“Good little restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 69 Restaurants in Caye Caulker
Claremore, Oklahoma
“Good little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Had breakfast here after passing the friendly hostess on the street numerous times. The fresh squeezed juice was great and had omelets, which were very good. However, they could use more cheese in our opinion. Wait staff was attentive and they also have Free WiFi for the customers. They also serve lunch and dinner. The selections looked good, but haven't it made it there for dinner, yet.

Visited May 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst restaurant EVER!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I regret nothing more than choosing to go to this restaurant. The staff had no idea what they were doing and took our orders wrong. I also noticed another couple get up and complain to the apparently non-English speaking hostess/waitress and chef several times. The menu was also an exact copy of another sub par tourist restaurant down the road by the beach.

Let me preface this with the fact that I just got out of the hospital from contracting campylobacter 3 days after eating here (not saying it's them necessarily, but very well could be from the looks of this place).

The chef did only cook one piece of meat at a time as others have mentioned. It took a long hour to get 2 orders, while my other friend had already polished off his tacos. I also noticed the chef using the same basting brush for ALL meats raw and almost done!! I really wish I had walked out at that moment! They only gave us 1 teaspoonful of the mashed potatoes, and a salad with ranch. Way to skimp on the sides.

The conch fillet was tough and chewy and had sand in it. I've had better in Belize.

On top of taking orders wrong, when we made our orders as clear as possible, they never ONCE came to check on us. We had to get up and find the hostess when we wanted anything, often she'd be sitting in the back room doing nothing.

Needless to say we did not leave a tip and I have actually never done that before. Now that I have food poisoning (again this was the sketchiest place we ate) I GREATLY regret eating there and would never ever recommend this place to anyone!!!

There are so many amazing restaurants in Caye Caulker, I'm so so mad at myself for wasting a night at this place! Also the prices were outrageous for the quality! We went to a gourmet restaurant that was amazing and had the same prices as this horrible place. The next night we rode by on our bikes and the place was totally empty, can't believe they're still in business!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Tested our patience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We went to La Bodeguita to order out. Asked for a medium pizza and 2 lobster shishkebabs . The waitress/hostess (?) took our order and said it will be about 20 min wait. The scene was as follows; a group of 11 with drinks, couple of guys with drinks, two couples with drinks, a single guy having dinner, and another couple placing order. Two waitresses were taking orders, serving drinks, and the owner was cruising between the kitchen and the grill. Each time with 1 plate in his hand and 1 lobster on that plate! The grill was not fired up either. After about 45 min we asked the waitress how much longer we need to wait for our food. She said about 20 min more. We were hungry and getting impatient but OK. Service in CC is generally slow so instead of going somewhere else and starting over we decided to wait another 20 min. All customers started to talk and realized that we were all waiting for food for 1 hr or longer. What in the world was going on in that kitchen??? Finally 2 people in the group of 11 got their meals. After a whopping 1,5 hour the remaining 9 in that group watched the other 2 finishing their meals, two couples left without eating, couple of guys kept drinking, , we got our pizza but no lobster, and last couple got their dinner. We cancelled the order for lobster as I did not want to wait any longer, and watch this absurdity. One of the waitresses mentioned something about new cook, but still… I understand that things can go wrong, I have seen it in a different restaurant, but staff informed the patrons what was going on and apologized for the inconvenience. At La Bodeguita nobody bothered to say anything. I think things would go much better if the owner made even one loud announcement to everyone about the delay, or possibly said that the next round of drinks is on the establishment. Whatever, he should have acknowledged that his customers were waiting longer than they should have (even for Belizean standards) and he did not deliver. The owner of a restaurant should know the basics of trouble shooting, and be aware of who his cleintele was (North Americans and Europeans).My rating is due to poor customer service. We were told later that what happened to us is not uncommon at La Bodeguita. It’s too bad and I hope the guy will get his ducks in the row, or he will continue losing clients. The place itself was cute, and the pizza was OK, prices average for CC.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Expensive for what you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

When the fry jack lady (on middle street) was closed, we went here instead - bypassing Amor y Cafe because it was busy. This place was a ghost town. We should have followed ours - and all those other people's instincts!

The food - not great. And the prices. AWFUL. We were so used to getting huge stuffed fry jacks and fresh juice for under $10 US (for TWO people), and at this place -- two semi-OK breakfasts and two coffees for almost $25 US.

It's a great location - near a bunch of farther out hotels and resorts - and has a great porch and inside area. But COME ON. Get your menu together, people!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Sadly, once was enough.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stopped at this restaurant the first night we were on the Caye because it was close to our accommodation. We quenched our thirst, and ate supper, but it was very disappointing. The grilled lobster skewers were barely cooked, and had a funny taste. No ill-effects, but not a place to recommend.

• Visited January 2013