“A Little Slice Of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xaman Ek Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Xaman Ek Resort & Spa
You added Xaman Ek Resort & Spa to your Saves list
5.5 miles North of San Pedro | PO Box 227, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize (Formerly Playa Blanca Beach Club)   |
Ranked #48 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
St Catharines Ontario
“A Little Slice Of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

We celebrated our 20th anniversary with a trip to Xaman Ek. Do not miss this hidden gem. It is truly a wonderful place. In response to previous posts....I really do think people who are posting bad reviews did not do thier research before hand and didn't know what to expect. This is a perfect place to relax, enjoy the peace and just be yourselves. We absolutely loved every minute of it.
Rooms
We had originally booked a cabana but somehow there was a mix up and Mike upgraded us to the suite. It was huge and had plenty of room for 2 couples or a family. The furnishings were comfortable and made us feel right at home. The kitchen had everything we needed and the view from the front window was spectacular. We couldn't have asked for anything more!! We also checked out the cabana and it was so sweet. We would have been just as content staying in one of them.
The Gardens
Wow....spectacular! Take a walk around back and we felt like we were in paradise. So beautiful. Beautiful plants with lots of vibrant colors. The beach was raked every morning and the sand so soft on the feet.
Staff
Mike, Vicky and all of the staff were wonderful. They were always available for everything and anything that we needed. All of the staff offered us tips on places to go to eat as well as what to do around the island. I cannot say enough about the way we were treated. We felt like royalty.
Restaurant
The restaurant opened not long before we arrived there. ALL of the food was delicious. Try the chips and salsa....awesome! The food was moderately priced and it was nice to have the luxury of not leaving to get a meal if we didn't feel like it. There are other restaurants close by but alot of the time we chose to just stay put.
Tours
We took 2 snorkeling trips with Steve. They were incredible. Don't miss Hol Chan....one of the most amazing things we've ever seen. Never have we seen so much on a snorkeling trip. My hubby also went out with Steve fishing. He had a fantastic time and brought home our dinner! Steve is very knowledgeable and so interesting to talk too. We learned alot from him and had so much fun!

If your looking for a peaceful, relaxing and laid back place to stay Xaman Ek is for you. Thank you Xaman Ek we will be dreaming about San Pedro for a long time to come!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Looking at the other reviews of Xaman Ek here, the one thing that seems to stand out is the matter of people's expectations. Meaning, some people seem to have been disappointed with Xaman Ek because it didn't meet theirs. Others appear to have had a great time there, as did I, my wife and sister-and-law. Thus is life, I suppose.

If you're looking for an uber-relaxing place to spend some time away where you can enjoy the natural beauty of the island, I'd definitely recommend Xaman Ek. If you want to vacation at your own pace, feel at home and meet real people who can tell you about the country you've traveled to, I'd recommend Xaman Ek. In short, if you want to actually experience the island you've just flown however many thousands of miles to get to, I'd totally recommend Xaman Ek.

That said, if you're looking to simply stay somewhere that looks like a movie set, be called "sir" or "ma'am" every 5 minutes by men in pressed polo shirts, and watch the same 300 cable programs you enjoy at home, maybe Xaman Ek isn't for you.

We were looking for a laid-back place from which to explore, and Xaman Ek met our expectations in that respect. We also wanted to meet and talk to as many local people as we could to get their different perspectives on living in Belize. And, of course, we wanted a nice place to sleep and wander about in when we lacked the energy to run about the island. On all counts, I was satisfied with Xaman Ek.

Mike, the owner and a helluva good cook, was available and accommodating anytime we needed something, had a question or wished to arranged an excursion. He's lived in Belize for over 20 years and gave us all kinds of insider info on living there. He was always around but mostly left us to our own devices, giving us run of the place. We could take the kayak out anytime we wanted, grab some fins from behind the front desk whenever, grab a cold Belikin out of the "honor bar" fridge, use the pool room at 2 a.m. if we chose, etc. It was like having your own beach house without the maintenance.

Amir, the waiter/valet, took good care of us anytime we were on the grounds and was lots of fun to talk to. The two girls who take care of the rooms were very sweet -- Bessie makes the bread they serve in the restaurant. The groundskeeper worked tirelessly all day to keep the place up but was never too busy to offer a hand with hauling the kayak down to the beach or helping me figure out how to work the door lock. And Steve, the dive master, took us out for two unforgettable snorkeling trips as well as teaching us all about the science of scuba.

