“Beautiful place, outdone only by the great staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Reef Villas Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Beach Front, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Special Offer
SUMMER PACAKGE $1999
Ranked #3 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Belton, Texas
“Beautiful place, outdone only by the great staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Just returned from Pelican Reef Resort where the spouse and I , along with another couple, enjoyed a most pleasant week away from the crowds. Ambergris Caye is in another time - a time before fast food and other ubiquitous franchises seen with increasing frequency around the world. Very refreshing. The locals are happy and gracious, especially the staff at the resort. Nearly everyone on the island gets around on golf carts. The resort is 2.5 miles from "downtown", but with the cart, it was easy to get around. You even pass the occasional crocodile along the way. The resort is clean, quiet, comfortable with a great beach kept spotless by the staff. It's small size allows for the guests to get to know the surroundings very easily. Lori and Greg are very accommodating and helpful, both before the trip and during our stay. Eliazar (E) is the concierge and expert in all things Belizean. His recommendations were never wrong. Dion mixes some delicious adult beverages and dished out some outstanding bartender banter. E is the go-to guy for all excursions and we had some great dive trips thanks to him. One such trip with Oliver and Alex found us snorkeling with a manatee, spearing some fish and lobster for lunch on a sandy private beach, and generally having a fantastic day on the water. E hooked us up with Amigos del Mar divers for some wonderful dive trips. The sea behind that reef there has abundant sea life - more in one place than I have ever seen before. Eagle rays, sting rays, reef sharks, nurse sharks, morays, giant grouper, giant crabs and lobster, the biggest puffer fish I have ever see, tarpon, barracuda and more small fish than one could ever imagine. Get to this place as soon as you can.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We spent a week at Pelican Reef and were very impressed. The grounds are beautiful, the villas immaculate, but the staff - they're beyond words. I've traveled to all sorts of places and never come in contact with such wonderful staff. E and Deon seem to read your mind and take every effort to make sure you're nothing less than extraordinarily happy during your stay.

They are able to take care of nearly everything from golf cart rentals, tours, and transportation to and from the main land too, so the whole stay is very stress-free.

The resort is a bit far from town, but it is located in a very nice section of the island (the town is a bit overwhelming). Nice and private, but always close enough to pop into town whenever you need.

Be prepared to not pick up a good internet signal though!

Bottom Line: If you go to Ambergris, don't stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
CA and Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Amazing property, beautiful white sandy beach and ocean views and top level service kept "wowing" me for our stay. Our two bedroom condo was decked out with tasteful decor and every ammenity I could ever want: dishwasher, washer dryer, refridgerator, full kitchen, large eating area, three flat screen TVs, stone floors, granite counters, balcony views, AC that works! and most important, comfortable beds! Mr. E and Dion delivered top level service in advice, arranging excursions, check in and master of frozen drinks for adults and kids! Perfect pool/beach side menu of foods for lunch and breakfast kept us happy as well as the infinity pool overlooking the ocean with swim up bar and snorkeling at off the pier. In looking at other hotels, we were unable to find an affordable place where our kids, had their own room, space and TV. Lori, Manager at Pelican Reef and a great hostess, was able to accomodate our needs. We noticed other travelers "stopping by" to get internet, enjoy the pool/views/food and drinks. We loved the daily maid service, too! I highly recommend Pelican Reef!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. from Greg and E checking us in, to Dion at the bar making sure we always had a cold drink in our hands. E made sure we were taken care of as far as whatever activities we liked to do and also provided great suggestions as far as local hangouts and restaurants. Dion was the epitome of laid back island hospitality, always with a smile and a joke. When my son wanted to drink fresh coconut juice, they went off, picked a coconut and chopped it open for him. This is just one example of the ways they go out of their way to make you feel at home.
The rooms were very clean, spacious and updated. Our Unit (#9) had granite throughout with an oversized whirlpool tub. The view on our unit was the only complaint, because it was ocean view, but large palms blocked any view we may have. This place still gets 5 stars from me and the whole family though. We will definitely plan on staying there again in the near future, if only to hang out with all the guys again. Thanks Pelican Reef for making our trip amazing!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Our stay at the Pelican Reef Villa’s was the best vacation we’ve ever had. Our group included my wife and another couple we are close friends with. Our age range is 29 to 34.

Resort was better than advertised. They have a wonderful website, but pictures cannot do justice to just how pristine this resort really is. They outside of the resort is small enough that everything is close and comfortable while the inside of the resort feels very large and roomy. The pool and bar are conveniently located in the center of the grounds. Everything you need can be easily obtained at the bar or the manned info stand next to the bar. You never have to “look” for hotel staff as they are always available. The staff consistently went above and beyond to check on us. They scheduled activities at a moment’s notice, made sure we had plenty of food and drinks, and told us lots of great stories. Elliasor “E” and Deon are very articulate and hospitable. Shelly made me the best hamburger I’ve ever had (I didn’t expect that). Lori and Greg were incredibly professional, kind, and helpful. The entire group as a whole made us feel very, very, pampered and taken care of.

The room was incredible. Again, they looked exactly like the website. Tile floors, walk in granite showers, granite counters, and stainless steel appliances. They had a washer and dryer so we brought half as much stuff than we normally would. We had a TV in every room with every channel to choose from. They also had DVD players as well. We had 2 bedrooms, a living room, dining room, and a full kitchen. Very comfortable and cozy.

