, but with great weather, wasn't necessary. Shared kitchen facilities with plenty of space.

The private rooms are very small - with little space other than the bed - but they're very clean and excellent value for money.

Overall, a wonderful stay in Caye Caulker.

Room Tip: We had the best dorm - I forget the room number, but it's the one at the top of the stairs. It...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This place is really clean (including all communal areas and bathrooms), thanks to the German owner who keeps an eye on everything. The staff at front desk is also very friendly and helpful - we got plenty of advice and tips.
Rooms are simple but bright and have everything you need. We took a double room and we very happy with it. There was a bit of noise late at night coming from the basketball court nearby, but we weren't bothered by it.
Very good place for a hostel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I spent about 4-5 nights recently at Yuma's and had a wonderful time. The hostel is very clean and the management was great. It is definitely worth the price ($13.50). One of the reasons I really liked it was because it is not a party hostel. The people there are very chill, and we had a ton of fun, but the place is quiet after 11pm. You can party elsewhere, but it is nice knowing you're coming home to somewhere you can sleep. Location is phenomenal. Some of the other places are too far south.

The only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 is because it can get pretty hot at night if you have a top bunk. After a couple nights I got used to it though (and taking a cold shower right before bed really helps!). There are fans in all the rooms though.

Suzanne is wonderful and it was a great place for vacation. I HIGHLY recommend this place for everyone!

Room Tip: Choose a bottom bunk if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Yuma's for 4 nights this past December. Our room was small, but very clean and perfect for the two of us. Most comfortable bed out of all of the other hostels we stayed at in Belize. The facilities were very clean and Suzanne is very helpful and full of advice if you need it. We really appreciated how only guests and not outsiders are welcome on the property. It felt much safer this way. Very highly recommend Yuma's. There is always a nice breeze since it's located on the water and loved the overall vibe of the place. Would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Yuma's House Belize? Share your experiences!