All in all, we left Ambergris knowing a lot more about the place and the people, and staying at Xaman Ek was a big part of that.

Obviously, we weren't there just to experience beachside hotel life. We cooked in our room, swam in the pool, gazed at the stars from the pier, walked to nearby bars and restaurants, shopped at the market, biked to town, etc.

Sure, the towels could have been fluffier, the mattresses a bit more springy and the suite furniture more swank. And if that's an imperative, there appear to be plenty of posh resorts up and down the beach.

Is the per-night price at Xaman Ek reasonable? Well, in the U.S., the same money may get you a lot more pampering, a nicer bed and complimentary champagne depending on your destination city. But if you factor in the location -- Xaman Ek is surrounded by private residences, so you don't deal with tourist traffic -- and the natural beauty all around you, the money becomes less of an issue.

If I were marketing the place, I might drop the prices a slight bit and reach out to the more adventurous yet still comfort-minded traveler vs. those seeking a high-end resort/spa. Regardless, I had a fantastic stay there, I have great memories of our trip and I would stay there again if I were to go back to Belize.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
providence, ri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

I saw this place on trip advisor and thought the website looked great. I was really looking forward to staying in the cabana and being away from town for a relaxing three day stay.

I got there and though the staff was very nice, we were very disappointed by the room and the owner. We killed over 50 misquitos in our room two nights in the row. The owner gave us bug spray but said "what do you expect you are in the jungle; I can't be held responsible for this." He also told me "no one else is having a problem so it must be your problem."

I asked to move or get our money back for the third night and he said no. His attitude was almost as frustrating as the physical bug problem. Not a quality, customer service oriented owner.
I found it interesting to read on trip advisor other people had the same experience when he said this was the first of such problems he has had.

The pool was right next to a pile of palm leaves making it unattractive. There were also no umbrellas to sit under on the beach. All the other hotels in the area supplied them so we went there to relax.

The staff was very nice and we enjoyed our snorkel with Steve and time at the spa. We enjoyed going to the match chica for dinner and portofino for drinks and wished we would have stayed in either of these places.

• Liked — Nice and friiendly staff
  • Disliked — Everything else...
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

My husband and I booked our 5 night stay at Xaman Ek as part of our Belize honeymoon. We wanted something private but still somewhat close to town, and thought it would be a good choice.

After a long trip, we walked off the dock over a small garbage littered "beach" and were "greeted" by the owner, Mike, -an unkempt looking man who didn't even get up from his chair to shake our hands, offer us a welcome drink, or show us around. Aside from us, there were only one other couple and one single woman occupying the place. The place was practically deserted.

We were taken to our cabana by a worker - as soon as we got in our hearts practically sank. We were not expecting small dead bugs between the pillows, thick dust on the ceiling fan, sticky floors, and sheets with small visible stains. At $225.00 a night!

My husband and I were shocked - the room was tidy but in no way clean. We walked down the beach to Rojas- wished we'd stayed there! The owner and her staff helped us call other resorts but most places were booked (would've gladly stayed at Rojas if there was room). We wound up eating at Mata Chia down the beach (another huge step up from Xaman) and then came back reluctantly to our room.

Deciding we absolutely did not want to sleep there (esp. on our first honeymoon night!) my husband spoke with Mike to see if he could do anything else. Mike then bumps us up to a "suite" (by the way, he couldn't have given us that in the first place?).

The "suite"- a larger space with a hodgepodge of mismatched furniture, hard sofas, and no TV (we knew this going into it, but when you're at a resort like this, you long for a TV). Here's the best part: around the edges of the bathroom sink were small cut hairs. A PUBIC HAIR was on the toilet seat, and what appeared to be a PUBIC OR CHEST HAIR was in our bed, underneath the sheets!

Earlier that night we were told by the neighboring couple that honeymoons had just checked out of that suite that day. So, you put two and two together. By the state of the room, it appeared that it was tidied up, but not efficiently cleaned. Washed sheets and a scrubbed toilet and sink do not contain body hairs. That night, we took the sheets off the twin beds in the second bedroom and SLEPT ON TOP OF THOSE, only because we had a feeling the last couple did not sleep in the twin sheets! This is NOT the way one's honeymoon should ever start off.

The next day we found availibility at Costa Maya Resort...a decent spot with more ameneties (and people), but a little father from town. That night we got back to Xaman Ek, packed our things and went to the end of the dock to get picked up. My husband stayed behind to tell Mike we were leaving and why...and hopefully get some reimbursement.

