“A Wonderful Family Friendly Getaway!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of X'tan Ha Resort

You added X'tan Ha Resort to your Saves list
X'tan Ha Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 1 | 7.2 Miles North, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize (Formerly Belize Legacy Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Queens, New York
“A Wonderful Family Friendly Getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place is located a half hour boat ride from San Pedro town. The beachfront is absolutely stunning and unspoiled since is away from the masses. Pulling up to the dock, I felt as though we just landed on Fantasy Island. The views are picturesque. The Villas has a country home look and are beautiful as well. The staff greeted us with a free drink of tasty rum punch which set the tone for the rest of the stay, with the most friendly and accommodating staff one can ever hope for. The internet connection was accessible from the room so if you prefer, you can stay connected to the outside world. I totally enjoyed the service I received from the Beachfront Bar as well as the onsite restaurant. The prices we moderate and the service impeccable, I totally enjoyed the daily specials. If you prefer to prepare your own meals, the room has a two burner cook-top stove. Eating out 3 meals a day could be very expensive for a large family (we are a family of 6) so we prepared breakfast and lunch in the rooms. The room was equipped with all the hardware necessities to prepare meals. I would suggest you pick up supplies in town as we did but you can order supplies from town online. We spoke to other vacationers who did their shopping online and they were satisfied with the prices and it was delivered to their room.
I am not the sort of vacationer who like to fill my day with activities . There are several free activities such as kayaking, snorkeling, wind sailing, and others. There is a jet ski on site, not sure what the rates are. I DO NOT have a single complaint except I wish I had stayed a while longer. Management spoke to new additions to come such as an enhanced menu, a new pool and hot tub. I can't wait to see these improvements and are looking forward for my next visit with more friends. Thank you again for the most wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Garden View Room but in retrospect,I would pay the extra for the Ocean View units...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out and offering your kind comments. We are truly happy that you and your family got to enjoy your stay with us.
The staff at X'tan Ha thanks you and feel free to contact us at any time when planning your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I wanted to find someplace in paradise for a birthday trip. After researching various countries, islands, resorts, and rooms for a full month, we decided on X'tan Ha. It was exactly what we were looking for. Every picture we took looked like a post card, and every person we met was instantly a new friend.
What to expect:
-The single nicest beach on San Pedro, with rooms that let you practically fall into the turquoise water.
-A staff so friendly and accommodating you're as excited to see them every day as you are anything else.
-Delicious Belizean food cooked by some of the most talented chefs you'll ever meet.

What not to expect:
-Vegas resort options and instant gratification. Do your research, this place is 7 miles away from the main town, and boats are not at your beck and call like taxis on the strip.
-Nightlife. You won't be partying till dawn at the hotel, unless you've stocked up your room with booze and you like to party at a whisper. The lifestyle is early to bed, early to rise because there's so much to do (or not to do) every day.

The X'tan Ha is a smaller hotel resort that excels at being a true getaway. There is free wireless so you can check your email or whatever, and television in your room and at the bar. After 24 hours, if you're interested in either of those things, though, you're doing it wrong. On a side note, I am absolutely not a morning person, and was shocked upon arrival that there are no blackout curtains on the windows. When the sun comes up, you're going to know it. To my amazement, however, I loved waking up early and without an alarm clock! Just try it, don't put up towels or anything, and take it from a guy who is arguably the worst waker-upper on the planet it's worth it because you feel like the days last 28 hours.

To get the most out of it:
-It's not cheap to vacation in Ambergris Caye. You should plan for a bit more budget than you would have thought. Island prices are always a little eye-popping.
-Order groceries for delivery before you arrive. You will not need water from the market, they have filtered water jugs in your room that will never be allowed to go empty. You will want snacks, drinks, and simple things like soup to heat up for when everything is closed and you're feeling peckish.
-Plan and purchase your excursions either before you arrive or as soon as possible so you can block that day out. Going to the ruins, zip-lining, and cave tubing are all-day events. It takes hours to get inland and hours to get back.
-Talk to everyone, even if you're not usually sociable. The whole place can feel like a group trip with friends you didn't know you had if you keep the right attitude. We did hear some people griping about little things, and it just made no sense. Slow down, look around, and enjoy a place that for the first time in a very long while didn't have me saying, "I need a vacation after my vacation."

