“better than average” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SunBreeze Suites

Save Saved
You added SunBreeze Suites to your Saves list
SunBreeze Suites
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Barrier Reef Drive | P.O. Box 14, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #25 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Omaha, Nebraska
“better than average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We just finished a nine night stay at Sun Breeze Suites. We had a short wait at the airport before being picked up. Check-in was easy our friends traveling with us had to wait for their room to be ready but this was no problem and it took less than 20 minutes. Our room number was 203 our friends were in 204. 204 is slightly bigger than 203 and does not have as much street noise but some noise from the neighbors. I had to say I was disappointed, at first, that we had 203 due to previous reviews. The room turned out to be very comfortable it had a small ocean view and over looked a courtyard with a pool. The front door does face the street and there is a lot of road/street noise. The bed was king and we felt it was comfortable enough. They may have changed the bed or it could be different strokes for different folks, it is pretty firm. The location is great it is within walking distance to just about everything you need. Dive shops just outside the hotel, bar next door, restaurant on-site. The restaurant is Jamaican Jerk and is very good being warned it is jerk which equal spicy. Rooms are not fancy and I felt they were a little over priced for what we got. The pool is small and so is the beach. The beach has a few lounge chairs and the pool doesn’t get much sun (never saw anyone in the pool). If we go back I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a golf cart to go explore one or two days, warning if it is rainy roads north are bad. Take a da...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel was one of the cheaper hotels we could find (and that was our goal because we went to Belize to go scuba diving and not to stay in a fancy resort or hotel). We elected to stay in the city so we could walk to shops and restaurants and avoid having to take water taxis to and from town.

Location – good location near town and walking distance to shops and restaurants. Just a quick golf cart ride from the airport. At night the area seems a little “skechy” if you can imagine a carribean version of a city.

Safety - As we were checking in, a couple was at the front desk who had a bag stolen from their room, and they were desperately attempting to replace medications. As they walked out, the couple (who was not very happy to say the least) said to us “watch out we had items stolen from our locked room). After that, we were paranoid about our dive gear in the room and items like our underwater camera. We were careful about not leaving expensive items in plain sight and always kept our room locked. We also took advantage of the locking bag we could keep in the hotel safe (extra cash, passports…). We did not have anything taken during our stay. We’ve stayed at other places in the Caribbean that have safes in the room. This would have been a preferred option.

Room - Our room was large with a balcony, separate living area with kitchen with dinette space, and a decent size bedroom with a good size closet. Our room# was 203, so it was at the back of the hotel second floor (not on the water but the door faced the street - not the best from a security standpoint) and our balcony overlooked the courtyard and had a narrow view to the ocean.

Pool – small and does not get much sun during the day. No big deal for us since we were diving all day.

Staff - The staff was accommodating and helpful. I requested a new blanket and this was taken care of quickly. The room was clean but by no means luxurious. (Again –this was one of the cheaper places we could find, so we weren’t expecting luxury). Typically, as long as places are clean we don’t expect much more if we are looking for an inexpensive place to stay.
Bed - We chose this property because they had king size beds available. (My husband is 6’4” so it’s just something we try to get whenever we travel). I’m sorry to say the worst part of this hotel was the bed. My husband and I both agree that it is by far the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept on (please note - we have traveled quite a bit and aren’t particularly picky). I have never before dreaded going to sleep because a bed was so hard and uncomfortable. I believe it is typical to travel and have to adjust to beds that are not quite as comfortable as your own but this one was ridiculous. I would wake in the middle of the night and be convinced I had been sleeping on plywood, and would push my fist into the mattress to confirm it was actually a mattress and had some give to it. It was not actually a king mattress, but two twins pushed together so there was the issue with the seam between the two in the middle of the bed. If you were unlucky enough to roll onto this spot at night you would wake up feeling like you had a 2x4 shoved into your back. (Yes, it was that bad, I’m not one to exaggerate.) We definitely did not sleep-in in the mornings, because as soon as we woke up you desperately wanted to get out of that bed. I polled people on the dive boat and some complained their beds weren’t that comfortable, but clearly the people who stayed at more expensive places had more comfortable beds, and no one said their bed was absolutely horrible. I have seen comments in other reviews that “all the beds in Belize are rock hard and uncomfortable”, but it sounds like paying for a nicer place will avoid that problem. (Or perhaps avoiding room #203 at Sunbreeze Suites).

I’m not one of those reviewers who focuses on one bad thing and vows to never to return to a hotel never ever again, but honestly – I couldn’t stay in this hotel again because of the bed and cannot recommend it to anyone based on that particular problem. I think at the very least, any hotel should be clean and have reasonably comfortable beds , and this hotel does not meet that minimal requirement. Sorry – but a decent night’s sleep is a priority on a vacation and we didn’t get a single one on this trip. Also, I was concerned about safety of the area and we were concerned about items being stolen from our room. If you walk along the beach in the evenings you will notice the nicer places have additional security posted.

