“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Riverside CA USA
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our stay at White Sands Cove was perfect! It started off a little rocky as our resort-arranged taxi was late picking us up from the water taxi and we were a little lost for a bit. However, he did finally show up and took us to a market first so we could purchase some groceries. We arrived at WSC and were greeted by Marlon (Manager? Owner?) who checked us in and escorted us to the bar for a welcome drink. Afterwards he showed us to our room where someone had already unpacked and put away our groceries. However, the room was not what we wanted and he moved us to a larger apartment with a full kitchen for the same price, even helped us move all of our belongings. We ended up staying downstairs from the Hummingbird Loft. The apartment was clean and beautiful! It was so comfortable with a full kitchen and screened in porch. We cooked breakfasts and lunches in our apt to defray costs. The staff at WSC was awesome and friendly meeting every need we had. The bartender makes all her own blended drink recipes and is friendly and sweet. We enjoyed the resort mascots, Chico and Chica, to the point where they slept on our porch waiting for us to come out. One of the best parts of WSC is convenience. A taxi ride from San Pedro is expensive IMO (20 BZE) however, we had good luck hitching a ride from the boys at the dive shop when they went into town. There is also a less expensive coastal taxi option. Be sure to get the times down though and call ahead as they don't stop at each resort.
There are a plethora of restaurants within walking distance...some of them I even walked to with no shoes!---Island life! Definitely hit up the tacky, touristy Palapa Bar just down the beach from WSC. The other benefit of WSC is having a dive shop on the premises. We are not experienced divers, but my husband was able to get resort certified in one day with a private guide for a fraction of what it would cost anywhere else in the world. I am a tentative snorkeler and it took me the better part of an hour to get comfortable in the water. However, with the help and extreme patience of my guide, Bernie, I was swimming with sharks by the end of the day! The guys in the dive shop are helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, and patient. I cannot emphasize how great it was to have such patient and willing individuals with us. It really made our trip!
Kayaks and bikes are complimentary at WSC and you absolutely cannot miss the opportunity to kayak out to the reef to snorkel. It's a short 20 minute paddle and Marlon made it easy for us to do even walking us out to the dock and helping us set up our kayak.
Sorry for the lengthy write-up, but if ever on Ambergris Caye again, WSC will be my destination. I hope other travelers will find it as enjoyable as we did.

Room Tip: Save some money and book a garden room. They offer more privacy and are still only steps away from t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Oak Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

WHITE SANDS COVE RESORT IS AMAZING! I consider myself well traveled among the south pacific, central America, and the Caribbean and I must say this resort is BY FAR THE BEST I HAVE BEEN. The property is manicured perfectly, the one bedroom condo beach front was beautiful, well furnished with everything I could want, extremely clean, with breathtaking views of the ocean,and pool. Food and drinks at the pool bar are reasonably priced and excellent quality! Doris the bartender is fantastic! always happy, full of useful info, great at making quality drinks, and a sweet personable lady! The pool was crystal clear, clean, and well maintained. Pro divers academy dive shop at White Sands Cove is professional, laid back, and personal. All the dives I went on had 1 to 3 divers w a dive master at all times, GREAT EXPERIENCE! I loved the new palapa on the dock, nice spot to get in the dive boat, water taxi, or go for a swim. Bikes are available to cruise the beach, lots of fun. Great location to explore bars and restaurants in either direction. Ben, Marlin, Nikki, and Doris were always available to assist , recommend , or provide anything I may have needed. I LOVE THIS PLACE! What ever the occasion THIS IS THE PLACE! Take friends ,family, or just solo and you will never forget this MAGICAL, RARE HIDDEN GEM. I recommend White Sands Cove to all, I can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed there with my buddy for five days. Best time. My buddy is a big time diver and the staff at White Cove Sands set him everyday on different dive trips. They set a tee time up for me at Caye Chapel.
The staff is very hospitable. I enjoyed my room also. Had my own kitchen. I didn't cook anything because I ate at the bar at White Cove Sands. Great food. Janis, the bartender made great drinks and server me some fantastic meals.
The nightlife was so much fun. You walk out to the ocean and you go either left or right and run into great bars and restaurants.
The pool at White Cove Sands is set perfectly. You can look out into the ocean and enjoy the sun.
I recommend you book a week at White Cove Sands. You won't regret it. I'm going back in November. Counting the days!!!:)

• Stayed February 2013
Grand Marais
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The resort itself was quite lovely. We had a unit right on the beach and really enjoyed sitting on the deck. If the deck was a little bit larger then it would have been even better. The unit was spacious and clean and had everything we needed. The grounds were immaculate and two dogs, Chico and Chica, were the highlight of the trip.