Thank you Everyone at X'tan Ha, it was a pleasure meeting you all and having the most relaxing vacation of my life!

For the future:
They are working on a new swimming pool area, three separate dining menus, and a dive shop on their private dock. If it's this good now, improvements can only mean they will be #1 in Belize within 5 years.

Room Tip: Ocean front is the best way to go when choosing rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
It is extremely sobering when we get reviews like these simply because we know that you were one of our guests that truly got it (true seclusion) and in fact enjoyed it. Our projects for improvement are well underway and yes we do hope to make it to that #1 spot.

The management and staff at X'tan Ha truly thank you for taking the time out to voice your opinions and for contributing factoids that would aid our next visitor; Needless to say that we will be keeping an eye out for your next booking with us.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This resort has nicely appointed condos, great pool area and lovely beach, but it not ideal for diving the Belize world class reef. It is so far north that the major dive shops will not make the 20 minute boat ride to pick you up at the dock and the water taxi costs $10 (American) per person per ride, so add $40 to the dive cost unless you dive with Action divers, Portofino dock. They are a small independent company with fast boats but not much 'valet dive' comfort. For advanced divers only. Plan to spend plenty of money on food/drink as the resort is isolated and the kitchenette is sparsely furnished. All travel is by water. The resort does not really cater to divers so no rinsing or dive gear storage is on site. It is more like a honeymoon resort. Romantic. They say they will have their own dive shop on the dock soon, so check before booking. Most of the great diving is closer to the south end, but we enjoyed the sites we dove. It rained us out 4 of the 9 days and no dives went out.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms, first floor, walk right out to the beach with a killer view and big front dec...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
We thank you for pointing out your concerns and observations here at our Resort. All information provided is being looked at so as to better serve you in the future.

Unfortunately this is our rainy season so hopefully next time you visit we have an all clear weather so that you could truly enjoy what our island and reef has to offer.
Colleyville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The picture on the internet looks just like the resort, but it is difficult to get to. One must rely on a water taxi and when we were picked up our taxi driver driver told us to spend more time in town and then he would come back and pick us up. After one hour we were on the way to our hotel. We were met at the dock by management and our bags were taken to our room.
That night the power went out and no one came by to explain what was happening. I would suggest some type of system to use in case the power goes out again. The rest of the day was a mess. Different people were told different things and some of us were told nothing of the plans to change resorts and when this would happen. Some of the guests cooked some food but others were not a part of that either.
We did come back to the resort the next day but we were not offered any type of compensation for all of the hassle. It would have been nice to offer guests another night or return night to try the hotel another time. I Understand that the electricity outage was caused by a bad storm but I would think you would want guests to return again to give the resort another try.
The food was very good but I thought it was expensive for the type of resort that the X'tan Ha reports to be. Maybe a variety of priced items for guest preference. Lastly, the bar was not very accommodating to those who were not drinking alcohol. The bar obviously caters to drinkers but it is where guest congregate and interact and all guests should be treated respectfully.
All and all I think the resort has great potential and management is friendly and wants to make your stay comfortable. I will try this resort again and hope they make a few changes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We thank you for voicing your concerns; kindly allow us the opportunity to offer our sincerest apology for the lack of communication on our end. In addition please note that this has been a learning experience for us and that we are taking the necessary precautions to alleviate or at least make proper decisions should we be faced with any issues along these lines.

