“R&R at it's best!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of X'tan Ha Resort

Save Saved
You added X'tan Ha Resort to your Saves list
X'tan Ha Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 1 | 7.2 Miles North, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize (Formerly Belize Legacy Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #15 of 56 hotels in San Pedro
Port Saint John, Florida, United States
“R&R at it's best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

If your looking for a little "off the beaten path" this is the place! The resort is exactly as it appears on the website. Beautiful grounds, VERY well maintained, they clean the beach every morning, fresh picked flowers in your room (from the grounds) and San Pedro is only a short taxi boat ride away (cost was comparable to a cab in most cities) we enjoyed the fact that we were somewhat secluded. The food was great, service was impeccable, and they went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Their on site tour operator, No Worries Tours was great, if your a diver ask for Chabo, I've been diving for over 30 years and he was one of the best dive master's I've ever dove with, forget the rest, book your dives with him. Shout out to Junior at the bar, awesome guy, and Eddie, our favorite server at the restaurant, he was very friendly, attentive and always smiling. The whole staff here are awesome. The housekeeping team decorated the bed in my sister's room for her birthday and was nothing short of art, all spelled out with local flower pedals, amazing! We would not hesitate to stay with them again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms have the best view and ocean breeze's, book the beachfront room.

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Genova
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

X Tan Ha is a very nice place and I appreciated to stay there.
In terms of quality I have to say that quality of sleep was not good: too soft mattresses and air conditioning was very noisy. No wireless connection was working in the room and to get connection you have only to stay arounf the pool zone.
In any case another weak point is that , due to the fact that the only way to reach San Pedro is via Costal Express that costs (special price) 16 US$ back and forth and not always respects the schedule, the opportunity to enjoy San Pedro is reduced. So you have to enjoy only the existing restaurant that has a very limited and standard menu and is for sure not cheap.
Generally speaking, the costs for any additional activity are from my point of view unreasonably high: check for example a simple dive at Blue Hole.

So, good stay but expensive and not always comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Bend,OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I were celebrating our 13th anniversary, a nice little getaway w/o our children. We loved this place. Cannot wait to return and bring our kids. They will love it too!

No, no perfect. As you have seen in other reviews there are issues w/the water and distance to town. The food is very expensive, but with out a doubt one of the most enjoyable vacations I have had. Being a bit away from San Pedro I think is more relaxing and the value of this place (both monetary and the unbeatable service) more then makes up for the distance from town.

Amazing beach w/lots of toys and lounge chairs. Always kept in top condition by the tireless staff. The room was very comfortable, awesome bed, new towels and ice cold a/c. Toiletries could be better and sometimes not restocked. The kitchenette was great.

When I come again, will pack an entire suitcase of pasta, p.b., rice, snacks and other non- perishables. Groceries are just very expensive, $7 for a bag of chips! Get duty free booze in Belize City airport. Actually got us through customs faster:)

Be sure you contact the hotel if you don't book direct and the will help w/your transportation there. We did and it was seamless. The flight ( highly recommend over ferry) and private boat was quite enjoyable!

The bar was fun, loved bar tender Obie. Could be improved w/more snack option. Take advantage of happy hour. You can order from the restaurant delivered there as well. Preferred the ocean view/breeze and jovial environment to the restaurant.

Sweet Philip took us out to the Mexican Rocks on the Hobbie Cat. He didn't just drive the boat but actually hoped in the water with us and gave a tour! Some of the best snorkeling I have done! Sharks, rays, tons of fish and coral. All for the price if snorkel rental. What a deal!!! Some said it was better then the paid excursions.

Would skip No Worries though aside from snorkel rental. They are a lot more expensive then others and sometimes for lesser services (Ferry vs. flight, etc.). We used Jungle Trek for our Xunantunich/Cave Tubing. Highly recommend the trip and co. Loved it!

Also would not recommend Mambos. Overpriced and overrated.

Book this place already, you won't be disappointed!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
San Pedro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

There is so much to say, so I’ll get right to it. Upon our arrival to Belize, we transferred flights from our international airline to our Tropic Air "puddle hopper," which took us from Belize City to San Pedro. Although you can reach San Pedro by boat as well, we highly recommend that you make use of Tropic Air. It is much more convenient and cuts the travel time considerably. Either way, the staff at X'tan Ha will help you to arrange your transportation to and from the resort.

Once we arrived to San Pedro, we were met by a representative from Sandy Points (the parent company to X'tan Ha) who helped us with our bags and escorted us to the water taxi. Raphael, the captain, was super nice and a wonderful introduction to the people of Belize. He was right when he said that X'tan Ha has the best beach in the Caye. When we docked, Christian immediately greeted us with a most welcomed Rum Punch, cold face towels and a warm smile. Christian politely introduced us to all of the resort staff that we encountered. From the grounds keepers to the office workers, it was clear to see that the employees were friendly, helpful, appreciated the locale of where they worked.

