“DANGEROUS STAY AWAY” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Reef Village Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #54 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
“DANGEROUS STAY AWAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife has slipped and fallen twice during our week stay because of really bad maintenance. Several huge deep potholes taking up 90 % of the the roadway we have to use to get to our condo. She has a huge scrape on the side of her leg. Talked to the management staff. I was addressed aggressively and told to go ... myself. When I talked to the restaurant manager about it he said he regularly feels physically threatened when he tries to talk to the condo management staff. We are seasoned travelers. We walk 5 miles a day, are strong and are not the complaining type. This is my first review ever. Hope I never have to write one like this again. The list is much longer here but I'll stop there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Portage, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

David and Omar are amazing. The villa was great. Can not wait to come back! See you in 2015...everything they said they would do, they did. You can count on them. I do hope the pool gets fixed. Reef village has its ups and down, I do believe they are doing the best they can to get it back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Khobar, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Not to be harsh, but the title of this review is well-deserved. At one time this property was amazing, to our disappointment, when we came back expecting the same- it truly was the opposite! Very run-down, pool pump not working, resulting in pool closure, apparently some electrical issues, electric lines dug up everywhere, condo buildings desperately need painting, even tho rain has been excessive, there was no obvious attempts to fill huge potholes. In a nutshell, this place is a mess!! We checked out after the first night- moved on to a properly managed resort/ Captain Morgans

Room Tip: keep movin on down the road a bit further north- several well managed resorts
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This review is long overdue. I stayed here with my sister and two girlfriends not long ago, and we had a wonderful time. The manager David was exceptional, he placed us in the best villa on the property. The staff is extremely accommodating, especially Omar at the bar. The drinks and the light food at the bar were tasty (especially, the lobster ceviche). The pool is refreshing, the grounds are never crowded, so if you are looking for a place to unwind, this is the place to be. The location is nice because you are right over the bridge to town (I think the bridge to town is about $5 USD roundtrip by golf cart or taxi) and Reef Village is located on the north part of the island, near other resorts and great restaurants (this part of the island is more low-key and romantic than town). It was nice to have so many options.

Travel Tip: Beware of fraudulent activity at the golf cart rental place a.k.a "mark's mini mart" just down the road from the bridge. Faulty golf carts that breakdown, which equals a shakedown, and also my bank advised us not to rent from them, along with locals putting us on to their scam.

I can't wait to go back next year!!! A great time had by all.

Warm regards,
Erika, Kristin, Andrea and Lovis

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We booked a week at Reef Village with Interval. We already were spending 10 nights at Captain Morgan' resort. We took a golf cart ride
down to see where we were staying at the reef. WHAT A SHOCK. This
place is a garbage hole of rundown units and facilities. The multi level
condos or apartments were dirty and completely neglected. The individual lagoon units were the same. The driveways were giant water
holes, landscape on existing, office and so called restaurant full of rain
water all over and all closed. A small open sided bar with a poor local
employee was the only sing of life. When asked, where were the people,
he replied there are none. We bought two belkin beers from him and left
him a $5. There were many paper notices taped on the lagoon unit front
doors that read, "Due to the power problems in the complex, do not use
the AC units until further notice". Do I need to say more. We cancelled
with interval and they were very concerned, refunded by booking fee, gave me another 6 months to use my certificate and tried to find us another location on the island. Nothing available so we went back to
Captain Morgan's and they made room for us for another week.
This property should be removed from interval.
If this is not enough, the location is like a slum area.

Room Tip: Try Motel 6
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The apartment was fine, everything worked as it should, very clean, the bed was too firm so I did not get good sleeps. The weather was not good it was rainy season and I normally dodge the rain , not this time however at least 3 days of my week, Sept 7- 14th. The room had the cool air on and the fans which made it really cold for me so I ended up turning it off and hence got a sore throat from the mold spores a heating engineer gave me a tip go and buy a bag of charcoal and put it in the cupboard with the unit it helps, there is always a next time.
The resort was dead no-one really around only ex-pats on their lap tops, very quiet so if you want that great, sadly no evening entertainment and the bar closed early.
I had a good time but the weather lacked, it is a friendly safe place to be, I am a single woman, I was on my own and walked into town and around with no concerns.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you want a wonderful relaxing vacation time....reserve your villa at Reef Village San Pedro, Belize. The dives are spectacular, the villas luxurious, and the staff...fabulous. Particularly Carla and the office staff. They will make sure your stay is wonderful. The pool is sparkling clean and the maid staff see to everything you need from a blender to cooking tools if you choose to use their well stocked kitchen (even has a wine refrigerator)! I highly recommend this place for low key quiet vacation time. You will not find a better staff from Omar (wonderful adult beverage bar) to the immaculate 3 bedroom 3 bathroom villa on the waterfront.

Room Tip: Request a villa from Carla! They are very accomodating.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Reef Village Resort? Share your experiences!