“Incredible place to relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Reef Villas Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
You added Pelican Reef Villas Resort to your Saves list
Beach Front, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Kemah, Texas
“Incredible place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

The condominiums at pelican Reef are meticulously maintained and acceptionally well appointed. The concierge services are incredible and the resort bar is a fabulous place to relax at the end of the day.

• Liked — CLean, friendly, helpful with concierge
  • Disliked — Further from town than some places
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

The Pelican Reef Villas Resort was a very beautiful condo unit, decorated very tastefully with a spectacular view of the water. The staff was very accommodating and treated us like old friends. The owners were so friendly and were always ready to help with any activity suggestion. The resort is a close and pleasant 15 minute trip to San Pedro by golf cart. We had a wonderful week and enjoyed every minute. We hope to go back again someday and will definitely choose the Pelican Reef!
Joyce and Kevin Malatek
Junction, TX

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere and closeness to town
  • Disliked — No bar food and early shut down of bar in the evening
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

We just returned from a 10 night stay at Pelican Reef Villas.
My husband and I were with our two teenage boys. I originally had booked Belize Legacy, but decided we needed easier access to town. We changed our reservation and it was the best decision we could have made.

From the minute we arrived we were made to feel like we were at "Home". We reserved a 3 bedroom villa that was directly in front of the Caribbean Sea. It was magical. At night, you can see the Tarpon and Rays swimming around the dock. Very cool.

What makes Pelican Reeff different? The owners, Joe and Rhonda, their daughter Lori and Greg, and their wonderful staff. Even though there are other guests at the property, you are made to feel like you are the center of attention. Anything you need is instantly the focal point of attention. Obviously, I must mention Eliazar and Ceasar. They were so helpful from planning our day trips to where to eat at night. I wanted to cook a special dinner while we were there and Eliazar told me about The Sausage Factory. The pork and sausage were some of the best we have ever had! The pool and bar is the main place to relax and meet other guests. We were fortunate to have met some really great new friends. Whether we gathered in the morning to have coffee and check email or in the afternoons for a drink, it was always a great time!

We went to Shark Ray Alley twice, a day with Hilly Boo, fishing and and beach barbeque, We went with Oliver to snorkel with the manatees, fishing and another beach lunch, and the boys went back with Hilly Boo deep sea fishing. All of our trips were great and I felt completely comfortable with all of our guides. They picked us up at the Pelican Reef dock and returned us safely every time.Since we had never been to Ambergris Caye before, it was nice ot have piece of mind and not worry about anything....

We always were very pleased with the restaurnat recommendations from Eliazar and Ceasar. We loved Sunset Grill and Blue Water Grill. Carumba and Elvi's were great too! We were always given a great table and treated like royalty. Fido's Sand Bar was great, right on the beach, good food and always good company.

If I can make an impact on anyone considering Pelican Reef, I hope this will help. I always looked forward to getting back to the property. Our villa did feel like home. It was always clean and our towels were washed daily. The staff is amazing, the property itself, paradise! My boys loved to run on the beach and play with India and Buddha, the lovely dogs. I can't forget "Paco", our favorite parrot. The dock and water is like a picture out of a magazine. It was truly magical...

We did rent a golf cart and that was really fun! By the end of our stay, I had restaurant and shop owners waving to me as I rode by...we became familiar in town. Everyone is so nice.

On the day we departed, I was nervous about traveling. When we got to Maya Air, I thought I had left my wallet in the villa. Eliazar tried frantically to find it for me. We had Carlos, the driver, call back to see if they had seen it. I actually did have it with me, I had put it in my laptop case....Eliazar called us at Maya Air to see what was happening. He really cares about his guests. I felt bad to make him scramble like that.

You will experience an unprecedented level of sevice at Pelican Reef Villas. It is our new Home away from Home.
We will return as soon as we can! It was a great vacation.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

Wow!! We just got back from Pelican Reef Villas for a week long vacation. It was a vacation unlike any previous one I have been on. In total there was nine of us on this vacation ranging from early twenties to fifties. The accommodations are top notch along with the staff. Eliazar and Ceasar are truly fantastic in accommodating any needs one might have. We arrived on June 28, 2008 to find Lori waiting for us to arrive; we were ushered to our rooms where we were able to clean up from a long day of travel before we checked in. After check-in we were given a complimentary drink and enjoyed a wonderful night by the pool and on the dock enjoying the sunset.

