“Magical!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of X'tan Ha Resort

You added X'tan Ha Resort to your Saves list
X'tan Ha Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 1 | 7.2 Miles North, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize (Formerly Belize Legacy Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Stoughton, wi
“Magical!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I can't say enough about this place! It was paradise from the minute we arrived. Originally planning on only staying 3 nights we extended our stay to 7 nights. If you are looking for paradise, this is it! The staff was incredible! Very professional and inviting. And the location was out of this world! Unbelievable beach, clear blue water, tons of water activities (paddle boards, kayaks, bikes, etc), onsite dive shop, outstanding restaurant, and the most incredible tiki beach bar right on the water (one of the only beach bars at any resort directly on the water). This was more than a vacation, it was a fantasy come true. Thanks again to the wonderful people (turned friends) for the most amazing week!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
It is always a rush for us here at X’tan Ha when we read comments or reviews like these. We are happy that you got to enjoy your stay and in turn create some fond memories for yourselves.

We are hoping that even if your next stay is not with us that you get to create even more fond memories and share them. Thanks for taking the time out to share your thoughts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We loved this place. Of all the reviews I had read before booking, I knew that it would be the best selection. They met us at the airport, drove us to the water taxi & gave us a welcome drink--all free. Before getting on the taxi, the driver stopped at a grocery store so that we could buy beer for our fridge. Every room is a suite w/kitchen. They furnish coffee, sugar & cream. All employees were extremely nice. The kitchen manager gave us her Key Lime pie recipe (that was the best we had ever had in our lives!) & even gave us 2 cans of the special condensed milk required to make it! Our waiter, Alfred, was so sweet that we still miss him! We went in Sept, so there were very few other guests, so we felt like we had our own private resort! But with a small crowd, we had fun visiting w/them. The hotel is 7 miles from the main town of San Pedro, so you have to take a fast, bumpy motorboat taxi. We went to town twice & there's not much to see there, so it wasn't a problem being far from it. Hotel provides free taxi rides 2 days a week. One day, we took a taxi to town & then the ferry from there to Caye Caulker & had a nice time seeing everything there, but were glad we chose Ambergris Caye to stay on. I gave the surrounding area of the hotel a low rating, because a walk down the beach in either direction outside of our hotel grounds was nasty w/washed up trash--no fault of our hotel. Panama is in the same condition. We highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a pool view, but we still had the ocean view immediately beyond it and could hear the surf.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We thank you for taking the time out to provide us with your feedback and educating our future guests as what to expect. It was indeed our pleasure to serve you guys and we do look forward to seeing you on your next vacation.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to stay at X'tan Ha (pronounced - "ish-tan-ha) after extensively researching San Pedro Hotels. Initially, our main focus was the seclusion - I will get back to that later. We were sold on the peaceful, white sandy beach with swimmable, clear, aqua blue water.
And it provides all of that.

For eye candy purposes we liked the colorful Tiki Hut designed cabanas. Our room had a great view of the ocean, living room, kitchen and huge (king?) sized bed. Yes, there was hot water in the bathroom.

Arriving at the resort by complimentary water taxi (Captain Sydney was the BEST) we were greeted by two staff members. One friendly guy took our luggage directly to our room, while Jose gave us a verbal tour of the grounds and accommodations. Thankfully he checked us in rather quickly.

We changed into our bathing suits and we went swimming. X'tan-ha has one of the best swimmable beaches on the Caye. The water was refreshing and transparent. They have a trampoline with a water slide and volley ball net set up in the water for your pleasure. The bar is conveniently located on the beach and Chi was a really nice and informative dude. They also have other beach activities; kayaks, snorkeling gear, peddle boats and paddle boards. Of course they had beach chairs for lounging and a hammock. Sadly, we missed the bon-fire on the beach the first night!

The staff was cool and everyone was friendly. I like that they do not bring their problems to work and even dealing with me (a virgo) lol, they always gave their best side and it was sincere. They are very accommodating and get you anything you need.

One thing that did bother us was the fact that X'tan-ha is soooo secluded and they only have one restaurant and the food is below average. My opinion, obviously, this was the worst food we had in Belize. To be fair, we only ate local food thereafter, so the bar was set high. On top of that they do not stay open continuously throughout the day. The one and only restaurant closes at 5pm to set up for dinner (6pm-9pm). When you are this secluded you definitely need more than one option for food and there should never be down time to accommodate your guests dining needs.