Furthermore you may contact us at any time to discuss your compensation for any inconvenience caused. We thank you once again and hope to see you again of course under more pleasant circumstances.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I ended our honeymoon with four days here. The accommodation itself was fabulous, and the it was a real treat being able to have groceries delivered and self cater after many weeks away. The staff were incredibly helpful in many way, for instance by lugging spare beach furniture down to the shore front for us when all the sun loungers had been 'claimed'by guests who had thrown towels on them first thing and then disapeared back to their rooms! However there has been one key issue that I havent been able to get my head around, a month on since leaving this hotel. On the second day I developed a huge itchy bumpy rash all over my bum and thighs after swimming and sitting in the shallow water enjoying the sun. It was itchier and uglier than anything I have ever experienced, with welts deleloping in same areas and was absolute agony. Both my husband and I went to reception for help but the staff seemed very unconcerned, shoulder shrugging with comments like 'oh yes that happens sometimes'etc, something abouy 'dont walk around barefoot in the sand' (not that they warned us of this on arrival!) and 'put some windex on it'. They didnt offer to find any windex however and when I tracked down housekeeping it turned out they didnt even have any. I thought windex was a strange solution anyhow but being as isolated as we were we didnt have the option of purchasing any either. Eventually I managed to get someone at reception to give me cortisone cream which helped me sleep to some extent. One month on and most of the welts cleared but when red streaks suddenly started appearing from the remaining ones I went to the doctor. Turned out to be cutaneous larvae migrans crawling around under my skin. So gross I wont go into it. Turns out it is the result of dog/ cat faeces in the sand and the larvae can transfer very easily through the skin (usually the feet). With the family dog running free around the beach as well as a few ratty strays I saw while we were there I am really shocked that reception took this so lightly and was no help what so ever. Have since found out it is quite common in Belize which just astounds me further that they were not more prepared with some treatment for their guests but happy to send us home to spend a month trying to figure out what was going on. A very disapointing end to what started as a wonderful few days. SO enjoy this hotel but be very very aware of the sand and the water!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The driver to pick us up from the airport was half hour late to get us and when he arrived didn't mention it and just loaded our bags without any greeting. We took our water taxi to the resort and was blown away by the grounds and our room. They have a small but fun bar by the water but the bar and restaurant seemed really disconnected. By 10pm our first evening a good rain storm was in full force and the resort lost power. I completely understand that not being under their control but no one came to explain to us what was happening or any information. It was extremely hot in the rooms so we managed the best we could with the temperatures.

By morning we went to the front desk to see what was going on and were told the power would return by a half hour. So we went to the restaurant for breakfast. Food was obviously limited but delicious. We decided to go swimming in the ocean to cool down. Water is beautiful and hung out by the bar with Chi, the bartender. He was great with keeping our spirits high on the power returning. Unfortunately he was the only staff member that was attentive.

By 2pm we had made friends with other resort guests and all of us were hungry. The kitchen was closed but staff kept saying the power would be back very soon. So we all pulled together our resources and made our own fire and cooked fish. Chi assisted us with making guacamole. As we were cooking the fish, the head of the kitchen at the restaurant came over laughing and saying they have a grill we could have used. I found this offensive because he sat there watching me build the fire and other guests making the food. We were later told by one of the Maintenance staff that the kitchen had been cooking food all day for the staff so they wouldn't have to throw it out and "I can't look at any more food." This was beyond insulting considering they never once offered their guests food.

By 5pm we had heard so many mixed rumors of what was happening and when the power would return. When my boyfriend went into the office for an update he was told by the Assistant Manager that he should have been coming in and asking for updates not listening to staff. We were offered the chance to transfer to their sister resort Belizean Shore for the evening or for the duration of our trip, only after my boyfriend suggested it.

We quickly packed our luggage and went to the dock to wait with the other guests for the water taxi. Once again we were met with rudeness from the staff and told we had to pay for the taxi to get to the sister resort. The final nail in the coffin was the fact that the staff including the assistant manager took the first water taxi for themselves and made the guest wait an extra 15 min for the next one. All with a "goodbye" and a wave as we stood on the deck in the dark. We were all in shock that this not only happened but was the final slap in the face.

