“Home away from home, in paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Reef Villas Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
You added Pelican Reef Villas Resort to your Saves list
2.5 Miles South, Mosquito Coast Rd, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Offers & Announcements
40% OFF all room rates!
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Connecticut
“Home away from home, in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

This was our second trip to Pelican Reef, and our 4th to Belize. The reasons we returned to Pelican Reef for a second year in a row were: (1) Great condo accommodations, convenient and safe (2) warm and friendly owners (3) helpful staff (4) great location, not too close to town and not too far.

As a mom traveling with a teenage boy, safety is very important to me. I feel very secure at PRV - you get to know the small staff quickly, so you know who belongs there. They recognize you and know where you are staying. The two bedroom condos have all the amenities I can think of: full kitchen, 2 full baths, in suite washer/dryer, 2 televisions (we don't always agree on tv shows). The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean.

The food is ok but not spectacular, but breakfast is included so it is hard to complain.

We fished with Ramon twice on this trip (and once last year), and had great success and fun. Too lazy to kayak this year, but enjoyed it last year.

PRV will arrange your flight from the mainland and pickup at the airport. Very easy!

I have no hesitation recommending Pelican Reef. It is a great place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

All in all, Pelican Reef Villas were good. The atmosphere, however was lacking. The streets litterally rolled up at 8:30 or 9 p.m. There was nothing going on. The bar closed at 8 p.m. The staff was friendly, Omar was delightful, and Cesar knew everything and did everything. Santos was entertaining and the beach was immaculate every day! Kanisha was new and some of her comments were unprofessional. While on vacation, I am not looking for a staffer to comment on how much wine I may or may not drink and "don't you get a headache"....or, "are you going to start drinking so soon?" The owners who I was told live on the property, were very sparse in their appearance to the guests. I was never introduced to them during the stay. My husband and I vacation in the carribean every year and owners, management, find a way to talk with us about our stay and introduce themselves to us. The BIG man (father of the owners) did present himself once at the bar. When we travel, it is usually at an all inclusive, this resort (villa) was not. I felt nickled and dimed always. Never once were we "given" a drink. Breakfast was included and the food was amazing, but nothing else. The villa itself was comfy...though the bed was rock hard...I woke every morning with a sore back. We were there with 2 other couples and over valentine's day. We had the most amazing dinner in our villa cooked by two local women who have their own catering business, Cesar hooked us up and it was well worth the $45/person American money for our absolutely wonderful gormet meal of lobster tail, pork, zucchini, baked potato, and homemake coconut cream pie!!!! Over all it was good, but it could have been better, I will not go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Pelican_Reef, Owner at Pelican Reef Villas Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
At Pelican Reef Villas, we strive to create a very comfortable atmosphere and a personalized experience for our guests, so this reviewer’s comments are both very appreciated and, at the same time, concerning.

During the first three months of 2011, we had some staff turnover while restructuring the positions and responsibilities of our employees. The employee singled out in the review for her comments is no longer working at Pelican Reef. While Lori and I always try to take at least a few minutes with each guest during their stay, we occasionally miss that opportunity due handling all of the back-office responsibilities or making business or personal trips to the mainland or back to the US. Part of the restructuring is aimed at getting us out of the office so we can be more accessible and visible to our guests and employees. We are also extending the bar hours to at least 9 PM, with the actual closing time each evening being determined by the guests.

Pelican Reef Villas is not, nor do we market ourselves to appear to be, an all-inclusive resort. Contrary to what the reviewer stated, we give a complimentary rum punch, Belikin, or non-alcoholic beverage to every guest upon his or her arrival at the resort. The following is also included in the room rate:

• Breakfast every morning (one item from our breakfast menu and one non-alcoholic drink)
• “Welcome to PRV” gift basket
• Use of the resort’s bikes and kayaks
• Wi-fi access around the pool and bar areas (complimentary in-room internet coming soon!)
• Daily housekeeping
• Ecofresh bath products--soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion.

As part of their stay at PRV, guests can expect to pay for the following: **

• Plane ride between the mainland and Ambergris Caye
• The taxi ride from the island airstrip to Pelican Reef when you arrive and back again at the end of your stay ($12.50 USD per van each way)
• Lunch items and drinks from our Pelican Roost Bar and Grill
• All activities (tours, fishing trips, spa services, etc.) while here
• Phone credit sent to phone in unit during stay.

