“Visiting a cat house with good conscience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pause Accommodation

You added Pause Accommodation to your Saves list
Pause Accommodation
1 Pasero Street, Caye Caulker, Belize (Formerly PAUSE for Peace - P.A.W. Cat Sanctuary)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Qingdao, China
“Visiting a cat house with good conscience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

A Caye Caulker golf-cart taxi driver did not recognize the name Hotel Pause, but he was familiar with the place: ”Oh, you mean the cathouse.”

Cats dominate the image of Madi Collin's small hotel and they dominate her life but you don't have to pay attention to cats if you don't want to. All the 87 resident cats look sleek and beautiful and some like to make friend with you but Madi runs the whole operation so that place so that you can ignore the cat and her four dogs.

Originally we reserved a housekeeping room in Hotel Pause for three days. We liked it so well that we extended our stays three more days. We had been traveling a lot in last few months and having our own working kitchen suited us well. So did the peaceful location with its own dock away from commercial hubbub.

Everything was clean and in working order. After traveling in China, we found this very pleasant. The lack of hot water was no problem since weather was quite warm in November. Keeping our drinks cool in the refrigerator seemed like a real bonus.

Madi's place has personality and character. We'll remember this place long after ”regular” hotel and hostel rooms have disappeared from memory.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I didn't know what to expect when I walked over to P.A.W. Cat Sanctuary, but I can tell you my stay here has been wonderful. I'm steps away from the ocean and a dock where I have done most of my writing on this trip. As for the lodging, I stayed in the cabana, which I had to myself for three nights out of the 10 days I stayed there.There are three beds inside, and it comes with a microwave, coffee maker and wi-fi.

I didn't notice the cats until my second or third day of my stay, but I actually enjoyed them. The ones that are social come up to cuddle and let you pet them. Madie also has a dog named Twinkie who's a big sweetheart and loves attention.

The only downside to my stay was a stray cat that was trying to get a mouse. It would always jump on the roof in the middle of the night and wake everyone in the cabana. However, that's OK to me because I know I'm supporting a great cause.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had the amazing opportunity to stay with Madi during our stay on Caye Caulker. First of all- Madi is one of the kindest people you will ever meet. She will go out of her way to ensure that you are comfortable and help with any questions you have during your trip. Let's be clear- because some people didn't bother to do their research- this is a cat rescue center. You MUST love animals to stay here. Every cent you spend here goes towards Madi's efforts to rescue these beautiful animals from their extremely unfortunate circumstances. Belizean people are wonderful but generally do not care for cats and do horrific things in the name of "animal control". Madi is doing her part to rescue and educate people. No, this is not a hotel. That fact alone makes it a very cozy/home-like experience (you really feel like you're living in a beach-front cottage on the island!). The bathrooms and such are what you would expect of a beach cottage in Belize- not sure why anyone would expect differently. Further, once you see how hard Madi and her volunteers work to maintain the property, feed and care for the cats etc., you will NOT be complaining about the trash not being removed in a timely manner. You will want to take the trash out yourself and help in any other possible way that you can. That's what we did- and never did Madi make us feel like we were expected to do so. On the contrary, Madi was extremely appreciative of any help we provided and our decision to stay at her place. If you are looking for a great place to stay where your money will go towards an incredible cause, then you have found it. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Picton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

It always feels good when you have fun while helping those in need. Madi's Pause Accommodation provides all this and more. She arranged for a taxi to pick us up in Belize City and the driver even helped us get the right tickets for our boat trip to Caye Cauylker. Once there Madi arranged for a golf cart taxi to meet us and take us to her cattery where we were welcomed into her family with open arms.

The room was comfortable, but we spoiled Canadians missed having hot running water in the shower. We did use air conditioning but if it had not been so exceptionally hot (over 120F with the humidex) fans would have been enough.

Then there were the animals. Madi has four pet dogs and cares for around 80 abandoned cats. Some are quite shy, but several are real pets. We fell in love with Raisin, Joy and Hiccup!

If you want to help a good cause while having a great Caribbean vacation, give Pause a try. You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: There are three rooms to choose from. The basic is a cabana. The best room has an A/C unit and kitch...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Situated right near the water in a quiet part of Caye Caulker, PAWS is unlike any normal hotel or hostel - it's an experience not just a place to stay. The owner Madi, welcomed me as if she already knew me and was extremely accommodating. The place is well located - about a minute walk to the fresh fruit stall and about 2 minutes to everything else on the island.

