“Excellent Hostel for a Great Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yuma's House Belize

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Yuma's House Belize
You added Yuma's House Belize to your Saves list
Playa Asuncion, Caye Caulker, Belize   |
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent Hostel for a Great Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I spent about 4-5 nights recently at Yuma's and had a wonderful time. The hostel is very clean and the management was great. It is definitely worth the price ($13.50). One of the reasons I really liked it was because it is not a party hostel. The people there are very chill, and we had a ton of fun, but the place is quiet after 11pm. You can party elsewhere, but it is nice knowing you're coming home to somewhere you can sleep. Location is phenomenal. Some of the other places are too far south.

The only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 is because it can get pretty hot at night if you have a top bunk. After a couple nights I got used to it though (and taking a cold shower right before bed really helps!). There are fans in all the rooms though.

Suzanne is wonderful and it was a great place for vacation. I HIGHLY recommend this place for everyone!

Room Tip: Choose a bottom bunk if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Yuma's for 4 nights this past December. Our room was small, but very clean and perfect for the two of us. Most comfortable bed out of all of the other hostels we stayed at in Belize. The facilities were very clean and Suzanne is very helpful and full of advice if you need it. We really appreciated how only guests and not outsiders are welcome on the property. It felt much safer this way. Very highly recommend Yuma's. There is always a nice breeze since it's located on the water and loved the overall vibe of the place. Would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was a solo traveler staying on Caye Caulker for 4 nights and stayed at Yuma's. I felt completely safe while at Yuma's (which is nice for a young, solo female traveler). Susanne was very welcoming, and it seemed that she tried to get to know everyone by name. It was clean and quiet and offered a great view of the ocean. It was also very conveniently located right by the water taxi jetties. I loved the hammocks that Yuma's has out on their jetty. Recommend for anyone!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I loved Yuma's House!!! It was clean, quiet and perfect for our stay on Caye Caulker.

It's literally right off the boat dock when you exit the water taxi which makes it extremely easy to find. As soon as we walked through the gates, Susanne met us and asked us if we had a reservation. We did and I highly recommend having one, as we saw several people come each day to check if there was availability (and there wasn't). She had our reservation, which I arranged previously through email. I had to send her my credit card number through email but there were no problems. It was $10bz deposit for the key and another $20bz deposit for towels which I thought was kind of expensive.

There are two kitchens, which were great! They had everything you need to make meals at the hostel (pots, pans, oil, salt, pepper etc) and they were kept really clean. There's also a refrigerator on each floor with a sharpie to put your name on your food/drinks. Nobody touched our stuff and we had a full bottle of rum in the fridge during our entire stay. There are also games, books and cards you can borrow.

The rooms were very clean. They do get really hot with the door closed, even with the fan that's provided. As soon as you step outside, it's about 10 degrees cooler with the breeze. There's also a drawer with a lock, which I really liked. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but I didn't expect much. Wifi was strong throughout the entire hostel (and free).

There are bathrooms on each floor. The lower floor had more showers/toilets than the top so if the top floor was occupied, there was always one open on the bottom. Those were kept impeccably clean as well. I saw the two cleaning ladies in there all the time.

My favorite thing about Yuma's House was the common area. There are hammocks and tables set up which are perfect for lounging all day. We would spend hours on them!! So comfortable. There's a palapa on the dock with hammocks that also belongs to the hostel, but they were usually occupied.

I felt extremely safe the whole time. Nobody comes in the hostel unless they're staying there and there's a guard that sits outside every night. Everyone there treated everyone else with respect and cleaned up after themselves. They definitely have a great system going!

One thing I was a little concerned about before arriving on Caye Caulker was how far away everything would be. I couldn't find any information on it and was worried that Yuma's House would be too far away to walk to places. Once I got to the island I realized how small it actually is. Yuma's House is pretty much in the middle and The Split is only about a 8 minute walk. The other side of the island takes the same amount of time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winterthur, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Yuma's House Belize is a great place to stay, it is clean and quiet. The first you'll see every morning is the wonderful turquoise sea. Restaurants, Bars, etc. you'll find within a few steps. The Hostel has enough showers and toilets and two kitchen as well. Susanne, the owner, she's very nice and helpful! Make sure you have a reservation before arriving, the hostel runs very good and can be fully booked out very quick. We loved that place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

A very popular hostel in the Cayes so make sure you reserve. I saw lots of people get turned away, and we wanted to stay an extra day and they didn't have room. The place is very clean! There were cleaners all the time and a security guard at night, which was nice. My only complaint would be that there is no hot water. It's hot in the Cayes, but it's very hard to shower with cold water! Great location, good price, two kitchens, great place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just recently came back from a nice 8 day trip to Caye Caulker and stayed at Yuma's during the entire stay. It's literally right off the water taxi pier. We got there and you can see it from the pier. Being a traveler, there's nothing like an easy find where you don't have to pull out a map and navigate little back streets and alleys to find your hostel. It's nice, bright, and colorful. I was traveling with my husband and my brother so we were able to get a "private room" which was a 3 bed dorm. There are 2 fans in the room but not a window that lets the breeze in so it could get somewhat warm before bed. A tank top and shorts at most to wear to bed.

We met lots of great people who were very like minded, love of travel but no need for any kind of rowdy partying. Lots of people hang out in the courtyard at night time and just talk and have some good laughs. Most people are also early sleepers which was great for us since a couple of days we were up before the sun to go on diving trips.

The staff keep this place spotless. The bathrooms and showers are cleaner than some hotels I've stayed in. I wasn't always afraid of catching some diseases from touching the walls or anything else. Just make sure that you are okay with cold water showers. It took some getting used to but just blot and suds up and eventually you'll get used to it.

Stay here if you are looking for a quiet place with nice people. You will meet people that you will want to stay in touch with and who can share their travel stories and stories from back home, wherever home is for them. The people complaining of the rules aren't meant to stay here. This is a place for people who can enjoy life just as it comes and don't need to party to the wee hours of the morning.

Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the second level so that the breeze can come into your room and it will be coo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Yuma's House Belize? Share your experiences!