“Good boat staff” 4 of 5 stars

Corvallis
13 attraction reviews
“Good boat staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Because "Monkey Business" at Banana Beach has a business deal with Ambergris Divers, directing their guests to them, I made all of my dives while in San Pedro with Ambergris. I'm an experienced diver (4000 hours +) and what I found was competent boat staff (skippers and dive masters), but an inadequately supplied shop (example: they provide only shoe fins, not the adjustable strap kind - a critical issue, in my opinion). Fortunately, I brought my own BC, mask and regulator; one of the other diver's Ambergris-provided regulator hose leaked at the tank connection - not a big deal, perhaps, but in my world, dive gear maintenance is imperative.

What I was particularly impressed with was the diligence of the Ambergris dive masters in protecting the coral and other organisms from impact by novice divers - an attitude not shared by at least one other dive businesses there - "L'il Alphonse" whose dive guides actually encourage their guests to do stupid things like pick up nurse sharks and hug them for photo ops. And this in a sanctuary area. Ambergris Divers should be the model for other dive companies in this regard.

For future Belize trips, I intend to go with enough diving friends so we can charter our own boat (with an experienced skipper) to go where we want and spend as long as we want. Tourist dive businesses are OK if you don't mind them making all the decisions which are based on management's bottom line. For what you get from Ambergris, for what they do, is a good enough value, however.

Austin, Texas
17 attraction reviews
“Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I did shark ray alley on my honeymoon. They picked us up from our rental home and took us to the catamaran. Beverages were provided and the scenery was beautiful. We were able to get so close that the sharks would actually brush by you. At first it was a bit scary but, after a few minutes you forgot they were even sharks. We did snorkel as well on the edge of the reef. We saw grouper fish as big as a volts wagon beetle car. It was amazing. We also saw eel and hundreds of other sea life. On the way back the captain hooked fishing lines to the boat and allowed passengers to fish. We had a great time but be sure to take sunscreen and a hat.

Visited August 2012
Long Beach, California
29 attraction reviews
“Great dive company, equipment faulty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was a great dive company, all the dive masters were great - professional and fun! However, my equipment kept leaking. Luckily the equipment was perfect for blue hole diving. For the local diving on the 2nd day, my regulator leaked and so everytime I breath, I tasted salt water. Even the backup leaked. I told them right after the dive, because I didn't experience the leak until I hit the water. So I don't know what advise to give to avoid it before you get into the water. You can't hear it leaking, or at least I didn't...take afew extra breaths. It happened on the night dive too, but the backup worked. You can hear it in my video too where it sounds like I'm making bubbles. CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT thoroughly. I read this advise before, and I should of checked more closely. GREAT DIVERS! Great instructions and thoroughness on the dive plan. I felt completely safe with these professionals. Thanks Ambergris Divers for the experience. Hope to come back again and dive with them again.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Ambergris Divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I experienced my first ocean dive with Ambergris Divers, and WHEN I return to San Pedro, that is who I will dive with again!! Roberto, Manuel, "Flip", the experience and patience these guys have is extraordinary.
They look after every detail, if you have an area that needs improvement, they work with you and keep an eye on you to make sure you're safe and will have the best dive experience possible!!

Geraldo and TJ looked after everything you need for a safe ocean trip...including a great sense of humor. The entire staff will put me at ease, as if we were longtime friends.

Visited March 2013
Osage Beach
“MrBruce2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I just returned rom 3 weeks in Belize. While there I dove with Ambergris Divers and wouldn`t do it any other way. From the time Jeffrey picks you up at your resort to the time he brings you back is the best dive experience you will ever have. The Dive master, Filipio, is the most professional, curtious, helpful, safe DM you could ask for. As for the boat captain and crew, you won`t find any better service on the island. For anyone heading to Belize to dive, snorkle,fish, etc., there is no one else on the island to even consider. These guys are the best!!