“Fabulous hotel with great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Reef Villas Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
You added Pelican Reef Villas Resort to your Saves list
Beach Front, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous hotel with great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at Pelican Reef Villas. This hotel does not disappoint. The hotel is very well maintained, beautifully furnished, and immaculate. The rooms have washers/dryers, which come in handy for long stays. The staff (including Kinesha, Omar and Cesar) was extremely friendly and and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. They helped us book the activities during our stay, including a day long boat trip for fishing/snorkeling and spa services. We had a slight issue with a last minute cancellation from the person who was supposed to take us on our boat trip (Oliver), but Cesar handled it for us and found another guide who turned out to be excellent (Island Divers Belize - Nef and Martin). The hotel is located in a quiet area that is about 15-20 minutes (via golf cart) from San Pedro, where most of the restaurant and night life activity occurs. While there are other hotels that are closer to town, we found the quiet location to be perfect for what we were looking for and enjoyed the nightly golf cart rides into town for dinner. The food at the hotel was excellent (breakfast and lunch only). The service was a little slow at times, particularly when we first arrived and the hotel occupancy was lower. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed during this time, so it would occassionally take a little longer to get your breakfast or lunch orders. We were never really in a hurry and everyone was so friendly that we didn't mind. My other complaint is not specific to the hotel and has to do with the sand flies. I got pretty bit up during our stay, so I highly recommend bug spray with deet (though it is not full proof or at least it wasn't for me). The flies didn't really bother my husband or others we spoke to, but from what I understand some are more allergic to the bites than others, so beware. I would not let this be a deterrent in any way because we absolutely loved Belize, the amazing snorkeling and diving on the reef, and this hotel and staff, but it is just something to be aware of and something you should prepare for. On a side note, I highly recommend snorkeling with Lil Alphonse. The hotel works with Serious Adventures for snorkeling and I did read some good things about them, but we booked directly with Lil Alphonse because we had heard so many great things about him. He did not disappoint.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