Yes, they do have a store - off of the property - that you can order food for delivery. I recall hearing that there was at least a $20 delivery FEE?!?! I could be wrong on the amount but there is definitely a fee to deliver.

I have already reiterated how friendly the people are...well the mosquitos love you too, ha. My girlfriend had OFF and they were still ON her.

It wasn't that serious but...we initially booked an early morning excursion through the Activities center on the Hotel property. The only rain during our entire trip occurred late in the am of first night and continued until late morning. Luckily we decided to cancel. We were later offered the same excursion from a different company for half of the original price we were originally quoted. Belize's number one source of income is from the tourist industry. Do some research on excursion and companies as the price can fluctuate dramatically.

By afternoon the sun was shining and we decided to take a Kayak out to the famous Mexican Rocks. It's about a 15 minute paddle out. We had an underwater camera and captured yellow-tails, nurse sharks and groupers in pictures and videos. That was worth the stay in itself.

....getting back to that. I really enjoyed the seclusion at X'tan Ha had to offer. Although we initially came for that private getaway, we changed our minds and decided to explore Belize more in depth. You are committed to take the 8:30pm water shuttle from town to X'tan Ha. We knew this schedule would not be ideal for our plan.

We expressed interest to the hotel and Ludrick from X'tan Ha informed us we can stay at one of their two sister resorts that was closer to town (3 miles away). We decided to take them up on the offer and they scheduled a complimentary water shuttle to take us to The Belizean Shores (review pending). No extra charge for the Hotel change at all. Thanks Guys!!!

If you are looking for seclusion and like to get to bed early, this place is perfect. The best beach, peace and quiet and a friendly staff in a tropical environment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time out and providing us with a detailed account of your stay with us. Please note that all documented comments are deemed important and as such are addressed with the utmost urgency.
In light of this our restaurant is in the process of both updating and expanding their menu so as to ensure all our customers are satisfied. Furthermore since you are now well versed with our layout and logistics we do hope that on your next visit you may seriously take us into consideration.
Thank you once again for your time.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I booked X’Tan Ha from September 21 to 28 for our 10 year wedding anniversary after comparing reviews on Trip Advisor so I thought I knew what to expect but it was even better than anticipated. Since I appreciate detailed reviews I will try and give as much detail about the resort as possible.

Front desk

Once I had booked our trip I contacted the resort directly to arrange for our transfers to and from town and to get more information about the resort. Miriam contacted me promptly and arranged our flights on Tropic Air and gave me suggestions for groceries, tours etc. I started to panic a little bit when I kept calling restaurants in San Pedro and they were closed due to it being low season but Miriam quickly assured me that everything would be open at the resort.

Everyone at the front desk was excellent to deal with. Be sure to buy your Coastal Express passes through them as it is cheaper than buying in town. The front desk can also arrange for your spa services and they also have a few toiletries (sunscreen, bug spray, etc) for purchase.

Rooms

We had a lower level oceanfront suite and it was worth it. We were steps from the beach, bar and front office and had excellent wifi reception. I felt the room was very spacious with lots of storage. The staff had decorated everything with flowers (even the toilet seat). The air conditioning worked well especially with all of the ceiling fans turned on.

I really enjoyed having the kitchenette. It was well equipped for the meals we prepared (one dinner, a few lunches and most breakfasts). They provide paper towels, dish detergent, coffee filters, sugar and creamer packets, coffee and a five gallon jug of drinking water.

The bed was great. Huge and comfy but I didn’t love the plastic feeling mattress cover but it is probably a necessity in the heat and humidity. There is a large wardrobe, dresser and two end tables so more than enough storage. There is a decent tv in the bedroom with quite a few channels and you can also get movies from the front office to play in the dvd player.

The bathroom was clean and spacious. There was some issue with the toilet not flushing but it was fixed promptly. There are a few toiletries provided (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower gel and soap)

Restaurant

We visited the restaurant for quite a few lunches and dinners and they were delicious. I didn’t find the prices out of line for the island. The lobster roll and burgers are a must try. The menu is small but I expected that for the size of the resort and they always have some kind of fish/seafood special. The service was always friendly.

