“Really enjoyed our stay!” 5 of 5 stars

White Sands Cove Resort
Laguna De Cayo Frances, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Aurora,Illinois
“Really enjoyed our stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed at White Sands Cove for 4 nights in the one bedroom ocean front room. We booked through the hotel directly. The communication between us and the hotel was excellent. They answered all of our emailed questions and more! They even booked out inter-country flights on Maya Air which was very convenient for us.

The room itself was very clean and well organized. We loved that our room was literally a few steps to the beach. The air-conditioning unit is in the bedroom and kept out room pretty cool at night. The bed itself was a bit soft for our taste, but we still managed to get a good night's rest. The bathroom takes away any modesty that you have because there is no door separating the bedroom and bathroom.

We can't begin to say enough about their dive shop! We completed our open water scuba certification with Junior, their divemaster. He was so patient with us, despite some anxiety filled moments! He taught us alot and we are so thankful for him and the other members of his team (Sam.) We totally recommend him to anyone!

The location of White Sands is close to many excellent restaurants. We highly recommend Capricorn and Captain Morgan's Restaurant. They are about 10 minutes walking time along the beach.

Here are some tips that might be helpful: remember bug spray and a LED flashlight for walking in the beach at night. It is a good idea to bring breakfast food items (we brought oatmeal packets and coffee.) Don't be alarmed if you loose power some time during your stay. If you are flying within the country, don't be surprised if the flights don't leave on time....we left before and after our scheduled time on a few flights that we took.

We highly recommend White Sands and hope to visit them again!

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

We stayed at White Sands for our honeymoon and let me tell you, everything was wonderful and flawless! We were there for 10 beautiful days.

The grounds: We stayed in B4 which is a sea front room. It was worth the extra money to stay there. The view was amazing and the wind off of the sea seemed to keep the mosquitoes away from our room. (Another couple complained that there were mosquitoes in their room). It was also on the 2nd floor, which was nice because people weren’t walking passed your windows. The pool and bar area were well kept and there were plenty of places to sit, relax and lay out. We loved the hammock at the end of the dock. No, you can not walk into the water from the beach, but it was not a problem for us!

The room: The room was great! The kitchen is fully stocked with everything you could need. The microwave went out while we were there, but it was replaced the same day. The bed was comfortable. The sheets and towels were clean and newer. Housekeeping did a great job and even cleaned some of our leftover dishes. The bathroom is not really a room, which was fine for us, but may be a problem for some. It is more just an addition to the bedroom. The bedroom had an AC window unit. The front room does not; however the winds help keep things cool. Cable TV was also in the bedroom.

Staff: Everyone on the staff is amazing. They were always easy to find and more than happy to answer any questions you have. All traveling connections were flawless! We never had to wait to be picked up from the airport or the dock. No need to be nervous (as I was)! After we landing in San Pedro, there was a taxi there to pick us up. They took us to the grocery to buy some food and then to the dock where a boat was waiting to pick us up. They took us to White Sands dock where Marlon was waiting with a wheelbarrow to take our suitcases to our room while we checked in. Our day excursion traveling was just as flawless as the days we came and left!

Activities: First off, plan your activities through the resort. Marlon made everything extremely easy and the guides that we had were great. We snorkeled with Tony on 2 different days. Shark Ray Alley and hol Chan are a must. Tony held a stingray and a nurse shark so that we could touch them. There were also a ton of large fish and sea turtles at these sites. Mexico rocks and some of the other smaller snorkeling sites were OK. The island hop to Caye Caulker was nice and Rasta Pasta was a really good restaurant over there.

We also went on the ALL day trip to Xunantunich, cave tubing and zip lining. Our guide was Brainard, which was fun and knowledgeable. The Mayan ruins were definitely something to see! We also got hand carved slate pieces near here. They were a lot cheaper than in San Pedro. Cave tubing was relaxing yet a little scary for me. (You float down a river through a dark cave. The only light is your headlamp. When we went there were only 5 of us in the entire cave!) Zip lining was again a little scary, but a lot of fun. The lines were not as long as I would have thought. It was over pretty quick. BEWARE of the mosquitoes here. I have never seen so many of them in one place. You truly are in the jungle! If possibly, do the zip lining first because you will be pretty hot and smelly from the gear, so the water during the cave tubing is refreshing. The day was long but I am glad we did it.

We took advantage of the free bike and kayak usage. We biked into town one day, which was a great way to explore. The bikes also have baskets on them, which makes it easy to transport things. Beware it is a pretty far trek. It didn’t seem that bad until on the way back! Boy was I tired. The golf cart was much easier and my husband had a blast navigating the small dirt road into town. You must pay a small fee to cross the bridge into town. The kayak was also a lot of fun. We paddled to the reef where we snorkeled again and fished. Make sure your sunscreen your legs if you kayak! We also fished off the dock and caught a large silver snapper and a smaller yellow snapper. My husband grilled them up and had them for dinner.