We knew there wasn't a beach so that wasn't a big deal. We also knew it was a ways from town and that didn't bother us. We took the bikes into town, walked into town and really enjoyed the location and the bikes.

Happy Hour Tours located at the resort took us snorkeling a couple of times. He was fantastic! The snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Alley were well worth the trip.

The customer service was strange. New managers were there and they didn't seem too confident or knowledgeable. It also appeared there was friction between them and Doris the bartender. Doris was friendly once you got to know her but I can see how she may not appear friendly at first.

There were crazy condo owners staying while we were there and for about 5 days in a row there was major drama. A couple was fighting, screaming, slamming doors, swearing and acting completely inappropriately. The parents of the male half of the couple were there and the son of the couple(probably 3 years old). They were locking each other out of the room, keeping the boy from his mom and threatening each other. I felt like we should call the police numerous times, child protection services at other times and really considered leaving. The managers had no clue what to do so they did nothing.

Had it not been for the crazy condo owners and inexperienced managers it would have been a great place to stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I traveled by myself to Belize during Christmas in 2012. I chose White Sands because it was well-reviewed and not as expensive as some resorts, and I was very happy with my choice. The pool area and my condo were clean and neat (they look just like the pictures) and the condo was even quite pretty. I chose the garden room for the price and I was perfectly happy with it. The dogs barked a little one night, and the other reviewers are right about the beach, but there are plenty of ways to swim and snorkle. I really liked jogging on the beach path that runs in front of all the resorts -- it's a great way to check out the nearby restaurants and the other resorts. Doris at the bar was always helpful, as was Marlon. The dive shop folks were very accommodating, and got me set up with some other groups of people heading out. I recommend the Palapas bar -- beautiful views and lots of fun, all within walking distance of the resort.

Room Tip: Save money with the garden rooms; they are quiet and although they lack the ocean views, I didn'...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights on the last part of our vacation in Belize. We enjoyed our stay at WSC and would love to go back. The rooms were clean and the staff were very attentive to our needs. The pool was clean and the grounds were well kept. The resort has bikes on site that are free for guests. We took the bikes to town for the day and it was a quick ride along the beach path. They also have kayaks for guests to take out for snorkeling at the reef. The tour guides that the WSC recommends/sets you up with are also Fantastic! Doris, who runs the pool restaurant is awesome! She was always going out of her way to make sure we were enjoying our stay. Chico and Chica were the cutest/friendliest dogs. We miss them! I highly recommend planning a vacation in San Pedro and staying at the White Sands Cove. We will definitely be back soon! Thank you!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spend a wonderful week at the White Sands Cove Resort. Ambergris Caye is a very long island. San Pedro, the town, is about two miles south of the resort. The resort is situated on a long quiet strip of each, dotted with other resorts, some small, some larger, and restaurants. There's a sandy path along the water on which one can walk or bike up and down the beach, visit restaurants, etc. The location is very good--quiet, peaceful, but accessible to places to go. One can take a water taxi (10 min) into town; we did this once. White Sands has a very good dive center, with dive and snorkel opportunities every day. We are snorkelers, and went out four times during the week with Bernabe, an energetic young dive instructor who was eager to show us everything beautiful underwater. Two of our trips we were joined by two other snorkelers, and twice Bernie took just the two of us out. I heard that there is another White sands dive shop that used to be affiliated with this one; this dive shop is just excellent. Don't mix them up.

The resort itself is very pretty, the units are nicely furnished and decorated. The accommodations are in a group of round, two-story buildings that surround a central swimming pool. At one end of the pool is a bar that serves lunch and dinner hosted by a lovely woman named Doris who becomes friends with all the guests. At the other end of the pool are a couple of thatched cabanas (roof no walls) with hammocks in them. There are chairs around the pool and down near the beach. The setup is so pretty, I hardly wanted to move from the resort. Also, the way the resort is laid out facilitates conversations among the guests--everyone talks to each other. Also, there are a couple of small dogs, Chico and Chica, who adopt all the guests who will pay attention to them.

The menu at the bar is good but not extensive; we ate there a few times but visited many other restaurants in town and up and down the beach. Several other restaurants are no more than a five minute walk away.

The only negative (if there is one) is that the swimming pool water was a bit chilly when we were there (early March). We also swam in the larger pools of a couple of nearby resorts. We would have lunch and swim--no one minded.

Room Tip: The second floor beach front units have wonderful views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to White Sands Cove Resort? Share your experiences!