“Pelican Reef was the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Reef Villas Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
You added Pelican Reef Villas Resort to your Saves list
Beach Front, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Houston, TX
“Pelican Reef was the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We just returned from a glorious week at PRV. We were two families, 4 adults and 3 teenage girls. We had a 3 BR "garden view" condo but we still had a view of the beach and pool from the balcony where we enjoyed coffee every morning. PRV was perfect for us. The units really are as gorgeous as the photos online show but the very best thing about the resort is the staff. They arranged our outings, diving, recommended restaurants, called cabs, everything and anything we needed to make our stay fabulous. You never know when you go somewhere for the first time whether the resort has a vested interest in the tours and outfitters they recommend. Every tour or service provider PRV recommended was excellent and their motivation was purely to be sure that we had the best experience possible. I had checked online for prices of several of the things they recommended before going and they were the same that PRV quoted. They arrange everything and write you a voucher that you give the provider and you pay for it all through PRV at the end of your stay. Very convenient.

Lori and Greg, the managers. were excellent to work with. I emailed Lori at least 15 times with questions about PRV and San Pedro in general and she was so gracious to cheerfully answer them all. The bedding in the condos is very nice but the pillows on our bed were a little harder than we like. I asked if they had softer ones and -voila - that evening there were softer pillows on the bed. Housekeeping comes daily and cleans, makes beds, does dishes and refurbishes the bath products and coffee (which is really good coffee and we are coffee snobs!). Coffee is available at the bar in the mornings at sun up and a made to order breakfast is included in your rental. Lunches are also provided which was really great for us because when we returned from morning diving we didn't want to go to town to eat. The food was very good and there is enough choice that you don't have to repeat meal choices through the week. Omar makes fabulous drinks at the bar (open mid morning until late at night) and the pool is so refreshing after an hour or so laying on the beach in the hot sun. The grounds are beautiful and so well kept.

Terri and Cesar, the concierges so to speak, were so nice and fun to be around and really key to our enjoyment of the whole trip. The weather didn't cooperate with our diving plans for the first part of the week and they arranged other things for us to do that really ended up being the highlight of our trip. The girls asked Cesar about the coconuts in the trees and he just shimmied up into one and threw some down for them, then cut them open and we ate fresh coconut right there on the beach! The only thing you might want to know that we discovered was that the pool does not have a shallow end and is pretty deep for a shorty like me after you step away from the swim up bar of get off the tanning ledge. Not an issue for us but would be if we had small children.

We have traveled all over the world and stayed in a lot of resorts. Our experience at PRV was one of the best we've had and the service was superb. If we go back to Ambergris Caye we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

The staff was great, couldn't ask for better service. The whole resort was beautiful and always kept very clean.

We were far enough from town for it to be quiet but close enough to take the golf cart in every day if we wanted to.

It's not a resort for small children which was fine because that was what we were looking for. We would be gone most of the day and then came back to relax around the pool and go to bed early.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

This place is amazing.

The resort has a very friendly atmosphere and is located directly on the beach. They have plenty of lounge chairs by the pool and on the beach both in the sun and in the shade. There is even a hammock that I caught a few good naps in. They have a long pier that goes out a good bit from the beach which enables you to see all kinds of fish. They even had one family fishing directly off of it.

They also have kayaks that you can use to travel to the reef (free of charge). The service was amazing. Lori and Greg were great. They were a great source for food, bar and massage advice. The bartender was great (I recommend a bloody mary). The staff knew my name pretty much right away and seem to know all of the guest by name. Not sure if that is their culture but it was nice that they cared enough to remember my name. Oh the cook was amazing as well. After we got back from our fishing trip, she took the fish we caught and cooked them 5 different ways for us ( Mayan, blackened, lemon peppered, coconut and fried). It was some of the best fish I have ever eaten.

The rooms are spacious and are very nicely furnished (i.e. leather couches, full kitchen, walk in showers, queen size beds, etc. Can't say that I spent much time in them but it was nice to at least sleep in them. We booked the ocean front room which I recommend although all the rooms are pretty close to the water. The A/C works really well which made for a nice break from the heat during the day.

I recommend doing the Hol Chan snorkeling trip. It was amazing and very nicely priced. By far the best bang for your buck. The mexican rocks snorkle trip was good as well but if you can only do one do the Hol Chan / Shark Ray Alley trip. The Mayan Ruin trip was fun but make sure you get plenty of rest the day before.

The restaurants on the island are suprisingly good and well priced. I recommend eating at Caliente's (amazing coconut shrimp). Plenty of good bars but I recommend taking a golf cart accross the toll bridge and stoping at Palapa Bar (sits right over the ocean). The food at Pelican Reef is great as well. My favorite dish was their french toast platter.

Oh. You can drink the water / ice on the island. The whole island has a filtration system to clean the water. This was one of my primary concerns before I got there. I never had any issues.

One other side note......take the plane to the island........the water taxi is not worth the savings.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The Pelican Reef Villas is a fabulous place to stay in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.
The island ambiance, staff and accommodations are excellent. My daughter chose this resort to host her wedding. Lori Ruddick and staff were so very helpful and easy to work with. The wedding celebration was beautifully set on the beach and Lori's ability to provide excellent food and local music enhanced the celebration and gave a true island experience for those attending the wedding.

I would return in a heartbeat and definitely recommend Pelican Reef Villas to all considering a Belizian vacation.

Room Tip: Top floor best, but half the villas are sea view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Charleston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

If you can afford it, take the flight to the island. The water taxi is not much fun, and it is a one hour thirty minute hot cramped ride. The Pelican Reef Villa is an awesome paradise!!! Everyone is extremely friendly and very helpful. The food on the island is incredible....and we loved having our coffee ready every morning for a wonderfully romantic walk down the pier to watch the sun rise each morning. We highly recommend the Pelican Reef Villa for a romantic get-a-way or a family vacation.

Room Tip: We were off the beach and loved it...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Had a wonderful time at Pelican Reef! The service at PRV is personal and professional.
PRV complex has a small town feel with cutting edge amenities.We stayed in a three bedroom and loved the way the rooms are designed.
We met the owner and his property manager daughter and they are the best. I would advise staying on the bottom floor closest the beach(2 bedroom).

Room Tip: #7 has doors leading to beach & pool
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

As promised I went back to Pelican Reef Villas again this year. I was once again greeted with smiles and open arms. And I once again found the rooms to be immaculate, the food great, and the environment beautiful. This year, I opted to go on a tour of the Lamanai temple, scheduled by the friendly, knowledgeable Pelican Reef staff. I was very pleased with how smoothly things went.

I can't say enough good things about Pelican Reef and how they accomodated me during my entire time there, both this year and last. It's your loss if you don't stay here and it leaves another week available for me to go back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Reef Villas Resort? Share your experiences!