A golf cart rental is a must for this resort. Town is roughly 15-20 minutes on golf cart; however, some of the sights make it very interesting. The lagoon with the crocodiles is AWESOME. I have never been that close to a crocodile in my entire life and don’t think I will again. The kids do request a tip for luring the crocodiles into land; however, it is cheaper than going to a zoo.

We stayed in 2-2A and found the accommodations very nice. Some things to bring with you include laundry detergent and dish soap. The cleaning staff comes everyday, however, it would have been nice to have soap on hand.

The food was fantastic; we ate at Fido’s Sandbar, Fido’s (not the same), Blue Water Grill, and Wild Mangos. The pibil at Fido’s was remarkable and the service was top notch, I highly recommend this restaurant. The owners kept the restaurant open for us to enjoy many Belikins and some beach bowling, you could not ask for a nicer couple.

Overall, this was a remarkable vacation. Pelican Reef lived up to the pictures and reviews and the staff were incredible. If you are going to Ambergris Caye these are the condos to stay at.

• Liked — Pool and Bar
  • Disliked — Chairs
SAN DIEGO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed for 1 week in condo 2-2B. We liked the location being able to take the golf cart into town daily was essential. The property was nice. We had some issues with the condo. I know they are individually owned but some standards should be maintained. The beds were comfortable, but they had plastic protectors on them with only a sheet between you and the plastic. Noisy and hot! The maid service as stated before was inconsistent. There were no essentials i.e. soap for dishes, napkins or paper towels. I too ended up drying the towels and putting them away. We had to borrow dish washer detergent since the maid did not wash the dishes that were in the dishwasher. We did not find Elianzar helpful. We asked about a bakery, fresh fish and produce and he just said go to the local market. He did not mention the Chicken Drop or offer any activities that were not in his "book". The only time he was helpful was when we were booking a tour or making a dinner reservation. I'm sure he got some kind of kickback for it. Also we went cave tubing on a Thursday, we had a great time, but it was crowded. One of the guest informed us when we got back, that the cruse ships come in to Belize city on Thursdays and that is why it was crowded. We felt that Elianzar should have told us this. We could have gone another day. There were no beach towels in the unit, we did bring our own. Over all this was an ok property but not worth the price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Services
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Pelican Reef was a terrific getaway for my husband and two teenage daughters. The two bedroom condo we stayed in was right on the beach and was beautifully furnished and very comfortable and clean. We had daily maid service and received excellent service from Lori, Eliazar, Caesar and Greg! The staff made you feel right at home. Yes, the road can be rough in a golf cart, but that was part of the fun and adventure for us! The people of San Pedro were very friendly and we always felt safe as we made our way around town. The excursions, although expensive, were fun and fulfilled all of our expectations. Even though Pelican Reef doesn't have a restaurant, there was an abundance of good food in San Pedro. Overall, this was one of the best family vacations we have ever had and I highly recommend Pelican Reef Villas.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Rehoboth, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed at Pelican Reef earlier in the Spring and while the resort is beautiful and the rooms top notch, there are some glaring problems.

There is almost no maid service as another reviewer stated and no food service at all at the resort. For an exhorbatant fee of $225 US you can rent a golf cart to take the long, muddy road into San Pedro. Remember that this is still the 3rd world. Along the way, you never feel quite safe and there is a large lagoon that is between you and town that is frequented by very unruly teenagers looking to stir up the local alligators.

The pool is very small and the drinks aren't exactly cheap.

The biggest problem is that the resort is actually a condo community and I have to say the residents were less than friendly to my friend and me. It was very much like being at a party where no one knows you.

Pelican Reef is a place to get away from it all. It is isolated and pretty but if you are looking for amenities and great service, I would have to suggest elsewhere.

• Liked — Beautiful Room
  • Disliked — Location was too isolated, not too friendly
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pelican Reef Villas Resort? Share your experiences!