Once we entered the office Christian introduced us to Oscar, the manager. Oscar checked us in and took us to our villa. As we walked by the beach, we were in awe by the sheer blueness of the water, majesty of the sky, and absolutely beauty of the entire country. With the sugary sand underfoot and our drinks in hand, we approached our villa. When Oscar opened the door and gave us the tour, the two of us both decided that we were in love with this place. The private patio overlooked the pool and also featured a hammock and a gorgeous ocean view. We cooked simple meals in the quaint kitchenette that included a two-burner stove, a single basin sink, and refrigerator. We were able to relax in the living area on either the futon or the armchair, while the bedroom had the most comfortable bed I have ever had in a hotel room. The bathroom was nice but did not seem to have fresh water all the time so do not use to brush your teeth or drink. Yes, the wifi was weak, but if you are that worried about the internet connection, then you are doing it wrong. Overall, the room was awesome and quickly seemed like home.

As stated above, the beach sand was sugary and the water was like being in the bathtub. As I am sure you have seen in the brochure, there are SUP boards, kayaks, pedal boats, snorkeling equipment, and a Hobie Cat available for guest use. These were almost always available during our weeklong stay. There was an inordinate amount of sea grass that had washed up on the beach but the grounds men worked all day to clear it out. We could tell that the people at X'tan Ha wanted us to have the best experience that they could offer. Be on the look out for baby sea turtles and colorful fish directly off shore. If you go a little deeper you can possibly see nurse sharks and stingrays!

We did go on an excursion with No Worries Tours that operates literally on the resort dock. We traveled with Keith to the northern tip of the country to see the Mayan temple ruins then we took tubes through rivers that traversed underneath mountains. It was awesome! No Worries also offered fishing trips, snorkeling trips, and other adventures. Though you can book other tour guides in San Pedro, we highly recommend No Worries for their ease, knowledge and convenience. Keith was smart, witty, entertaining and knowledgeable about everything from the national politics to which termites we could eat. He was so cool and very proud of his country!

While the bar may have been a little pricey, Obie and Tony were definite mixologists! Their drinks were delicious and strong (if you like it like that). All the bartenders were super nice and personable as they made you feel right at home. That is if your home rests two feet above the Caribbean Sea! Plus, they had a decent happy hour as well!

If there was a low point to the trip, I would have to point to the Temple Run Tavern. This is the restaurant on the resort itself. The prices were pretty high and the service was on "island time." With that being said, Joshua and Eddie were both super friendly and courteous and the food was quite good. However, you can get away with only eating there sparingly throughout your stay if you utilize your villa's kitchenette.

Take an opportunity to go into the town of San Pedro, if just go shopping for souvenirs and groceries. Prices are about half of the US dollar, so your money can go further. Mata Grande offers to deliver groceries to your villa prior to your arrival but it is very expensive. Next time, I would eat at the Temple Run Tavern the first night then go into town for groceries the following day. You will also be able to see a very interesting little island town.

Overall, I cannot say enough about our experience at X'tan Ha (although it looks like I have tried.) Our stay was more than I ever anticipated as we enjoyed the resort's activities, amenities and people. The staff at the front desk, the maid service, the grounds men, the bartenders and servers, the tour guides and the management personnel all seemed to become friends by the time we left for home. Oliver, Saul, Christian, Obie, Tony, Hil, Eddie, Joshua, Giselle, McKayla, Martha, Oscar, and Felipe all came out to say good-bye to us. My fiancé and I were sad to leave as much for the people as we were for the resort itself. This feeling we found at X'tan Ha was a microcosm for the entire country of Belize. I have traveled the world a bit and this was truly one of the friendliest places I have ever encountered. It was simply UNBELIZEABLE and we are already planning to return!!!

Room Tip: Lower villas have easy access, while uppers seem to have better views. All rooms seemed quiet
Jenks, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is our families second visit to X'Tan Ha. Still LOVE it! We stayed last year (June 2013) & again this year (July 2014). They've added lots of very nice "little" touches.

This time around we booked an Ocean Front room (upper level) - that's the ONLY way to go. You get a continuous breeze (keeps the mosquitoes completely away), a breathtaking view & a hammock to take an Oceanside nap in.

We were thrilled to see a familiar face - "Hill" was still at "X'Tan Ha - but in a different way. He now has his own Dive Shop right on the resort property - "No Worries Tours" (see separate Trip Advisor posting & lots of pics). He can set you up with it all: We rented Jet Ski's, Lobster Spear fishing & sardine catching (Kali says "Thank you"). He has a team of really great guides working with him. These guys really know their stuff! Most of all Hill & an awesome guide (Joey I think is his name) gave us a VIP tour to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley. This was a once in a lifetime event for us - Sharkboy (Cale) & family/friends will have lasting memories of that day forever. I could never repay you enough for that amazing experience!