Immediately, Mike took defense "I don't like what you're implying!" and did not offer anything - no money back or anything. "You should have showed me the hairs" he said, rather than listening and offering to help. My husband told him that frankly, he was embarrassed to tell him after the state of the first room....then, my husband walked away because things were getting heated.

Well, since then I have contacted my credit card company who said they would gladly help if I can get anything in writing...which I don't have. Mike does not state any policy about refunds, etc. They claim if it said something about "money back because of dissatifaction, etc", then I would have no problem. No such luck.

So, I email Mike, explaining in detail the situation again, hoping to get some reimbursement...but I get no response. Clearly customer service and high standards is not his forte.

Side note: EVERY local worker (water taxi driver, tour guide, even Mike's own busboy) who knew Mike ALL had negative things to say about him, What does that tell you?

If you are looking for a barebones, overpriced and unkempt place to stay on vacation, Xaman Ek is for you.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the lack of hospitality, unclean rooms, outdated accomodations
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Falls Church, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

My husband and I booked our Dec 2008 honeymoon at Xaman Ek 6 months in advance based on great reviews from trip advisor. We were so disappointed by Xaman Ek that we left after 2 nights (we pre-paid for 4 nights) and moved to Portofino, just 10 minutes up the beach.

We got 40% discounts on our Xaman Ek rooms when we booked, but the prices were still just under $200 a night. For that much money we didn't expect 5-star luxury, but we did expect nice accommodations. We stayed in the "beach front" cabana, which was actually behind the pool, and didn't have a great view of the beach. The sheets in our rooms had stains on them and we had major mosquito problems. We didn't leave our door or windows open at all, but the first night we were there we killed at least 50 mosquitos in the room. The mosquito net was full of holes, so it didn't help at all. We told Mike about the problem and he seemed genuinely surprised and offered us a dirty old citronella candle that didn't help.

We had a terrible night of sleep and after we asked Efnar & Mike to move us to the family suite the next day (one was vacant) they did so with no problem, which we appreciated. The family suite was very spacious and mosquito-free, which was great. But I felt like we were sleeping in a hospital. Our bedroom had no windows, the ceilings were low and the decor was awful. We also had the same problems with stained sheets in this room. This would have been ok for a group of guys on a fishing trip, but it was terrible for a honeymoon.

We walked up the beach to Portofino that morning and they offered us a great deal for the remaining 2 nights. Another couple staying at Xaman Ek did the same thing the day before. Portofino was wonderful - cheaper than Xaman Ek (with the discount), very clean, friendly staff, private boat to take you to town, wonderful restaurant, beautiful rooms. I wished we would have left Xaman Ek after the first night!

We didn't try the spa at Xaman Ek, so we can't comment on that. Mike started serving dinner right before we arrived, so we ate at Xaman Ek the night we arrived. The food was pretty pricey, and the quality was pretty poor. My fish wasn't fully cooked, my salad leaves were slimy, and the vegetable side was overcooked and bland. For the almost the same price you can have an amazing meal at Portofino, Mata Chica or Rojo Lounge. We also did a snokerling trip with Steve from Xaman Ek, which was fine.

Overall the staff at Xaman Ek was friendly and they tried to make the stay nice for us. However, the place just lacks class and nice touches. I know it isn't striving to be a luxury resort, but for the prices guests pay, they definitely deserve better.

• Liked — Good location (near other restaurants and not too far from town)
  • Disliked — Lack of charm and comfort
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I can't say enough good things about our stay at Xaman Ek Retreat and Spa, but I will give it my best shot. It really does look like a Corona commercial (white beach, crystal blue water, docks, cabanas, quiet, etc...)!

To begin, I originally found this gem of a hotel right here on TripAdvisor. When I called the facility to ask questions and book a room, Mike (the owner) answered the phone personally. He was more than helpful and was also very prompt answering subsequent emails. Effnar (facilities manager) was also very prompt and courteous when answering follow-up questions and/or confirming our reservations.

Once we arrived at the Retreat, both my husband and I commented that it was "just what we were looking for in a relaxing vacation!" Effnar and Ceasar greeted us at the dock and took our luggage to our cabana. Effnar then preceeded to take us on a short tour of the facility and explain protocol for taking drinks out of the refrigerator, etc. This was a nice touch and very helpful. Mike and the staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating during our stay. My husband needed to be in touch with his work via email, and was pleasantly surprised to find a wireless network at the facility. Furthermore, to illustrate the friendliness of Mike and staff, we were served a traditional and scrumptious Thanksgiving dinner. I believe this service goes above and beyond for any facility and I have not experienced this elsewhere.