We also received massages (we had the honeymoon package). The only complaint I had the entire stay was that they tried to charge us for the oils we picked ($20 USD extra). We were unaware of this extra charge until we checked out. Thankfully Marilyn was more than helpful and took off the extra charge that we were never told about. So, if you receive massages, be aware that the aromatherapy oils are an extra charge! The massage itself was OK.

Town: San Pedro was great, although I am glad that we were not staying in town. There were some great handmade items being sold on the side of the road. Most everyone can be talked down in price. The currency was really easy.
2 Belize dollars = 1 UD dollar. Everywhere we went would take either US or BZ.

Tips: -Bring mosquito repellant. You will need it
-Pack some dry food. Food prices are expensive. We checked an entire bag of food. It was great not to leave the condo 3 times a day to eat and we saved a lot of money. The fully stocked kitchen made it extremely easy to cook. Remember no vegetables or meat are allowed through customs.
-Check dates on food items there. Even on the coke bottles. I got one that was a couple months out of date.
-Bring a flashlight. Our room had one, but you will need it to walk the beach at night or during one of the power outages. It was dark by 7pm while we were there. We experienced one power outage, which seem to be common on the island. There are no generators at the resort.
-An underwater camera is great if you are going to go snorkeling.
-No need for fancy clothes. T-shirts and shorts are fine. Sandals are a must.

Thanks WSC staff. You truly made our honeymoon flawless!
Natalie and Nick - Kentucky

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the White Sands from June 23rd to June 28th. Everything went smoothly from the start. We were picked up at the San Pedro Airport and driven to the grocery store and then dropped off at the water taxi pier. The boat ride to the resort only took about 5 minutes or so and was quite fun.

Check-in was a piece of cake and Marilyn (one of the owners) was there to greet us in person. After a few free rum punches at the bar, we were led to our spacious unit to unpack.

My wife was taking her PADI Open Water certification/exam with the resort's dive shop. Junior was truly an outstanding teacher and very patient and attentive to my wife during the entire process. I can't say enough positive things about Junior and his team -- Sam and Juan Carlos. As a certified diver myself, I have dived all over the Caribbean and experienced many different dive shops. The team they have on-site at White Sands is awesome!

The two bartenders at the bar next to the pool were great as well. Rolando and Eden knew our names by the end of the first day. They really go out of there way to get to know you and make you feel right at home. Another shout out goes out to Marlon. He will help you with any of your activities while at the resort. Marlon did a great job of helping us with dinner reservations, ordering the water taxi to come and pick us up, as well as an excursion to the Mayan ruins/cave tubing/zip lining through the rain forest. Marlon has connections all over the island and we felt very confident that he would follow through on our requests.

As for food, we bought groceries and usually made our own breakfast and lunches in the condo itself. The kitchens are fully stocked with anything you may need -- i.e. plates, pans, oven, microwave, blender, etc. We did go to Capricorns, Rojo, Captain Morgan's, and Elvi's in San Pedro for dinners. All were very good. Our favorite was between Captain Morgan's and Capricorns.

Overall, the diving was great and enjoyable. The units at White Sands are spacious, clean, and totally adequate. The staff was absolutely wonderful and very friendly. The island itself is very beautiful and full of great things to keep you busy. We can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — Outstanding service and very friendly staff.
  • Disliked — We would not have changed a thing!!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Xenia, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

White Sands Cove – Simply Paradise!

We stayed at White Sands Cove in May of 2006 and returned again this year staying with them from May 25th through June 1st 2008. Since this was our second trip we thought we knew what to expect – but were we wrong. Mark, Marilyn and Michelle Juneau keep improving upon Paradise.

Our pickup at the San Pedro airport was flawless as was the water taxi ride to the resort. As we remembered, Marlon met us at the dock with his wheelbarrow to take our luggage straight to our room. We then had complimentary welcome drinks at the new poolside Palapa bar while we checked in.

White Sands Cove is relatively small which means they can provide top notch service with a friendly family atmosphere. By our second day, Eden and Rolando the bar tenders knew our names as did Marlon and Alejandro who manage the resort and activities.

My wife and I love to snorkel and fish and since we had gotten most of the tourista trips accomplished on our last visit, we concentrated on these activities. The on site Dive Shop arranged several snorkeling trips for us as well as a day of fishing with beach bar-b-que. Trips to Xunantunich, Lamanai, Altun Ha, the Belize Zoo, the Baboon Community, Cave Tubing or Zip Lining can be quickly arranged through Marlon and Alejandro.

At tip – Do NOT prepay for trips on your own. White Sands Cove only deals with the best guides and will schedule your trips around the weather. If you’ve booked your own excursion and it rains – you will probably lose your money.

We snorkeled Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks, Mata Cut, Tres Cocos and fished near the reef. We saw spotted eagle rays, sharks, green moray eels, octopi, squid, black and white spotted moray eels, black and white sea urchins, beautiful corals and fish of every description.