Pool/Beach

I used the pool a few times and it was a decent size with a few lounge chairs and umbrellas around it. The beach was fantastic and was cleaned regularly. It had lounge chairs, sea kayaks, paddle boats, a picnic table with an umbrella right in the water and a water trampoline. I found it very easy to do nothing or keep yourself occupied.

No Worries Tours

Apparently the tour shop recently opened and it was very convenient to be able to take tours without going into town.

My husband did a Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley/reef fishing/beach bbq with No Worries. He had a great time with Mario and Kevin and raved about the fish tacos on the beach.

We both took the Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley snorkeling trip. Mario and Kevin were very entertaining. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we would definitely take that tour again.

Spa Services

The spa services were very easy to set up through the front desk. I had a Belizean massage on the porch so I could hear the waves. The Belizean was just the right amount of pressure and I loved the scent of the eucalyptus oil. I also had a banana hair mask which really helped with my tangled, windblown, sun damaged hair and the smell was incredible.

Overall

We lucked out with the weather. Hot, sunny and breezy every day. This kept the mosquitos down immensely. We were only bothered by them one evening at dusk and on the mainland in the jungle. I did get bitten by a few sand flies on the beach one day but bug spray with deet took care of that.

This was an amazing trip from beginning to end which was mainly due to our experience at X’Tan Ha. It is a secluded resort but I found that is what made it so romantic. I never felt stranded as we planned ahead for a couple of days off the resort and had lots to do while we were there. I also found ordering groceries and liquor for our room made us feel like we weren’t forced into using the restaurant or bar all of the time. We are already talking about when we can return.

Thank you Oliver, Miriam, Hill, Mario, Kevin and all of the other staff (I’m sorry if I can’t recall all of the names) for making our 10th anniversary trip even better than our honeymoon!

Kim and Doug Kirkwood

Room Tip: Loved the oceanfront suite and the rooms in building 1 get great wifi reception and you are steps fr...
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
It was indeed a pleasure to host you guys for your 10th wedding anniversary. We are enthused by your detailed review and management and staff alike looks forward to your next visit.

Thanks for taking the time out to share your thoughts and comments.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

First I have to say that when you arrive at this resort, you will be taken aback with all of the colorful buildings and beach area. It really is a playful resort. There is a catamaran (for those who know how to sail), kayaks, paddle boards, floating couch, water trampoline, volleyball net, snorkeling gear and more. We were never really bored. The beach is larger than other resorts on Ambergris Caye and the best part is you can actually swim in the water right from the beach! The sea grass does not grow as close to the beach as the rest of the island. The property is what makes this resort rate a "very good" for me.

We were celebrating our 20th anniversary & a bottle of champagne was waiting for us in our room. It was very thoughtful & appreciated.

The bar is right on the beach & its a great place to hang out. We had two different bartenders while we were there and they were very friendly. Although...one of the bartenders was not as attentive so we had to wait a long time for our drinks (20 minutes). We were relaxed so we just went with the flow. We ordered food from the restaurant and it was delicious! We never actually ate in the restaurant due to the mosquito problem. We sat at the bar & ate our food, there is more of a breeze in this area of the resort so the mosquitos were not as bad.

The rooms are older. The resort was closed down until the new owners renovated it. It has been open since December 2012. While we were there, they were still working on getting it up to speed. The room had a small kitchen/living area (very small), a bedroom & very small bathroom. The furnishings were so-so. The bed was okay but not great. The water had a sulfer smell that I really did not enjoy showering in. The resort really needs to get this taken care of.

The pool is very pretty. It was really warm though. The ocean water was also exceptionally warm. It heats up a lot because of the shallow water, it is no more than a few feet deep until you are on the other side of the reef.

There were mosquitos. We did not encounter very many at the first place we stayed as it always had a nice breeze and was located South of San Pedro. This location is farther North & is built right next to a dense jungle.