When we finally checked out of the sister resort there was no letter from the manager to apologize or a possible credit or discount but nothing. Beautiful grounds room for potential but will never return.

• Stayed August 2013
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
We thank you for bringing all this to our attention even though we would have preferred your views at the time of your discontent. However some points must be brought to light:

1. The information that was conveyed to our guests came directly from the power company and did not feel it necessary to second guess any reports provided since they are the experts.
2. For that same reason all guests were offered a free transfer to our sister resort (who had power) and was advised of the specific time as to when that shuttle would depart. However your team decided to stay and convene at the bar and it was not until it became evident that we would not get power anytime soon, that the office staff was bombarded with a request to leave.
3. We did make preparations for your team to leave by chartering a boat, for which the cost was absorbed by the resort. Second to that the boat that the assistant manager left on was in fact the regular water taxi which evidently came before your special run. Furthermore the resort manager was in fact available and on the dock when your chartered boat arrived.
4. All guests who expressed concerns and dissatisfaction were in fact offered some sort of refund or reimbursement for the inconvenience. In addition those that did not get direct reimbursement were asked to contact their travel agent since a refund would have to be on their end. For those parties who decided to return to the resort when power was resumed a personal thank you coupled with an apology was verbally provided by the resort manager who was on the dock at the time of your departure to the sister resort.

Nonetheless be it late in your eyes we at X'tan Ha understands and take your views very seriously and offer a genuine apology for being “insensitive” in regards to the restaurant not serving food and rest assured this will be taken up with their management. Furthermore please note that this was in fact a learning experience and as opposed to offering a suggestion on managements end it would now be a demand so as to alleviate any unnecessary issues. We thank you once again and hope that your next vacation would be more enjoyable.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at X'tan Ha for one week. After a long plane ride into San Pedro, we waited 50 minutes on a hot dock for the resort's boat to pick us up. When we finally arrived at the resort, we were told the restaurant closed at three. At 2:30 we went to the restaurant to eat and they told us they were closed for lunch because they had a beach barbecue and that was now over. Why we weren't informed of this upon check in I don't know. Then, this resort advertises Wi-fi. We could not get a signal in our first room. After attempting to take a shower and having NO hot water, management kindly and apologetically moved us to another room where the wifi occasionally worked, but there was hot water. Management sent us a bottle of wine and came to our room to apologize. Aside from a rough first 24 hours, small details were not taken care of at the resort (ie they didn't have pool/beach towels available when we went to request them at the front office, housekeeping did not refill our coffee filters, sugar , or creamer- and front desk could not provide these items for us). Basically, this vacation was a lot of hassle although management was always apologetic about everything. The last night of our stay we were (again) relocated to a sister resort because the power had gone out on the north part of the island (not the resort's fault) and the resorts generator had broke down. We were placed in the Belizean Shores resort which was much more relaxing and we were well taken care of there. Also, know that if you stay at X'tan Ha, the only way to get to and from town is by boat taxi that is somewhat reliable and only takes trips every two hours.

• Stayed August 2013
Ludrick, Manager at X'tan Ha Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for stating your concerns and allowing us an opportunity to make clear the circumstances.
Firstly we indeed were having issues with power on the north side of San Pedro which of course did not allow our housekeeping department to do any laundry as the water we did have was reserved primarily for our guests; Hence no beach towels at the front office. In regards to not having any refills for your coffee, this was addressed by management.

Second to that we have 3 sister resorts which uses our boat captains hence strategic coordination must be conducted to effectively transfer our guests. Again the power issue did affect our communication with said captains which in turn caused a delay.

In the case of the restaurant not being able to serve you any meals at that time is on there management since they are independently managed.
Nonetheless we do thank you for voicing your concerns and hope that your next vacation is spent with less stress and inconvenience.

Been to X'tan Ha Resort? Share your experiences!