On two of our trips we had Carlos as a guide and on two others we had Tony. Both are very experienced divers and they took their time to point out all the sea life. Carlos could free dive to 70 feet and blow the most amazing air rings while lying upside down on the bottom. Carlos took our camera to depths well below our limit and snapped fantastic photos for us. Tony collected conch and we ate fresh conch ceviche at the bar within two hours of catching them. On our fishing trip, Tony cleaned our catch and cooked the fish on a coconut husk fire on the beach. We then rolled the fish into homemade tortillas with fresh cooked tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and potatoes. Chef Ramsey had better look over his shoulder.

And I don’t know how they did it but White Sands arranged for us to leave just as Tropical Storm Arthur hit Ambergris Caye. The water taxi ride in sustained 40 mph winds and rain is something we will always remember. My wife and I were laughing our heads off as we bounced in the waves – what a story this would make. And the pilot of our single engine plane at the San Pedro airport said not to worry – he could take off in winds up to 60 mph and it was only gusting to 50-55 mph – no problem.

This is a different kind of resort. The owners and staff are friendly, courteous and bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable and memorable. We are already planning our return to White Sands Cove. On our third trip back, we want to swim with whale sharks and see manatees and have another beach bar-b-que with fish we caught. We can’t wait.

• Liked — People Oriented - Very Open Atmosphere Made Meeting Other People Easy
  • Disliked — The power outages caused by the greedy Electric Company which none of the Resorts have any control over.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

Wow- I read through the reviews on Trip Advisor and thought "Come on, if it sounds to good to be true... it probably is". However, I decided to go ahead and book it even with those doubts and I have to say I AM SOO GLAD I DID! Our vacation was a surprise trip for my husband and our first time in Central America and it was perfect. Most importantly, White Sands made it perfect! They were so easy to work with in planning and they really took care of every detail. Marlon (the Guest Services Manager) recommended a three event in one day excursion given we were only there for five days that was fantastic... we went to Xunantunich (Mayan Ruin in San Ignacio), zip line and cave tubing (in Cave Branch). Our guide - Brainard August (True Vine Adventures) was wonderful - so knowledgable and plesant. While this is a less common Mayan destination and package - we highly recommend it, especially for a short stay. You climb the 130 ft. ruin and can see the great expanse of jungle including Guatemala and the 250 ft. desecnt to the jungle floor.
This is a dream vacation - Really! We loved the location, weather, view, staff and the other guests. I would recommend a sea front room - the view is amazing. - Lisa from Phoenix, Arizona

• Liked — The Staff and the Sea Front Room View
  • Disliked — The bed is a little firm
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

This was my first trip to Belize, and when (not if) I return, I most definitely will be coming back to the White Sands. It is not a luxury resort, it reminds me more of going to the lake cottage as a child, but the service exceeds what I’ve experienced at some of the most high end hotels I’ve stayed at. First, with the accommodations; we stayed in a one-bedroom condo. I think all of the units there have full kitchens, a little dining and living room area and of course the bedroom. Our unit only had AC in the bedroom – which was fine for the time of year. We kept the bedroom door closed to keep the room cool, but left the windows open and fan going in the living room. If you go in the summer it might get a little hot if you aren’t used to southern climates. Beyond that, the rooms are clean and they have all the dishes / pots / pans you might need (we did cook while we were there a couple times).

The bar and pool area are great and aside from the snorkel / dive excursions offered by the staff, I highly recommend taking the kayak out to the snorkel area they have right of the shore of the hotel. I think it might be too shallow to take their power boats to that spot and it was actually the best snorkel we had the entire time. It was just the two of us and the fish and coral (we even saw a nurse shark swim by us). There are a lot of good restaurants, but you either need to hike along the beach or rent a golf cart to get to them. And there is a reason they take you to the hotel via water taxi. The only paved roads on the island are in downtown San Pedro and the road to the hotel is dirt (mud when it rains) and filled with pot holes. Taking the golf cart into town for additional shopping is a bumpy ride indeed.

While those may sound like negatives, it really just adds to the air of adventure that this is still a somewhat ‘undiscovered’ place. Everyone on the island is truly glad you are there. As I mentioned, the staff’s level of service exceeded everything I’ve seen. Within two days everyone knew our names. When we took excursions, the concierge would call to check in to ensure we were seeing everything we wanted to and on schedule. When we had to leave early in the morning to get back to the airport, the manager met us out at the pier to say goodbye and see us off. And the townspeople are that way too – grocery store clerks make small talk, gift shop operators willing to help you look for things in your size. Our golf cart even broke down on one occasion and several people stopped to help us out. I never once felt unsafe or hesitant to talk with someone on the street – it is like you are visiting one big extended family (I can’t really speak to the rest of the country – but in San Pedro this is the case). I have definitely become a fan of Belize on this trip and plan on returning again next Spring.

• Liked — Level of personalized service
  • Disliked — transportation to and from is a little rough
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

If you are interested in diving and pure relaxation, Belize's White Sands Hotel is a great option. The hotel tailored for Divers, provides all the necessary equipment needed to hit the reefs.

Food at the resort was not that great. However, there are good restaurants in the area to grab a bite.

• Stayed January 2008

Been to White Sands Cove Resort? Share your experiences!