If we go back to Belize I’m not sure I would stay in town again. Staying in a more expensive and nicer all-inclusive type place away from the city and just staying put at that location would probably be my next choice. If you want to be in the city, I would consider splurging on a place like the Phoenix. We considered this place at first but went with the budget friendly option.
We dove with Hughe Parkey and they picked us up on the end of our dock and brought us back after our dives.

Good restaurants recommended by a local that we really enjoyed were - Celine’s, Blue Water, and Wild Mango.

A final note – I got food poisoning on this trip and cannot pinpoint exactly what did it. I drank bottled water and even used bottled water to brush my teeth. As my brother reminded me when I got back - you have to be careful of ice in drinks and things like salads rinsed in water. One possible culprit could be the mojito I had at the hotel bar the night I got sick. Just be careful – being sick on vacation is no fun.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #203. Door faces street. View of courtyard and only a narrow view of ocean. Extremely...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Hello All,
If you are looking for a good place to stay, with a kitchen and a view on the carabean see at a reasonable price, choose Sunbreeze Suites. They are right in the center, the staff is friendly and helfull. Their restaurant offer excellent food. And...If you choose the water taxi to get to San Pedro from Belize City, choose the Caye Caulker water taxi, which leave from the Marine terminal in Belize City and brings you right in front of the hotel!
We had a beautifull time there.

Room Tip: Suite 202 or 201 are perfect. You have the sun all day on the balcony and a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Sunbreeze Suites Nov. 19th to 26th. Upon entering my room I was greeted by the most amazing scent!! It set the whole tone for my stay. What a great idea. The rooms were clean and well maintained. I had a gorgeous view of the sea. We were directly on the beach and being on the first floor was awesome. Everyday the stingrays came to the beach and were so gentle they could be petted. Which I did most everyday. :) The staff was very gracious. The rooms well cleaned each day. No complaints whatso ever. The pool was very pretty and perfect enough for cooling off. Some great snorkelling just down the beach off the Wet Willys pier. A gorgeous spotted eagle ray swam by many times..or maybe it was more then one!
Another big bonus is the hotel is close to everything and although we enjoyed driving around in a golf cart for the week...really everything you need is close by. There is a small restaurant and bar attached to the hotel and once a week they have a jerk buffet...my favorites were the fisherman soup and the shrimp..not jerk but a little bit saucy and oh sooooo good. Don't forget to have a cocunut choc chip cookie afterwards either...mmmmmmm Thanks for a great stay!!

Room Tip: I loved the ocean front and the main floor but looked like all the rooms had a lovely view. the arc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My friend and I spend 5 days in San Pedro and took up residence at the Sunbreeze Suites. The hotel was easy to find and a 10 minute walk or 2 minute golf cart ride from the airport. The staff was very couteous and friendly offering assistance whenever needed. The rooms were spacious, clean and the maid service was on point. The balcony was used quite frequently for afternoon relaxation and had a great view of the ocean.

What could be improved was the Jamaican restaurant/ bar located on premises. The staff was very friendly and accommodating but they didn't have much variety and the food was a little bland. Also the pool is quite small and hidden in the recess of the property so it wasn't exposed to any sunlight. Lastly, the beds were flat and probably old but we got a good night sleep as the island activities will tire you out quite a bit.

Would probably try a different hotel next time but the price was right and we had a great stay overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room for a better view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The place was not bad , the staff was sweet and very courteous, the view was great the room, the restaurant and bar decent. However, the beds are comparable to sleeping on a park bench.
if you are planning on relaxing by the pool and getting a tan, its not going to happen here, the way the hotel is built, it casts a shadow over the pool and only one spot that is the size of one beach chair ever gets any sun. Also and this is the same for most of the hotels in San Pedro , the beach is only about 20 feet, so people and lots of stray dogs, are constantly walking back and forth so no place to lay and get sun there either. Food was alright but for one day, they took over an hour to bring our food and when they did, I ended up throwing up all night, I have not ate anywhere else so I am assuming it was the shrimp, but I will give the benefit of the doubt and say it may have been me. Also, the selection is not the best on the menu, but that is pretty much everyplace on the Island.

Room Tip: If you are looking for Cancun, go there , this is no replacement , however if you don't mind the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our stay at the Sunbreeze was wonderful! The staff was great, Vanessa and Amelia always took care of our every need.The rooms was cozy and comfortable and Henry and Wilson always kept the grounds neat. Linda and the resturant always had yummy food for us, and we ate a lot of it! We felt pampered and that is exactly what you should feel on vacation. Can't wait to see everyone again.
Karen L

Room Tip: We visited the local markets and made our breakfast and sometimes lunch.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to SunBreeze Suites? Share your experiences!