At PAWS there are of course many cats and I helped out with the feeding twice a day. They are mostly very friendly and probably overjoyed to have a place in Madi's luxury cattery where they are fed, watered and let out daily.

I recommend this place to all and it's especially reassuring to know your money is going directly to fund cat food for cats that would otherwise be homeless, diseased or killed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ramat Gan, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I actually thought alot about whether I should write this review or not, because far be it from me to hurt someone's income. But people need to know facts before choosing this one, and I need to share my (our) experience in Pause.
When we booked pause for three nights we were actually quite stressed, because we couldn't find an available accommodation online in Caye Caulker. Seeing that Pause receive some good reviews, and checking briefly the details, we decided to book online. The price wasn't cheap, but seeing as it's Belize, we were led to believe nowhere is.
Arriving on the island we found out right away that we made a mistake rushing into booking the room, as we were greeted with several options on the spot for half the price, and as it turned out - alot more amenities.

The place is not far from the main dock, though most of the places on the island aren't. It's about 7 minute walk from the ferry.
Upon arrival to the house, (and realizing it's 'Pause' - because there is no discernible sign saying it is) we met with Alex, the owner's cousin. Alex told us his cousin had to go away for a week, and he was charged with taking care of us.
We were shown the room and the area around the house - the dock, the cat sanctuary on the second floor (we were told they had about 80 cats there), and we also met a dude who was volunteering there.
The room itself was one space, divided to a kitchen area, a "living room", and a bed.
The kitchen area had a refrigerator, a sink and a stock of kitchen utensils (though we never used them). Other than that there was sofa and a dining room table with chairs, and the bed had a sort of a mosquito net, though it was only a flat net and did not cover the whole bed.
There were also two fans (one on a stand and the other a ceiling fan) and a portable air condition unit, though Alex (the cousin) didn't know how to operate it, and I didn't want to mess with it.

As a first impression we didn't put much stock in what was in the room, as long as we had a place to put our things and somewhere to sleep.
But our stay as I mentioned was three days, and we quickly became aware of the many problems with the room.
First and foremost - The bathroom area is only separated from the main room by a piece of cloth that hangs on a makeshift hanger, and no window. I don't want to elaborate on this, but I hope I got my point across.
The bed was not comfortable, the heat during the day and night was awful - mainly because of the fact that the whole room had only one window and one door with a screen door. No air would flow from the outside, and the fans being on full capacity did not help.
The shower had only ice cold water, the trash wasn't cleaned during our whole stay, the privacy was practically nonexistant since we had to leave the door open for some air to get in, and also the semblence of security for our things was only on the surface as the lock to the room would only turn a quarter turn.
Not finished yet.
I've mentioned meeting a British volunteer over there. The dude seemed rather miserable, as apparently the yard had lots and lots of what the owner called 'sand flies', but to me seemed like fleas (cat sanctuary and all). We were bitten by those 'Sand Flies' on more than one occasion, but the dude had it the roughest as his feet looked like he put them inside beehives.

This definitely was the lowest rated place we stayed at during our trip through Central America, and I might have been less harsh with my review had the price for our stay not been DOUBLE what we could have paid for a room on the beach with breakfast, WiFi and hot water.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

What a find pay a bit less and help out around the place the owner needs all the help and ideas she can get. You can sit here and your a few metres from the ocean in a quieter part of island. It's just a few minuets walk from every thing you need and want. Free wifi some rooms have cooking facilities so realty helps if your on a budget with fridge too. Also there's the out house can sleep up to three lay there listening to the sea lap and watch the heroins and pelicans perch next to you and of course stroke the odd cat or two who run up and down the palm trees. This truly is a special place on a paradise island no cars bike hier or golf cart taxis everyone is very friendly and says hi to you. This is also the safest place I have ever been too. Women on her own absolutely no hassle from anyone. 40 minuet boat ride from Belize city. Don't think there is another place like it and I have been to the Maldives three times and this is much better with so much to do. Snorkel with nursing sharks they do not hurt you or with manatees and rays. Go to the split and have a gentle swim snorkel listening to reggae. Day trips to absolute paradise islands. Use Sunarmi dive place they don't touch anything in the sea or guy called chocolate he started the sanctuary not touch manatees. Find them on sea front. Ask me anything to see if I know.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Pause Accommodation? Share your experiences!