You can only access this resort by boat (unless you're up for an adventure). The boat shuttles are frequent so you will not have a problem getting into town. I read at least one review who said there were hardly any shuttles to & from town and they felt "stranded". This is not true, at least not anymore. It should not even be a concern. X'Tan Ha offers a free shuttle on Thursdays which many of the guests took advantage of. Thursday is also the same day that the "chicken drop" takes place in San Pedro, that is a sight to see!

The first few days there were not enough beach chairs for everyone and the guests would get up in the morning to "claim" their chair. It was frustrating because sometimes these chairs would go hours with no one using them. New chairs arrived a couple days before we left, so that may not be a problem now.

Overall, I do recommend this resort for families, large groups, etc. I did not feel it was very romantic for couples, but others may disagree with me. We are used to very nice accommodations and X'Tan Ha's rooms just did not meet our expectations. Other than that, everything else was great!

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach would be a better choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
We thank you for taking the time out to voice both your praise and concerns. Rest assured management is working diligently to have all these issues (water; beach chairs etc...) resolved.
We especially liked you pointing out the shuttle issue so that our readers understand that they are not stranded and have the luxury of going to town at their convenience.
Thanks again for your contribution and we hope that these tips aid in assisting some of our potential customers with their vacation planning.
Richmond, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Where do I even begin? Perhaps I’ll start with magical, majestic, enchanting, endearing, warm, romantic, fun, amazing, spectacular, DIVINE!!!! From beginning to end everyone at X’tan Ha made sure our 10 year anniversary was nothing short of memorable. I picked this resort based on previous tripadvisor reviews so I was compelled to share my own experiences in hopes that it too will help others. We booked directly through the hotel website and every correspondence with Miriam was answered timely and effectively. The only suggestion I may have to that respect is that they add a Q&A section to their website to avoid all the back and forth with Miriam (which I’m sure she doesn’t mind). She gave me all the information I needed to finalize details, massages, excursions etc.. Such a sweetheart she was! When I arrived, I gave her a big hug!

Rooms: We stayed 4 days in room 6A. It wasn’t directly on the beach (we didn’t pick that option) but you could still see the beach from our room. We overlooked the pool and the beach which was perfectly fine! The rooms were very well equipped as far as essentials went. Toliteries in the bathroom, pots and pans in the kitchen and 5 gallons of drinking water. The A/C works wonderfully! And the beds were SUPER comfortable! The housekeepers tended to the rooms daily and everything was VERY clean! Awesome management on that end.

Food: The restaurant recently changed ownership and the new chef DJ is fantastic! If you want a detailed review, I posted it under their page on TripAdvisor. Look for Temple Run Tavern.

Bar and Activities: As soon as you arrive you are greeted on the dock with a “panty ripper” which is the local drink. It’s made with coconut rum and will definitely sneak up on you! It was delicious and my drink of choice for the whole trip. The bartenders, Hill and Erron, keep you laughing and engaged. On Friday night we had a Bonfire and Erron made his “swamp water” shots which was also delicious. Good drinks priced in US dollars comparable to any bar in the U.S. Hill is also the owner of the Dive Shop who we used to go to Hol Chan and Shark Alley. Fun 3 hour trip to go snorkeling. Saw some awesome stingray’s and sea turtles and PLENTY of sharks! The coral is not colorful, I’d describe it as earth tones. Still beautiful though but not the bright coral you would expect to see. The snorkeling trip comes with water or soda. Wear plentyyyyy of sunscreen!

Beaches: TONS of free activities. Kayak’s, boards, trampoline etc. If you’re bored, it’s /c you ant to be, not b/c you have to be. Lots to do! And lots not to do if you choose that also.
Extra: We booked a couples massage and they arrived with portable massage tables and set up right by the beach. It was early in the am so we didn’t get any sounds which I loved. Just the breeze of the Palm trees and the small waves. Anything in the afternoon and I would imagine it wouldn’t be so relaxing. Sandra and Daisy were AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I got the Swedish and my husband did the Belizean. We were both very happy!

Minor Con: Matagrande grocery. While they are not directly affiliated with the resort, it’s who we used for grocery delivery. In my opinion, it’s not necessary and WAYYYY overpriced. There are water taxi’s that go into town every 2 hours so you are not stranded on the resort as others may view it. It’s $8 USD per person, per direction. But we paid $20 delivery fee for groceries that were way overpriced so it evens out. Next time I’d fly into San Pedro and go into town to get some essentials and then take a water taxi to the resort. For example: I paid $14 USD for Maxwell House coffee (plus delivery fee) when I could've purchased Belizean organic coffee for $9 USD and no fee. That was the biggest disappointment of the trip. I’d suggest to H’tan ha to change their affiliation of delivery providers.