Absolutely fabulous! Top-notch, well-furnished condo; beautiful horizon pool looking out to the Caribbean; delicious breakfasts and lunches; BEST OF ALL: the staff! Cesar, Omar and Kinesha are simply brilliant! It was my birthday and they arranged for a beautiful flower arrangement and a cake! We were able to bring our little Yorkie, too, and they loved her like family. Cesar's dinner and expedition recommendations were always wonderful. Really, truly, the best Caribbean vacation I have ever had -- hope to go back many many times!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ruskin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We were lucky to spend 5 nights at Pelican Reef over the New Year’s holiday. Our wonderful experience began months before our arrival with email conversations with Lori, the property manager. Any question or concerns we emailed to her were answered within an hour. They take care of booking anything and everything you need – we were able to book our Tropic Air flights, golf cart and excursion with a quick and easy email to PRV.
Buy your liquor at the duty free store at the International airport (cheap and also allows you to go through the short line at customs!) Upon our arrival, Carlos greeted us with a smile and helpful hand with our luggage. During our ride to PRV he gave a quick tour of the island and hotspots. When we arrived to PRV we were greeted by Elizar who, once again, helped us with our bags and Omar quickly offered us a welcome drink. The property is immaculate and the beaches are raked multiple times a day. Our 2 bedroom condo was perfect as we were 2 couples. The pictures from PRV’s website don’t lie – the condos are THAT nice! We thought we would utilize that kitchen more but after visiting the local grocery store and seeing the prices we quickly learned that eating out was the best option for us (and we didn’t mind). However, fresh fruits & veggies are for sale on the side of the road for a good deal. Every morning we ate breakfast at PRV, sometimes down by the pool and some days we requested it brought to our room. The meals were AMAZING! I recommend the Huevos a la Beliziana. We also ate many of our lunches on the property – I ate the fish tacos everyday (and I’m still missing them). Downside – they do not offer dinner on the property. If they did, we probably would have never left the property. For casual dining options, we recommend Caliente and Hurricane Ceviche. If you are looking for something really close, the chicken bbq at Mr. Joe’s is excellent. We spent our days lying on the beach along with having fun off the pier. The pier allowed us to swim, snorkel and act like little kids and jump off the pier holding hands! The water is clear and shallow enough in some spots that I was able to stand. Our 1st day we learned that the snorkel gear is often borrowed and not returned right away or borrowed when people go on excursions for the day. Omar was an amazing bartender. His daily drink specials were so delicious. I recommend the Dirty Banana or, if you are lucky enough, try his Watermelon Mojito! He remembered our names, our favorite drinks and also that I was allergic to mango so he would make my drinks all minus mango- Thanks Omar! A few days we ventured into town. Honestly, the further you go into town the less pretty it gets which is why we spent most of our time at the resort. We booked an excursion on our last day with Oliver Tours – this was the best way to end our amazing trip! Oliver picked the 4 of us up at the pier. We then headed out to go fishing for our lunch, after fishing we went snorkeling near the reef (no one was around), after snorkeling we were taken to a private island. Now I’ve been to “private islands” on excursions when we’ve cruised and let me tell you, those are nothing compared to Oliver’s private island. We pulled up to an island that was no bigger than 2 acres. There are only 4 building on this island – bedroom, kitchen, outhouse and another building. It was simply amazing, relaxing, beautiful and stunning. While we relaxed, Oliver and his crew prepared our lunch of snapper, lobster, beans & rice. After lunch and more relaxing we took a quick stroll on Caye Caulker (I prefer San Pedro over Caye Caulker). From there we went to Shark Ray alley and swam with sharks. When we pulled up Oliver said “jump in” we looked down and saw about 10 sharks below us and asked Oliver “down there?” He looked down and said “never mind, jump off the front of the boat – you don’t want to upset them” haha! What an experience! Our final stop was a snorkel trip at Hol Chan marine reserve. While it was a beautiful underwater world, it was pretty busy and I prefer the road less traveled. We had a wonderful day with Oliver and his crew and I highly recommend this tour. Leaving PRV was so depressing. We didn’t want to leave and will most certainly return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We've traveled a lot and wondered if all the reviews about Pelican Reef Villa's being so good were true and guess what?...THEY WERE TRUE!
Located on the beach south of town by a 5 minute golf cart ride the location is quiet, surrounded by beauty and luxurious. From the moment we arrived you could tell these folks new what they were doing and that they did it well and with good cheer. Lori obviously knows a thing or two about hiring good people and making sure guest needs are provided for in every way possible. Excellent service was provided by Cesar and Kanesha. I didn't use the bar much but when I did the bartender was like housekeeping and other staff in that they were very friendly, attentive and good at their job. Breakfast and lunches were good and you can even drink the water from the tap right in your fridge door. No worries about getting sick from food or water in San Pedro which was a huge relief. Use the voluminous restaurant review book PRV maintains and use common sense before actually sitting down in the restaurant. If it's empty at dinner or lunch time maybe there is a reason. The best place we ate at we didn't 'discover' until our last night....it is called "Elvi's Kitchen". If we knew about it earlier we would have gone back. Warugama's is a low cost alternative that serves really good food. All staff in these places were super nice/friendly.... like most people on San Pedro!
PRV's location is one of the southern most on Ambergris Caye which means you are picked-up last and dropped off first from many excursions. Hol-Chan is fairly close and you can see the snorkel/dive boats way off in the distance. PRV will arrange everything for you in terms of excursions or you can easily do it yourself and chose from a wide variety of vendors. We really like the company they were booking through when we were there (Searious Adventures) and used them three times (twice to Hol Chan and once to Lamani). The Searious Adventure staff were friendly, knowledgeable and knew what they were doing.

Pelican Reef Villa's is a real find and we would highly recommend it it anyone!
Can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights at PRV........My stay pretty much echo's what every other review states. A great location.......although a bit far from San Pedro, it is actually a GOOD THING. You can still enjoy the highlights of the city, but escape to your own little resort.

We rented a Golf Cart for our stay, and In retrospect, I may not have rented.....although we got good use out of it, it would have probably been cheaper (although not as convenient or fun) to just take taxi's into town when we wanted to venture that way). I say this because most tour companies will pick you up from the dock at PRV to begin your tours.