The atmosphere was relaxing. The people of the island were all so nice and helpful. They have a great sense of humor and really made all of our experiences enjoyable. I didn’t feel like a tourist on this trip, but instead more as a guest. We especially enjoyed how much effort the locals put into allowing us to be part of their culture for a week. It was a really special experience for us all as we felt like we belonged there, not like an outsider at all. Amazingly, I can say the same for the other guests at the resort. We ended up developing great relationships with everyone staying at the resort. The layout and atmosphere of the resort really promoted a very comfortable environment. It was a great mix of families and couples. We really got to know everyone and their kids very well.

Overall Experience is the BEST on the Island. We covered the island front and back over the course of the week on a golf cart. I can honestly say that this resort was my favorite and I wouldn’t want to stay anywhere else on the island. The people at the resort are what really makes the experience. They are very available and their fun attitude is very contagious!!! Our experience’s and memories at Pelican Reef Villa’s will be tough to top in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

This was a surprise trip for my wife's 40th. She normally handles all of our trip planning, so picking a spot was difficult for me... until I talked to Greg and Lori, the managers of Pelican Reef. I had created a spreadsheet (I know, nerdy) comparing and contrasting six different properties on Ambergris Caye. But after a conversation with G&L, I knew this was the place for us. I won't go into all the things Greg and Lori did to make this such a special trip for us, but I will give one small example that I think is illustrative:

On the day of my wife's birthday, Lori personally baked a cake for her. She decorated it beautifully and delivered it to the Victoria House, where it was presented to my wife after dinner that night. To be clear, Lori didn't know my wife previously. She just did it because it was honestly important to her that my wife feel celebrated on her birthday. There were myriad small touches like that, and I can't tell you how special it made both of us feel.

About the resort itself:
- I see that this is listed as a specialty resort... I'm not sure why it is listed that way. Other than being an exceptional place to stay, it seemed functionally similar to a typical resort. My understanding is that Greg and Lori's family built the property, sold the units to individuals, and then manage and rent those units on behalf of the owners. It certainly wasn't like a timeshare or anything like that. If there hadn't been a guestbook on the table of our unit, we'd never have known that the unit was privately owned.
-Our unit was #9, and it was gorgeous. The owners clearly have great taste. Mahogany and granite throughout. The palm trees blocked the ocean views a bit, but other than that it was perfect.
-the resort is small and quiet. The pool was great, with a swim-up bar and a friendly bartender (Dion).
- the grounds were immaculate. Seems like someone was always sweeping, raking, or trimming
- excursions generally leave from the pier on-site. so it's about as hassle-free as you could ask for. The boat pulls up, you get on, and off you go.
- Eliazar, the concierge, was busy but courteous. In hindsight, I wish we'd just done everything directly through him. I don't think the prices would have been different, and it sure would have been less stressful.
- we talked to three different groups who took the fishing/snorkeling trip with Oliver. All of them gushed about it, and I wish we'd been able to do that trip.
- I'm really, really glad that this property is located where it is. Far away from town is a good thing, I promise. It was maybe 15 minutes by golf cart into town, and it wasn't a bad drive.
- You will almost certainly rent a golf cart, so plan for that in your trip budgeting.

Where we ate:
- Blue Iguana- overpriced and not very good
- Mr. Joes- 'snack bar' type restaurant right down the road from Pelican Reef. Good fried food. Overpriced groceries.
- Elvi's- great food, good prices in the middle of town. Not a fancy place, but really tasty
- Victoria House- best meal we had on the island... most expensive meal we had on the island (entrees $30ish U.S. each). Wish we'd gotten there earlier in the evening to have a drink and tour the property a bit.
- Blue Water- ate there our last night. It was decent food, pretty expensive.

Other hotels:
Visited all of the hotels that made my spreadsheet short-list. Each visit confirmed that Pelican Reef was the right place for us. If I happened to be a jillionaire, I might have stayed at Victoria House.

- Phoenix- my second-favorite property. Gorgeous pool, property is sort of a fortress from the town of San Pedro. Only downsides are: 1) there is no beach there (literally, nada) and 2) you are right in town. I didn't find San Pedro particularly quaint or charming, so I wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in the middle of it.

- Xanadu- seemed like it was built in the 1970's. Lot's of lush vegetation throughout the property, kind of like you were in the jungle. Pool was anemic, decor was dated.

Overall, we couldn't have asked for a better trip. The Pelican Reef was a great place to stay and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Best,
John (and Jennie)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We stayed at Pelican Reef Villas for 10 days. We weren't sure what to expect once we arrived. We had to change our plans a few times but Lori was fantastic to work with. She was so patient and helpful. We were picked up at the airport and drove about a mile or so to the resort. It's away for the main shops which we loved since it was so quiet and not full of the other tourists. The rooms were remarkable: clean, big and the decor was very welcoming. What ever we needed the entire staff was there to help. We could basically request anything and who ever was working that day was more than willing to make it happen. The pool is a great place to relax and since it's a smaller resort you feel like you have your own space. We ordered breakfast one morning from the resort and it was really good. Bottom line, we would stay there again and recommend this to our friends and family. Lori was also great with setting up our golf car rental which was waiting for us at our condos and easy access. Our view was incredible with very comfy beds. The only thing which would have made this a great place is to have wireless internet in the condos if you wanted to get online you had to go sit outside by the bar. But if you getting away from work and all contact then you have nothing to worry about. :-) Thank you Pelican Reef and staff! M&J

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Reef Villas Resort? Share your experiences!