But I can’t say enough amazing things about Mr. Oliver and his COMPLETE staff! Miriam, DJ, Mario, Erron, Hill and all Housekeepers…. I can’t wait until we return! Hasta pronto!

Room Tip: Room 6A overlooked pool and beach without beachfront price. Get Chef's Special off of menu!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We did an extensive search for the right combination of resort facilities, price and location for our anniversary vacation. X'Tan Ha did meet our expectations with what they advertised.
We made our reservations within the 45 day period, as we were pretty sure of not cancelling...though we bought travel insurance too, ...just in case. The resort arranged for the flight from Belize Int'l airport to San Pedro, and put those charges onto our hotel bill...which was convenient. They had a cab driver meet us at the baggage claim in San Pedro, and take us to the boat dock...which is just a 10 min walk away. TIP : Do not take up the driver's offer to go to a local grocery store to stock up - he'll tell u that it's hard to get groceries up at the resort, which is true...but the store he brings you to is in cahoots w/ him....and the bill had additional items in it (we found out too late) that probably goes to his pocket. Also, the store charges more than others....you can always come back via the coastal express, and shop later. BTW, the resort provides a 5 gallon water bottle ...so you needn't worry about clean drinking water.
The boat ride was covered by the resort (2 way transfer), but we had to wait for another group who took their time 'shopping' around for about 1/2 hour. The actual ride took about 25 min, dropping the other group off first, ...XTanHa is about 7 miles north of San Pedro.
Greeter was at the dock to welcome us with welcome drinks....sweet. Checked in, and got our room key w/ a flashlight. Resort looked just like the pics. online....very colorful. Water's warm...in the 80s. Mosquitoes come out at dusk, ....and man, were they vicious. Had dinner at the restaurant on site, which was decent...but pricey though.
Each villa has 4 suites, ...we had one that faced the beach...which was great....we got the morning sun. There's a fridge and small kitchenette, with the necessary utensils, microwave and water dispenser. Coffee, condiments and filter were also provided. Bath was OK, piping could do with some fixups....water's a bit salty (they may be running a de-salination plant somewhere)....we never drank from the tap....only from the dispenser. Wash sink has no stopper plug though.
Bedroom was adequately lighted....ceiling fans w/ light in all rooms. WiFi reception was good where we were. Bed was a bit soft for our liking though we slept well all nights. They had decorated the bed since they knew it was our anniversary....nice ! There's adequate drawer space, and hangers.

The sand was very fine....but the beach has lots of stuff washing ashore....the staff had to sweep up the twigs, leaves, stuff....three times a day. It's not dirty at all, just that there're lots of stuff washing ashore, mostly from mother nature. The water's shallow out to about 300 yards....well, up to wait deep, shoulder depth in some places. Kayaks, paddle boards are provided at no charge....took a kayak out to the reef, about 0.8 miles out, fun !
There's a bar too, but we didn't patronize that....nor the activities center. There's no fitness room here, so we had to go to San Pedro to burn our calories.

Return to San Pedro was pre-arranged, ...however, the taxi that met us at the dock in San Pedro ONLY transferred our luggage. We had to walk to the air terminal. This was a surprise to us, but no big deal as we already knew our way there, and it's only a 5-10 min walk. Mind you, the day's temps are in the 90s, in Sept/Oct. And the humidity's very high....we perspired all the time we were exploring San Pedro.

All in, we had a great vacation, and X'Tan Ha did made us feel welcomed and relaxed. For the price we paid, it was worth it. Great for first timers and repeat visits.

Room Tip: Go for the seaview room, it's worth the price. The pool view isn't anything to shout about.
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to showcasing your concerns via this medium. Rest assured all concerns will be addressed and assessed where needed.

It has always been our goal to ensure that our customers are satisfied and its comments like yours that aids in this process. We thank you once again for your time.

Been to X'tan Ha Resort? Share your experiences!