I don't remember his name, but the Bartender makes a MEAN bloody mary for breakfast.....pricey at $10 US, but yum!

Stay here. You won't be disappointed.....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

A lot of what I would say about Pelican Reef has been covered in other reviews, so I won't repeat them other than to affirm that this is a very attractive place with wonderful friendly service. We reserved a two-bedroom condo, but got a free upgrade to a 3-bedroom. The entry to our very pretty condo was on the third floor, and it was two stories with living, dining, kitchen, two bedrooms and two full baths on the main floor and a huge master on the upper floor. Although the condo was at the back of the property, the ocean was visible from the master bedroom windows. The master bath was open to the master bedroom, and included a very large double jacuzzi tub, a giant walk-in shower, and nice big counter with double sinks, all in granite. My husband & I were there with our college-age daughter and her best friend. We had all the room we could want and plenty of privacy. The two downstairs bedrooms each had their own balcony. The larger front bedroom had an in-suite bath with a jacuzzi tub. The other bathroom had a shower. There is also a washer & dryer. All the restrooms and the kitchen were in granite - very nice.

There are a number of lovely properties on Ambergris Caye, and if you're like me, you may have trouble choosing among them. Here's a few comments that may help:

1. Location. We liked the fact that PRV was a bit out of town. We stopped by the Phoenix and while it is a beautiful place right in town and has its own onsite restaurant, there was quite a lot of noisy boat traffic in front of it. PRV has a quieter, more peaceful feel. We enjoyed relaxing on the beach, and watching the pelicans and cormorants dive for fish, and the frigate birds sail overhead. At night we walked to the end of the dock, away from all the lights and enjoyed the brilliant stars in a dark sky.

2. Commute to restaurants. It was a 10 to 20 minute trip on the golf cart to get to restaurants. We didn't really mind it ourselves (it was kind of fun), but some may prefer to be within walking distance, particularly if you want to be closer to nightlife. If we were there longer, we probably would have bought more groceries rather than go to town for dinner every night.

3. Pool & grounds. The pool is shaded by palm trees, and while it does get some sun, it was a little too cool to swim in during our January visit. However, the shade is probably a plus in the summertime, as it would keep the pool from getting too hot. The beachfront was raked every morning. We were there at a peak period after Christmas, but never had a problem getting a beach chair. There are sunny spots for the sun worshippers and shady spots for the folks who burn easily.

4. The dock. My main purpose in coming to AC was to snorkel, so it was a big bonus for me that you can snorkel at the end of the dock at PRV. The water is about three feet deep. I went in 5 or 6 times, and saw yellow stingrays, barracuda, a spider shrimp, a big French angelfish, and schools of hundreds of snapper, among other things. I loved being able to pop in the water anytime I wanted. I recommend a covered palapa at the end of the dock like at PRV. That way you can sit in the shade while waiting for your boat to arrive, or just hanging out. At night we walked out and saw 3 to 4-foot-long tarpons flashing silver under the dock's light.

5. Minor nitpicks. As others have mentioned, some salt and pepper in the kitchen would have been nice. Actually, only 1 or 2 of the restaurants we went to had salt & pepper on the table, so maybe it's an AC thing. We used hot sauce instead. The water pressure in the showers was kind of anemic, so we made more use of the huge jacuzzi tub. And we could have used a chair or two on the balcony. No big deal - I can't say we suffered!

All in all, PRV is a great place with friendly, helpful people. I wish I were going back next weekend!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon and we loved it. The staff is very friendly and down to earth. The rooms were very clean and had a lot of space. We always felt very secure at night because of the security guards walking around. You should definitely get a golf cart so you can get back to town. It would get old trying to walk or ride a bike every time. We also felt comfortable driving at night eventhough there is a lot of empty space between the resort and the town. The pool was very cold when we went but the ocean was awesome. The food from the kitchen was great too and it is so nice to eat on the beach. Keep in mind that there will probably be a 1000 flies on your food when they bring it out. We just waved them away but that got tiring. The beach was beautiful and everything was very clean. I would stay there again if we went back to Belize. I would consider not getting a prepaid meal pass. You can save some money and explore the restaurants on the island if you just eat out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Reef Villas Resort? Share your experiences!