“Amigos del Mar Dive Shop” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 70 activities in San Pedro
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Established in 1987, Amigos Del Mar is a PADI, SSI and SDI resort facility which specializes in full-service diving, instruction, snorkeling, and fishing expeditions and is ideally situated in the heart of San Pedro Town. Our boats provide a convenient complimentary pick-up service at most of the island’s major hotel docking establishments. We provide local diving expeditions on a daily basis starting with two dives at 9 am and two afternoon dives commencing at 1 pm. Night dives are also available upon request. In addition to the local diving excursions, trips to Belize’s renowned offshore atolls including Turneffe, “The Elbow”, Turneffe North, and The Great Blue Hole situated at Lighthouse Reef are also available. All offshore packages are full day excursions which consist of three dives and include continental breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks.
Santa Ynez, California
“Amigos del Mar Dive Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Thank you so much for making my experience something I will not forget. Alex is a great dive master and safety is his primary concern, making sure everything goes as it should. Juan as our dive master in the snorkeling world was amazing. Making sure we were safe, fixing me up after my snorkel malfunctioned and shared an amazing underwater world. I will be back. Thanks guys. Unforgettable

Visited July 2013

“Worst customer service ever by the lady that ran the desk.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We had an awesome time with mike, carlitos and John. They were very informative, boat was awesome and the dives were to die for. On the other hand the lady that worked the front desk was horrible.( The small skinny one) She was so rude. She had no customer service at all. This shop would be all around great if she wasn't there.

Visited August 2013
“John is a great dive master!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had a great time diving with John and Carlitos! Carlitos is great with customers and very outgoing, he knows how to entertain the group! John is knowledgable with the area and awesome dive spots..(professional) That's a plus for divers!! The skinny lady at the front desk on the other hand is rude and does not care if you dive with their company and is proud to talk about how she controls the house:/...

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent Blue Hole Day Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Come to find out, most hotels and other dive shops use Amigos del Mar and will channel you into them even if they claim to have their own Blue Hole trips. It seems in most cases the other hotels and dive shops are just a middleman. So my boyfriend and I went straight to the easy-to-find Amigos shop and signed up for their Blue Hole trip. It was a wonderful day full of surprises. I snorkeled and my boyfriend dove, and we both were very pleased with our experiences. We felt safe at all times. There were many staff members on board--enough to accommodate any need you might have--and they were a lot of fun. We had breakfast before leaving (the most delicious biscuits we had in Belize, fruit, and coffee) and then were surprised with homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches after the first dive/snorkel. After the second dive/snorkel, we had lunch at Half Moon Caye, which is absolutely worth going to and perhaps the most beautiful place we saw our entire trip. Lunch was filling, delicious, and included pie and soda in glass bottles and reusable plates. They actually brought bins to wash the dishes in and then air-dried them by propping them up in the middle of a table. It was charming. After the third dive/snorkel, on the way home, they surprised us with Snickers bars for all. Then came rum punch. Some reviewers have complained about this aspect of the trip, but we found it delightful. If you don't want to enjoy a nice drink in the sun--or at least smile at others who do--why are you in the Caribbean? It is not as if they are distributing booze before any of the dives; at the end of a long day, guests were able to relax with a rum punch, which shortened the lengthy ride back to San Pedro. The series of snacks was a nice surprise, and it turned out to be our favorite day of our entire trip.

Montreal, Canada
“Great Dives, over controlling dive masters”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I spent a week in Belize. The Blue Hole trip was part of our package with SunBreeze Hotel and their "The Dive Connection" dive shop.

We were transported to Amigos place by boat early in the morning at 5h30 am. The breakfast was a good idea since at that time, we cannot eat at the hotel. This consisted of coffee, pineaple juice, bread or something close to it, cheese and fruits.

The staff is very helpful and they take care of the regulators and tanks. We were lucky to have nearly flat seas and the boat ride was a bit shorter than usual (about 2,5 hours). On our way, the captain stopped the boat to let us admire whales... this was nice of him.

While we were 16 divers, 4 snorkelers, 6 dive masters and the rest of the crew on the boat, we did not feel crowded at all. They really have a nice boat. However, the dive masters and crews do not spend any effort to socialize with their customers. They group between themselves and mostly ignore us unless we need something. I found this pretty unusual.

The execution of the dives is very efficient. We are split in two groups and three dive masters are assigned to each group. The briefing is given with authority and believe me, the dive master wants to be listen! (he'll even be rude if he feels he does not have proper attention). I believe the same contents could be provided in a more friendly way.

The first dive is in the Blue Hole at a max depth of 130 feet... believe me, this not 131 feet! (which is OK as a max depth for a recreational dive). The tour forces us to enter in a decompression dive. The briefing does not provide enough info for divers to acknowledge that. My school of thought is that each diver should be responsible for himself and informed and the dive masters should be guides. The setup was OK with bottles underneath the boat. The dive for me was 39 minutes including decompression (stops at 20 and 10 feet -- I had more deco obligations than others due probably to my past dives during the week).

The second and third dives were on beautiful coral walls. Much nicer than those we have access to near San Pedro. Moreover, There is no skimming of bottom time. Both dives were of approximately one hour.

Here, I will explain my relatively low rating. Underwater, the dive masters assume that everyone is dumb, has no diving experience and needs to be baby sitted. This is certainly a really good thing for dumbs, beginners or people that like to be baby sitted, but not necessarly for experienced divers. If I was a beginner, I would certainly have rated them 5-star as they really take care of the dive profile and they hold the group tight.... you are always under supervision (and at three dive masters for seven divers, they do not miss anything).

However, I consider myself (master scuba instructor, fully trained tech. diver and Cave diver) and my wife experienced and comfortable. Anytime a behavior the dive masters did not like happened, they would bang their cylinders.... there was enough banging that the dives became annoying. I even remember wanting to go back on the boat because of that constant noise. While the dive masters may propose a dive profile, they should in my opinion act as guides.... here, they did not allow anyone to vary from their set profile. If you see something you want to get close to that is 5 foot below, forget it!... BANG BANG BANG. Also, they keep the group really tight... for my, I like space. Usually, I stay either above or below the group to have that good feeling of being alone with my wife looking at the reef. There it was not really possible to be on the reef higher and they would ont allow us to go deeper. We were asked for our pressure every few minutes. which was also annoying... I know my consumption very well and I do not need to be reminded to check my air.

As I said, all that, for less experienced divers are certainly all positive things; after all, we are at 2.5 hour boat ride from any possible assistance if something goes wrong... But for myself, I found that annoying and it removed from my fun of doing that expedition.

The lunch between the dives, on a small island, was great! We had chicken, rice, fruits and coconut pies. We also had time to visit the Island and admire the wildlife.

The way back "home" was similar to the ride going to the Blue Hole.... many people, including me slept on the boat. Back at Amigos, it was pretty much expedited (which is OK as we were looking forward to go back to our hotel). They overloaded our boat of people from various hotels and we went.

Overall a good day (even for the 700$ it cost for the two of us) if not the overly controlling attitude of the divemasters.