“Un-Belizable time!!!” 5 of 5 stars

San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Fargo, North Dakota
“Un-Belizable time!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

If you want to go to Paradise, go to Ramon's on Amergris Caye, Belize, Central America. The dives were spectacular and you could not ask for a better staff then at Ramon's Village. Yes they are one of the oldest sites on the island, but you can not beat the personal attention and fabulous relaxing accomodations at Ramon's. The dive personnel are one of the finest ever! We loved it and would recommend it to all divers and those who snorkel. You won't be disappointed!

Pennsylvania, USA
“Unique Place to Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

My husband, sister and I stayed in a private condo at Bermuda Beach (2 buildings down from Tres Cocos) for one week. The condo was beautiful with a regular pool and a very unique mandmade ocean pool. The location was perfect! We walked to town every night/day because we only rented a golf cart for 3 out of the 7 days we were there. We used the cart to explore the North part of the island one day and the South the next.

We enjoyed the local food and only ate one dinner at a restaurant (Caliente). The rest of the time we ate all our meals at the local stands and huts. Very delicious and cheap eats. We loved Claudia's carnaches (her stand is in front of the main supermarket at the town square). We loved Maria's papusas and tomales. We loved the tacos at the stand in front of the hardware store. We loved Mellow's beef patties (he rides around on his bicylce and sells them from his basket). If you live like a local you'll enjoy it and spend very little money. Oh, and you definitely have to eat breakfast at Beach In Kitchen (1/2 mile North of the cut/bridge). Excellent! Also a must is Palapa bar. Just before Beach In Kitchen.

There are no beaches to speak of. You are surrounded by gorgeous turquois waters and the only way to reach it is by boat. You will need to spend money on excursions if you are to enjoy the sea. Some of your more expensive resorts on the North end have long piers with docks that reach the clear water and you can get in and swim there. We went to Rojo's for the day. You can use their amenities for free (pool, pier, dock) and they have a restaurant with excellent food. We took advantage of their dock for swimming in the sea there.

We did the Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley snorkel trip. My husband is a diver so he dove while my sister and I snorkeled. Definitely worth it. My husband dove quite a bit but the week we went was windy which made visibility poor. I'm sure he would have enjoyed it more had the ocean been calmer. Of course the day we left it was as calm as a lake.

We used the Belize Express water taxi to get from Belize City to Ambergris Caye. It was a fast and beautiful ride. We're glad we went by boat and not by little plane. Much cheaper and it only took an hour.

San Pedro town is very unique and we loved it. My husband walked barefoot all week in shorts and a t-shirt. The people are the friendliest we've ever met. They are always willing to help you out and just wonderful to deal with.

You must go to the crocodiles. South of San Pedro by the water tower is a spot where the local boys feed and ride the crocodiles. A.J. was the one feeding them the day we went. I got some awesome pictures. The one he normally rides (17 feet) was not there that day so we didn't get to see that, but it was still fun watching him feed them chicken and bring them on land.

Overall, we loved our trip. My advice for anyone going is to stay on the mainland for 2-3 days and do the mainland trips (zipline, zoo, cave tubing, etc) and then go to the Caye for 3-4 days and be prepared to spend money on boat excursions. If you're expecting beautiful beaches and just getting in the water from the beach, you will be disappointed, but you can still have a great time without it.

Georgia
“Favourite Caye in Belize”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Stayed at Oasis del Caribe Condo Mar.8-15/09, , just before the bridge, north of San Pedro, walking distance to town. Golf cart rental allowed us freedom for the week, went from the south end to Belize Legacy Resort at the north end and visited with Rod there(Manager). The road is passable/dirt/bumpy but what a view.
Cave Tubing and ATV the weekend before in Belize City Mar.6-8 was awsome. It was drizzly, but made for more mud, and when in the Rain Forest one expects rain and when in the awsome cave, who cares about rain. We booked from home @cave-tubing.com with Yhonny, but Evan was our guide-Experienced. Eat at Cheers on the way home, cheap tasty meal.We stayed at the Radisson Fort George. Ask for Guilbert for any Tourism question at the Bar/Grill. Back to Ambergris Caye, took the Ferry over to Caye Caulker for the day. Found Cheaper lodging, and the ones we asked to peak into the rooms, were great.(Future stay) Golf carts, the only means of transportation there and bikes and feet. Friendly residents, carts 10 dollars an hour.
Best Diving/Snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef.

Iowa
“Pretty Much OK - Paradise Wise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Ambergris Caye - Alot of what Madonna sings about San Pedro in La Isle Bonita actually applies to this place.