**All of the above is charged to your room and included in an invoice that is presented and due at check-out…in an effort to make it as pain-free and stress-free as possible. Looking at the reviewer’s check-out invoice, it consisted of massages, local and Blue Hole dives, flights, taxi, food, and drinks.

And lastly, every bed at the resort has a queen- or king-sized Perfection pillow-top mattress.

We hope that we are given the opportunity to have you stay with us on your next trip down to Ambergris Caye!

Warm Regards,
Greg Drake
Owner
Pelican Reef Villas
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at Pelican Reef Villas. This hotel does not disappoint. The hotel is very well maintained, beautifully furnished, and immaculate. The rooms have washers/dryers, which come in handy for long stays. The staff (including Kinesha, Omar and Cesar) was extremely friendly and and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. They helped us book the activities during our stay, including a day long boat trip for fishing/snorkeling and spa services. We had a slight issue with a last minute cancellation from the person who was supposed to take us on our boat trip (Oliver), but Cesar handled it for us and found another guide who turned out to be excellent (Island Divers Belize - Nef and Martin). The hotel is located in a quiet area that is about 15-20 minutes (via golf cart) from San Pedro, where most of the restaurant and night life activity occurs. While there are other hotels that are closer to town, we found the quiet location to be perfect for what we were looking for and enjoyed the nightly golf cart rides into town for dinner. The food at the hotel was excellent (breakfast and lunch only). The service was a little slow at times, particularly when we first arrived and the hotel occupancy was lower. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed during this time, so it would occassionally take a little longer to get your breakfast or lunch orders. We were never really in a hurry and everyone was so friendly that we didn't mind. My other complaint is not specific to the hotel and has to do with the sand flies. I got pretty bit up during our stay, so I highly recommend bug spray with deet (though it is not full proof or at least it wasn't for me). The flies didn't really bother my husband or others we spoke to, but from what I understand some are more allergic to the bites than others, so beware. I would not let this be a deterrent in any way because we absolutely loved Belize, the amazing snorkeling and diving on the reef, and this hotel and staff, but it is just something to be aware of and something you should prepare for. On a side note, I highly recommend snorkeling with Lil Alphonse. The hotel works with Serious Adventures for snorkeling and I did read some good things about them, but we booked directly with Lil Alphonse because we had heard so many great things about him. He did not disappoint.

Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

Absolutely fabulous! Top-notch, well-furnished condo; beautiful horizon pool looking out to the Caribbean; delicious breakfasts and lunches; BEST OF ALL: the staff! Cesar, Omar and Kinesha are simply brilliant! It was my birthday and they arranged for a beautiful flower arrangement and a cake! We were able to bring our little Yorkie, too, and they loved her like family. Cesar's dinner and expedition recommendations were always wonderful. Really, truly, the best Caribbean vacation I have ever had -- hope to go back many many times!

