“Very Nice Snorkeling Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Grand Marais, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
“Very Nice Snorkeling Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I were very impressed with this company. We arrived on Caye Caulker at about 8:30 in the morning and spent about an hour walking around asking about snorkeling packages. I have what I feel is an extensive scuba and free diving experience, and want to make sure that we will be happy with our experience. We have heard a ton about Hol Chan, the "Cut", and Shark Ray Alley. We were very excited to check these sites out. We found what we felt was a good deal at another dive shop and were planning on going back there to book the trip. We stopped at French Angel's shop and asked about their snorkeling trips that day. After the trip was explained I asked why their trip was more expensive than the other shop. We were informed that the trip the other shop was taking did not go into the marine preserve, did not have to pay park entrance fees and therefore was less expensive. I responded that the other shop said that they were going to Shark Ray Alley, and the individual( I later found out it was the owner), commented that some people have different Shark Ray Alleys, but the famous one is in the marine preserve. We thanked him for his help, and went back to previous shop. Upon arriving at the other dive shop we asked about the dive sites in greater detail and discovered that the trip did not go to the "real" Shark Ray Alley, rather they took people to "a less traveled and personal favorite site" that "did the same thing". Being impressed with the honesty and directness of French Angel's sales pitch we decided to go back and sign up. We were very happy we did, Ash(owner and guide) was very good. Lunch was not spectacular, but adequate, the fresh fruit was very nice. We had sharks, rays, turtles, and fish galore. We ended up doing another snorkel trip with another operator on Ambergris Caye and felt that it was not as good as the trip with French Angel. Highly recommended.

Visited November 2012

Billings, Montana, United States
“First Class All The Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Ash, John, Zach, and Omir were all first class guides! We used them 3 days in a row - first for half day snorkeling, second for full day fishing, and the third was a full day of snorkeling. Ash helped our 6 y/o daughter the first day out on the reef, got her comfortable and her confidence up, and after half an hour had her cruising around on her own. Ash will never know how appreciative I am for that - watching her have fun and getting excited when she saw a "Nemo" fish is something I will never forget.
Next day Ash and Omir took my 11 y/o son and I fishing. Not only did they teach me how to dive and catch lobster, help my son hook into 2 baraccuda, they cleaned our catch and grilled it for us. It might just have been the best meal we had in Belize!
Last day was a full snorkeling day. John and Zach took us out this time - John was by my daughters side the entire time and Zach knew everything about the reef and its wildlife.
If we ever make it back to Caye Caulker, French Angel will be our first stop!

Visited October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Money well spent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

French Angel was recommended by our hotel, so we decided to check them out. It was the best $25 each spent on the vacation. We opted for the half day 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM tour with 3 stops. They provide both fins and masks for those of us that don't have our own (a couple in our group brought their own). We snorkeled in the reef for the first stop, then to swim with the stingrays and sharks (kinda scary at first, but they're harmless), and concluded with a visit to the other side of the reef. Our tour guide, Ash, made fruit salad for us, and we returned on time back to the dock. One word of caution: be sure to re-apply sunscreen as they take you to different locations in the boat, as you're floating with your back to the Caribbean sun for 2-3 hours. The half day tour was more than enough to see the reef, fish, stingrays, 3 dolphins, and the sharks.

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Fabulous & Safe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have visited Caye Caulker twice now, and both times I have used the services of French Angel for snorkeling, specifically requesting Marph on our secound visit. He was a wealth of information, and very informative. He was eager to show us a good time, but adament about our safety. Unlike the other reviewer who claims that Marph was disrespectful to the Marine Life, on our trip (both times) he was very respectful of the reef, and although he had a good relationship with the sharks, and sting rays around shark ray alley, how is this any different then teh people that touch dolphins? He never touched any fish or anything outside of that one spot. Aparently the sharks, and the sting rays are happy to be fed, and don't seem to mind the attention they get or they would not come back to the area. I have the distinct feeling, Marph would have at least an injury or two if they did not appreciate him touching them. I never saw a "handprint" on any of the sting rays.

Visited April 2012
Sarteneja, Belize
“Disrespect to nature”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Although the sites are beautiful in Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark and Ray Alley and the Coral Gardens, I CANNOT possibly recommend French Angel after the behaviour of our guide (Murph). When going to Shark and Ray Alley he basically told everyone that they could touch the sting rays and nurse sharks, and proceeded to pick an adult shark off the bottom of the seabed (where they put baited traps, which I also don't think is right), turn it up-side-down and stroke it. He encouraged others to come stroke it too, and said nothing when another person on the tour was grabbing a baby nurse shark by the tail to try to pick it up to. The sting rays had clear hand marks on them. I thought it was disgusting, especially as this is supposed to be a protected area and the guides are supposed to be educated in marine conservation. When I questioned him about his behaviour he simply said that every guide does that and the animals don't mind. This is a horrible example to set for anyone going in the water to observe marine life, and basically tells people it's ok to touch and grab whatever they want. It's this kind of irresponsibility that has led to the destruction of our reefs to begin with. When I asked who I could report this to the answer I got was 'Good Luck', that nobody would care. If anyone has any idea where I can submit the photo evidence and complain, I welcome your suggestions. If you chose to go on this tour PLEASE do not touch any of the marine life, even if they say it is ok. It is NOT ok.

Visited July 2012