We stayed at Caribbean Villas on the beach about a mile south of town. Warnings: Walk the beach into town!!!! While downtown SP has a whopping total of 3 streets (Front, Middle & Back), the only hard-surfaced road heading north from our resort was a Caribbean version of the Indy 500. Total golfcart gridlock; sometimes had a sidewalk. Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way. Watch out for the sneaky [--] electric golf carts. At least the gas powered carts, cars, etc can't creep up silently from behind and run you over. Also, unlike a lot of places in Central America, Mexico, Caribbean countries where the first one to honk has the right of way, no one in San Pedro ever honked.
A couple of construction & unlite zones makes it advisable to take a flashlite on your first nite's beach foray into SP till you learn the route, but we always felt safe. Did get a few offers for local weed while walking the beach, one guy even had his young child with him while vending his wares?
Food: While the menus at Blue Water and Sunset Grill made my mouth water, we vacationed this trip with a cousin whom the locals in Zihuatanejo last year nick-named Senor Barato (Mr Thrifty en Espanol). Plenty good, economical food can be found at the likes of Mickeys on Middle Street's fresh fried Snapper sandwich for lunch. There's Warumugas on Middle street. Watch for lady frying papusas in street. Restaurant behind her is same dimensions as a mobile home. English menus on right wall, Spanish on left. A papusa is sorta like a calzone made with corn tortilla dough containing beans, cheese & pork(in that order). But for $2.50 BZ ($1.25 US) eating several and washing them down with a cold Beliken made this place the high-lite of Senor Barato's trip. Jambel Jerk Pit's jerkpork wasn't quite as tender as what I've had in Jamaica, but had a good flavor. Try their award winning orange/key lime pie. Spindrift Hotel beachside - Caliente's good mex food and can get a very good tart margarita - just booze & fresh lime juice (no sweet&sour mix with a 5-year shelf life used). Also has a good balcony to watch the Chicken Drop at Pier Lounge nextdoor (Wednesday's only, 6 to 9 PM). Georges Kitchen south of town opens at 6 AM and had good breakfast. Beach vendor's fried plantain was good.
Tacklebox's menu drew us in with $30 BZ lobster(half the price of high-end places) but was told they were sold out. Unfortunately I then ordered their lobster & shrimp in fresh tortillas. I got over-grilled pita bread with a few chewy chunks covered in a gooey cheese. Go for the burger instead - cheaper & better(Sr Barato liked it). Sunday BBQ at Caribbean Villas Catamaran beach bar was decent. Was also a great place to watch Superbowl 09 barefoot in shorts rather than in bluejeans & sweatshirts like back home. The Rum & Cigar House on Middle Street gave us free samples of 3 rum liquors. Buy a fresh Cuban cigar for a relaxing on your veranda or beach bar.

We booked a half-day Reef fishing trip with Tino Gonzales. He used a net to catch live-bait off a pier south of CV. We caught several Spanish mackerel, yellow-tail snappers and Bluerunner & Horse-eye jacks. We had Tino filet just half the fish for us and had enough for 3 lunches and 1 dinner of fresh fried fish back at the condo.
Also did Hol Chan & Shark Alley snorkel with Lil Aphonso (booked at CV). He loaded about 10 -12 snorkelers on his boat, but shows everyone how to use equipment, checks before you jump in water and does an excellent job of finding and showing everyone the coral & sea creatures. His 2nd-mate swims along pulling several life-preserver rings tied to a rope for anyone that poops out and needs an sea sag-wagon. You can pet &/or hold nurse sharks and sting rays in Shark Alley. Both guides picked us up at CV's pier.
Rumor - heard from Canadians next door if you order a case of Beliken from SP brew distributor they will deliver and costs $1.25 a bottle (Not sure if that was in Canadian, US or BZ). However, Beliken brewery uses the thickest glass in their bottles I've ever seen. Sorta disappointing when you think you still have some brewski left only to find 1/2 of the bottle weight is the glass, but this is one time I can say I drank my weight in beer while on vacation. All in all - AC, SP & CV were pretty much OK paradise-wise.

North Carolina
“The Most Patient Tour Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

I am not a good swimmer, so how could I get to see the Barrier Reef at Hol Chan? My concierge at Casa Maya Reef Resort recommended a glass bottom boat and on the morning of New Year's eve was able to procure the Reef Seeker for a cruise.

Mercedes Valdes (Mitch) turned out to be the kindest and most supportive tour guide I have ever experienced.. He could not understand why I would be content to look through the glass and helped me to lean how to use the snorkle mask. Mitch stayed with me, guiding me along the waters and pointing out the many wonders of the reef. It is an experience that I never thought that I would have in my life, since I am well over sixty years of age. He was proud of the beautiful resources of his country and went way out of his way to help me to see them too.

I highly recommend Reef Seeker and Mercedes (Mutch) Valdez. Phone 501-610-3061.

Been to San Pedro? Share your experiences!