Ruskin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We were lucky to spend 5 nights at Pelican Reef over the New Year’s holiday. Our wonderful experience began months before our arrival with email conversations with Lori, the property manager. Any question or concerns we emailed to her were answered within an hour. They take care of booking anything and everything you need – we were able to book our Tropic Air flights, golf cart and excursion with a quick and easy email to PRV.
Buy your liquor at the duty free store at the International airport (cheap and also allows you to go through the short line at customs!) Upon our arrival, Carlos greeted us with a smile and helpful hand with our luggage. During our ride to PRV he gave a quick tour of the island and hotspots. When we arrived to PRV we were greeted by Elizar who, once again, helped us with our bags and Omar quickly offered us a welcome drink. The property is immaculate and the beaches are raked multiple times a day. Our 2 bedroom condo was perfect as we were 2 couples. The pictures from PRV’s website don’t lie – the condos are THAT nice! We thought we would utilize that kitchen more but after visiting the local grocery store and seeing the prices we quickly learned that eating out was the best option for us (and we didn’t mind). However, fresh fruits & veggies are for sale on the side of the road for a good deal. Every morning we ate breakfast at PRV, sometimes down by the pool and some days we requested it brought to our room. The meals were AMAZING! I recommend the Huevos a la Beliziana. We also ate many of our lunches on the property – I ate the fish tacos everyday (and I’m still missing them). Downside – they do not offer dinner on the property. If they did, we probably would have never left the property. For casual dining options, we recommend Caliente and Hurricane Ceviche. If you are looking for something really close, the chicken bbq at Mr. Joe’s is excellent. We spent our days lying on the beach along with having fun off the pier. The pier allowed us to swim, snorkel and act like little kids and jump off the pier holding hands! The water is clear and shallow enough in some spots that I was able to stand. Our 1st day we learned that the snorkel gear is often borrowed and not returned right away or borrowed when people go on excursions for the day. Omar was an amazing bartender. His daily drink specials were so delicious. I recommend the Dirty Banana or, if you are lucky enough, try his Watermelon Mojito! He remembered our names, our favorite drinks and also that I was allergic to mango so he would make my drinks all minus mango- Thanks Omar! A few days we ventured into town. Honestly, the further you go into town the less pretty it gets which is why we spent most of our time at the resort. We booked an excursion on our last day with Oliver Tours – this was the best way to end our amazing trip! Oliver picked the 4 of us up at the pier. We then headed out to go fishing for our lunch, after fishing we went snorkeling near the reef (no one was around), after snorkeling we were taken to a private island. Now I’ve been to “private islands” on excursions when we’ve cruised and let me tell you, those are nothing compared to Oliver’s private island. We pulled up to an island that was no bigger than 2 acres. There are only 4 building on this island – bedroom, kitchen, outhouse and another building. It was simply amazing, relaxing, beautiful and stunning. While we relaxed, Oliver and his crew prepared our lunch of snapper, lobster, beans & rice. After lunch and more relaxing we took a quick stroll on Caye Caulker (I prefer San Pedro over Caye Caulker). From there we went to Shark Ray alley and swam with sharks. When we pulled up Oliver said “jump in” we looked down and saw about 10 sharks below us and asked Oliver “down there?” He looked down and said “never mind, jump off the front of the boat – you don’t want to upset them” haha! What an experience! Our final stop was a snorkel trip at Hol Chan marine reserve. While it was a beautiful underwater world, it was pretty busy and I prefer the road less traveled. We had a wonderful day with Oliver and his crew and I highly recommend this tour. Leaving PRV was so depressing. We didn’t want to leave and will most certainly return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We've traveled a lot and wondered if all the reviews about Pelican Reef Villa's being so good were true and guess what?...THEY WERE TRUE!
Located on the beach south of town by a 5 minute golf cart ride the location is quiet, surrounded by beauty and luxurious. From the moment we arrived you could tell these folks new what they were doing and that they did it well and with good cheer. Lori obviously knows a thing or two about hiring good people and making sure guest needs are provided for in every way possible. Excellent service was provided by Cesar and Kanesha. I didn't use the bar much but when I did the bartender was like housekeeping and other staff in that they were very friendly, attentive and good at their job. Breakfast and lunches were good and you can even drink the water from the tap right in your fridge door. No worries about getting sick from food or water in San Pedro which was a huge relief. Use the voluminous restaurant review book PRV maintains and use common sense before actually sitting down in the restaurant. If it's empty at dinner or lunch time maybe there is a reason. The best place we ate at we didn't 'discover' until our last night....it is called "Elvi's Kitchen". If we knew about it earlier we would have gone back. Warugama's is a low cost alternative that serves really good food. All staff in these places were super nice/friendly.... like most people on San Pedro!
PRV's location is one of the southern most on Ambergris Caye which means you are picked-up last and dropped off first from many excursions. Hol-Chan is fairly close and you can see the snorkel/dive boats way off in the distance. PRV will arrange everything for you in terms of excursions or you can easily do it yourself and chose from a wide variety of vendors. We really like the company they were booking through when we were there (Searious Adventures) and used them three times (twice to Hol Chan and once to Lamani). The Searious Adventure staff were friendly, knowledgeable and knew what they were doing.

Pelican Reef Villa's is a real find and we would highly recommend it it anyone!
Can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights at PRV........My stay pretty much echo's what every other review states. A great location.......although a bit far from San Pedro, it is actually a GOOD THING. You can still enjoy the highlights of the city, but escape to your own little resort.

We rented a Golf Cart for our stay, and In retrospect, I may not have rented.....although we got good use out of it, it would have probably been cheaper (although not as convenient or fun) to just take taxi's into town when we wanted to venture that way). I say this because most tour companies will pick you up from the dock at PRV to begin your tours.

I don't remember his name, but the Bartender makes a MEAN bloody mary for breakfast.....pricey at $10 US, but yum!

Stay here. You won't be disappointed.....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pelican Reef Villas Resort? Share your experiences!