“Beautiful property, great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Reef Villas Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
You added Pelican Reef Villas Resort to your Saves list
Beach Front, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful property, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

my sister and I stayed here the first part of December to celebrate a birthday. We were looking for something quiet and beautiful, where we could relax and enjoy each others company without distraction. This place was perfect for this. The staff treats you like family from the second you get here. Ruth #2 was our favorite, and we spent a lot of time visiting with her. Adrianna was helpful as well as Carol. There were only a couple of things to mention on the negative side. The FLIES!! It was next to impossible to enjoy breakfast around the pool as the flies were very aggressive. We soon figured out - if you take your breakfast out on the pier- you enjoy a nice ocean breeze, no flies and the occasional spotted ray swimming by underneath . Loverly! The only other complaint was the road to town. It was in such bad shape (due to rains, we were told) that you bumped and bounced the whole way in and back. This could put a negative edge to a nice dinner in town....other than that- I would recommend this hotel. The staff will help you with whatever you need. All in all a real gem.

Room Tip: We were in room 9, which was oceanfront, but the palm trees right outside the window blocked the vie...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

As I mention in several of my reviews on TripAdvisor, I spend a great deal of time researching before staying somewhere. I think where you stay can make a big difference on your experience.

I think the best compliment the Pelican Reef Villas has received actually came from a guy who has lived in San Pedro for 35 years that I spoke to while there. His parents opened the first hotel, The Holiday Hotel, back in the 60s. This guy knows the island up and down and he said, "if I had someone come visit me, I'd tell them to stay at the Pelican Reef. It's the best."

What makes it the best? I don't know all the options on the island but here is what I do know. The accommodations are wonderful. High end kitchen and appliances, spacious villas, and very comfortable. If you can, I suggest getting a beach view but the courtyard is beautiful too. The location is very peaceful and has several good restaurant options nearby. As others have said, the breakfast @ the Pelican Reef is excellent. You can also eat a great lunch there too. I personally enjoyed the shrimp quesadillas the best.

But here's what I think makes this place so special: the people. The owners are very hard workers from Texas who you can tell are passionate about offering a great experience. They have done a wonderful job of hiring an incredible staff. Everyone I spoke with was personable, kind, and very helpful. Glori helped me organize the whole trip. Wait until you get an email from her. Literally everything you would ever need to know she shares. She'll book your flight on Tropic Air (awesome experience), arrange for a taxi when you land, and help with any other questions you have.

Make sure you have someone book a trip to Shark Alley. Yes, it sounds a little insane to swim with sharks but we had 10 year olds on our boat and they LOVED swimming with the sharks. You are completely safe - it's a lifetime memory, I promise.

Book this place. Get to know the owners Greg & CR. Spend time talking to the people who work there. You'll love it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We spent a week a Pelican Reef in August with friends and we had an amazing vacation! Carlos picked us up at the airport and away we went. Karol, Ruthie, Linda, and Terri took such good care of us. Karol hooked us up with great excursions. The snorkeling was fantastic! We went to Hol Chan and the variety of species we saw was incredible. The trip on the cat to Caye Caulker was fun because there were just 6 of us plus the 2 man crew. Lil Alphonse and his crew were great- the night snorkel was really cool. The alligator trip was recommended by Karol and it did not disappointment. Our second floor apartment was very nice. I would highly recommend Pelican Reef Villas. The staff is the best.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view; it was beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Little Silver, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Came back to Pelican Reef for thend second time after a visit in 2010. Property still fantastic. The managers and staff make the place. Besides knowing everyone by name they look out for your every need In a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We look forward to going back again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My mom and I stayed at Pelican Reef for 4 nights at the beginning of December. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were very good and the common property was lovely and clean, although not quite as 'posh' as I thought it looked from the photos on the Internet. There was some minor construction taking place on the property during our visit, which was unfortunate. However, the staff tried to mitigate the noise and would have the workers stop working if there was anyone at the bar. There weren't many people staying at the property while we were there, so they probably chose that time to do some updates to the common areas. We spent most of our outside time lazing at the end of the pier, listening to the water, so we weren't bothered by any construction.

The value for the money was good and the unit that we had was on the beach and had been recently renovated, which was great. The unit was roomy and I think that I was the first one to use the master bedroom, as everything was extremely new. The hotel is a ways from town (about an hours walk down the beach), but we had the taxi driver stop at the grocery store after picking us up at the airport, which was very handy. Make sure to take strong bug spray, as the little buggers are merciless. We were in the jungle for 4 nights prior to visiting Ambergris Caye, and I got a total of 3 bites while in the jungle. I constantly wore OFF lotion while at the beach, which evidently wasn't strong enough, as I was still able to count 50 bites on one leg! All in all, Pelican Reef was a lovely spot!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Traveled here with my girlfriend Jan 2012 but I am just reviewing now because I have been lazy creating an account...

We traveled from Costa Rica to Belize. We stayed at Pelican Reef the entire time we were on San Pedro

Pros / Recommendations
-Staff is great, real nice.
The unit was large on the bottom floor with a small porch about 20 feet off the beach. Great view. Clean with full kitchen, 2 baths, 2 bedrooms, living room. Way more space then we needed.
- Its away from town center (maybe 10 minutes by golf cart) which is nothing for a drive, though the walk would be too long for most unless you like long walks in humid weather. You basically need a cart or taxi to get to anywhere good.
- Kayaks were fun to take out around sunset
- You can snorkel off the dock. Nothing exciting there because its shallow and a lot of grass but there are some fish around. To really snorkel you need to head out to the reef and deeper.
-We had a golf cart for a couple days and it made traveling much more convenient and fun. They are worth renting to drive around the island.
- Booked a private boat charter with Oliver... He took us to where we wanted to go snorkeling but also took us to spots that aren't as frequently traveled by others so it's less crowded. We spearfished and had lunch on a little island owned by his friend and it was just us and them. We cooked up the fish we caught earlier. Spent the day with Oliver and his crew member and it was a good time. Was not cheap but we felt it was worth it.
- We ate at quite a few places, all were good. A few that stand out for dinner were Victoria House, Hidden Treasure, and Wild Mangoes.

Nothing bad to say about the place or the island. Its safe and a good time.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Room Tip: Just ask them which are best. That is what we did.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at Pelican Reef for our honeymoon and every time we've traveled since then we compare all hotel/resort experiences to the amazing service we received at Pelican Reef! From the beautiful rooms to day trips to Hol Chan, we loved every minute in this paradise!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Reef Villas Resort? Share your experiences!