“Affordable beach front hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Conch Shell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Conch Shell Inn
You added Conch Shell Inn to your Saves list
11 Foreshore Street | Beach Front, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #31 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Los Angeles, California
“Affordable beach front hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I chose the Conch Shell Inn because of it's good value for a place right on the water in San Pedro, Belize. Little did I know that the location would be it's best selling point.

As soon as we got off the Caye Calker Water Taxi, the hotel was steps away. This was my first visit to San Pedro, and I had no idea what to expect.

The hotel is newly renovated and easy to spot with a fresh coat of bright Caribean Pink and White paint. We checked in with the office, and after a few minutes, was in our room.

The room is good size with a double and twin bed. The furnishings are vintage, as is the decor. The bathroom is equipped with a shower and toilet, and the sink is outside of the bathroom. There is also a TV with many channels. I was delighted to see my favs, i.e. FoodNetwork TV and HGTV. I was surprised to see that there was even a feed for a local newstation in my home town. This is a ceiling fan. There is no A/C, and none if needed with the three large windows that ushers ocean breezes into the room.

The large veranda is furnished with two chairs and a table to enjoy the views. However, the lounge chairs in front of the hotel affords better views of the ocean.

The hotel is located right in front of a dive shop and boat dock for fishing and other excursions, as well as the water taxi departure area.

On the downside, the area was a bit noisy on that Friday night, as some of the locals that worked in the area hung out talking and drinking until the wee hours of the night.

Nevertheless, we enjoyed our brief stay at the Conch Shell Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My friend and I found this place on TripAdvisor prior to arriving in San Pedro, and decided to check it out. We got a room with no reservation, for a very reasonable price, and It ended up being the highlight of our whole trip! Perfect location on the beach, extremely clean, and close to everything in town.

I've traveled quite a bit in my life, and the Conch is on my very short "going back to" list! The Manager, Eleanor was great as well. She was always on the move, and great to chat with. There was a hurricane coming, and she actually went out of her way on her off time, to come to our room to let us know that our boat off the island the next day was cancelled. She then helped us make backup arrangement's to get off the island.

I can't say enough great things about this place..I'll see you all again soon!

Thank You for a GREAT experience!

Room Tip: Tempurpedic beds people!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Annandale, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I had a great time during my stay at the Conch Shell. The location was a great central meeting point for everyone in my group and is right on the beach! As a Chiropractor, I really appreciated the Tempurpedic beds and always had a great nights sleep. The staff at the Conch Shell were awesome and also set me up with a great scuba diving adventure! I highly recommend the Conch Shell and can't wait to come back:) You can't beat the price for a clean hotel on the ocean in the heart of San Pedro!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Aarhus, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This place gives you the perfect atmosphere to enjoy the relaxed attitude on this island. -Lay down with a book and a drink in the hammock on the balcony while looking at the sea. Awesome! The location and the outside area is what makes this place perfect. However even though the rooms are fine and clean the toilet might create some problems for the more shy couples. The toilets in the rooms are built with see-trough pricks and is not built all the way to the ceiling so if your stomach doesn't appreciate the belizean food you might have to ask your room mate to go outside while you use the facilities..;)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Belmopan, Belize
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I returned to conch shell inn after many years and found pleasant changes. My children and I spent many wonderful summers and Easters at the Inn so we were happy to return. Well we found out it had new owners and there was no room at the inn for locals. Most locally run hotels have a 'Belizean rate' which this proprietor doesn't seem to care about and for the ridiculous rate there is no AC, the refrigerator doesn't close and the bathroom door doesn't close. Not to mention that even though there were work men making noise with the cement mixer, we were still charged full price. My other issue definitely has to include a questions: Does everyone that goes to Conch Shell Inn sign a form in case of hotel damages? Inquiry minds certainly hope this is not a form of discrimination. My daughters are well mannered and sophisticated enough to know how to behave since they don't live in the rain forest in Belize. Belizeans travel too and we don't expect anything for free but surely we can enjoy our country too without the competition of the obviously higher valued and more favored American dollar.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ConchShellInn, Owner at Conch Shell Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Appreciated Conch Shell Guest,
When renovating the Conch Shell in 2008, our goal was to keep it affordable for tourists,
but most importantly for Belizeans to enjoy their holiday on the beach!
Please review our website as upper veranda is 84/night in low season, you were charged
60 for your one night stay, plus an additional 20 as there were 4 "adults" in your party,(10/pp)
our rates reflect double occupancy.

We appreciate your advice as the doorknob "tongue" was indeed stuck and the refrigerator
door did need to be adjusted and both are now is working order, thank you.
We have always offered locals a 20% discount and also a better rate when season allows.
It is standard practice to retain credit card information or take a deposit and we are sorry
as it was not our intent to have you feel any discrimenation during your one night stay.
FYI, we do offer AC.
Warm regards,
joan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I booked several rooms here as part of a long weekend getaway for myself and a bunch of overworked (and enthusiastic!) archaeologists. Joan was amazing, considering I was coordinating 12 people in one place :p She was extremely helpful through the whole process, even recommending things to do and great restaurants in town. The accommodations themselves were wonderful, clean eco-friendly rooms, wonderful views, hammocks to relax in, beach chairs for lounging, etc. Our experience here was exceptional! The price cannot be beat for the quality of the rooms and outstanding service! I can bet that I will be staying there again on my next visit! Thank you, Conch Shell!!!

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are worth the small price difference :)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dahlonega, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Conch Shell two out of out four trips to Belize. It is by far our favorite place to stay. The owners and caretakers are lovely. The location in town is very convenient. I am simply waiting for cheap(er) flights and my next trip in on!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Conch Shell Inn? Share your experiences!