The restaurant was great. I've seen a few postings complaining of food, service & even prices. I don't get it?!? Eddie - your service was fabulous .... You 2 guys ROCK in there! Keep on doing what you're doing!

Our kiddos had another great time ordering drinks & hanging out with the Ocean Front Bar staff (a ton of thanks Obie & Tony). Shirley Temples were my kids favorite non-alcoholic drinks this time around (since the island distributor was temporarily out of Root Beer).

The grounds were kept immaculate thanks to Saul & the guys. Saul thanks for the fresh coconuts & being so kind to our little "Princess".

We really enjoyed our nighttime strolls on the dock with the Security Guard. He pointed out Ocean life to us and told us all about Belize. Great way to end the day!

Pre-ordered groceries from Mata Grande again. Highly recommend this service, makes a vacation so much easier to have items delivered (who wants to grocery shop on vaca??). You MUST try the Homemade Coconut Ice Cream - to die for!

So many special things everyone did daily at the resort to make our family & friends stay special - I can't list them all!! We hope to be back next year, and the year after that, and the year after that!

Thanks for everything Miriam Cucul...but we missed seeing youl!!!
See ya next time Buddy (resort pet) :-)
The Streater Family

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Although this resort is somewhat distant from San Pedro, don't let this keep you from coming here.
The beach is unbelievable, the suites are first rate and the service couldn't be better. The restaurant has a good variety of menu items to select from and the bar makes some amazing drinks. The pool area is a great place to relax and unwind. Be sure and check out the new pool that is under construction. The Resort Managers, Oliver and Della and Buddy the dog take the time to get to know all their guests, making you feel like family that has come home for a visit.
One of our most enjoyable vacations in a long time.

Room Tip: Seafront Suites have the best views
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I totally agree with all the positive comments in other reviews. We picked this resort because of the isolated location, and it was perfect and quiet and lots to do.
Here are my tips: I had read up prior to going and packed food, like rice, pasta sides, snacks etc. Do this! We ended up eating at the Tavern only once, but had a great breakfast ($10/plate) and I was really impressed with the tortillas. We ate fresh caught fish, from our fishing tour - we just cooked it up in our little kitchen (all pots etc supplied). Maybe bring olive oil with you. If you buy food in AG it will be expensive, so be prepared, even in the grocery store. If you visit the Mata Grande, know that it is NOT grande. Is the size of a walk in closet, with a limited supply of goods, but the basics for sure, and not cheap probably because of the isolation in that area of the island.

If you are up for it, don't wait for the water taxi (you do not have to rely on others). Get a free bike from the resort and go the 7 miles to town. Yes there are lots of potholes ( i broke 1 beer on the way back) but its flat, just go in the morning before it gets too hot. I bike a lot so this was not a big deal for me at all, and I was surprised more people don't just do this. There is only 1 road, so you won't get lost. The bike had a basket, so I went to the bigger store closer to town and got more groceries, and lots of drinks for a little cheaper, but a greater adventure.

We were there for 4 days/4nights, and never needed a water taxi. We did take the free shuttle offered to Mambo's for dinner one night(excellent BTW, they also have a free shuttle to Portofino's). We bought duty free liquor in Houston, and got some groceries before we got on the water taxi to go to the hotel, just tell Winston you want to and he'll show you were the grocery store is.

We had no issues getting from the airport to the water taxi. No one was waiting but someone asked and they made a call, and it took about 5 minutes for the van to pull up. Then we drove the 2-ish blocks(no joke) to the dock. Coming back we just walked, and they took our luggage in the van.

The staff is excellent, helpful - I felt they took care of us before we asked for fresh beach towels, filtered water etc.

Paddle out to Mexico Rocks and snorkel there. Its almost as good at Hol Chin Marine, with less people and free. Although we did do the tour and it was really cool too! There were big ray rich around the dock too. You can snorkel just at the beach, also.

Ok, the bad stuff: yes, the shower water is horrible tasting and smelling. I thought it was salt water the first time I showered. However, because this is the most negative thing I could think of, I would totally stay here again. I would give 5 stars, if the water was better.
Also, I'd agree with other reviewers, the bar and staff were eh. They didn't have the snacks on the menu, and were out of the daily drink special that we wanted. Which just leads me back to my point about its just better to bring your own drinks and snacks.

So, yes this resort is far from town, enjoy it! its quiet, relaxing, clean and calm. If you are looking for something else, stay closer to town. We also stayed at Coco Beach (sister resort) for a few days. A different vibe, more lively, and closer to town, but if we go back we'd stay at X'tan Ha.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, it's a small place. Even the pool view rooms are steps from the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to X'tan Ha Resort? Share your experiences!