There were a few gliches, such as a delay in our Gold Cards and only being able to pick up the wireless network in the lobby, but who cares? It was not detrimental to our experience in the least and the staff resolved "problems" quickly, amenably and effectively.

The grounds of Xaman Ek are very well manicured and maintained. We commented regularly on the care that Mike and his staff take in order to provide a nice, clean and well-presented facility. The garden in back of the retreat is somewhat hidden, but well worth a quick evening stroll. The small beach and sand around the grounds are raked every morning and neither my husband nor I EVER noticed trash around the facility or on the beach. Please keep in mind, Belize is a developing country without the benefit of a highly sophisticated infrastructure, i.e. NO dedicated trash men or convicts to pick up debris, so you will commonly see refuse along roadsides and/or along the beach. This was NOT the case, however, at Xaman Ek. I can't stress enough the great pride Mike and his staff exhibit keeping the facilities and grounds neat and clean.

The food was delicious. Restaurant on site. Nice serving and kitchen staff. Enough said.

OK, the beach. As I stated earlier, the beach is small, but so is every beach at EVERY resort or hotel on the island. That's just the way it is. Having said this, my husband and I certainly enjoyed ourselves laying out on the beach at Xaman Ek! Again, I can't stress enough how much the staff cares for the grounds-- it was clean and well manicured (no rocks or debris!). If you are looking for miles and miles of white sandy beach, I suggest you go to Southern California and fight the milions of other people looking for the same thing. The beach at Xaman Ek was sufficient and gorgeous. Enough said.

The rooms are decorated with the minimalist look and fairly represented by Mike, his staff and the website. The accomodations, in my opinion, characterize the flavor and flair of the Caribbean and Central America very well. Again, the rooms were clean and sufficient. In fact, My husband and I appreciated no phones or TVs in the rooms as this promotes relaxation IMHO. Beautiful, fresh-cut flowers from the garden were placed on our bathroom vanity, bedside nightstand, and bathroom towels DAILY. This touch was especially nice, I must say. Our cabana also came equipped with a microwave and refrigerator. Please do not expect Ritz-like luxury accommodations once arriving at Xaman Ek. If you want a Sleep Number Bed, phones, TVs, doormen, and a jacuzzi tub, please look into staying at the Four Seasons in Costa Rica. This may be more your speed.

My husband and I are avid divers and had the pleasure of diving with Scuba Steve at the Retreat. Steve was also very pleasant and accomodating, meeting us at exactly the predetermined time and showing us some very nice dive sights. He also cared for our gear once finished. One comment about the reef: This is a very healthy reef system, with many adult/juvenile fish and animals. However, because this is the BARRIER reef for all of Ambergris Caye and other Belizean cayes, it shows the expected wear of many ions of doing its job, i.e. protecting Ambergris Caye from the Caribbean waters. The diving is still great and the animal life spectacular. Thanks Steve for "showing us a good time!"

Finally, the Spa is truly the feather in the cap of Xaman Ek. Tiffany, Shirley and "the girls" are professional and very talented. The massages were some of the best I have received (my husband agreed!). We also had our ears candled, which I also recommend. The spa itself is gorgeous and there is just something about getting a massage and facial right next to the ocean. Again, the staff was terrific! Thank you so much!

In closing, I would recommend Xaman Ek as a relaxing getaway--aptly named as a "retreat." The fact there are only five rooms make the experience at Xaman Ek relaxing, cozy and intimate. There were mosquitoes, but this is no surprise as Belize is a JUNGLE; simple solution: bring bug spray. If you want a sterile, bug-free, beach, jungle vacation, good luck finding one and Xaman Ek is not for you. If you want 24/7 blackout- drinking partying, then Xaman Ek is not for you. If you want all-day entertainment for the kids, then Xaman Ek is not for you. If you are terribly high-maintenance, then Xaman Ek is not for you. If you are looking for a charming, fun, pleasant, welcoming, restful retreat with unlimited diving and world-class spa treatments, then Xaman Ek is just for you! This was a marvelous, relaxing hotel and we will certainly be returning in the future.

• Liked — Friendly staff, cozy atmosphere, diving, clean facilities, private beach, remote location
  • Disliked — nothing!!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

We just came back from 9 nights at Xaman Ek and we loved it! However, I agree with many of the comments below - you have to know what to expect.

Other than my husband and I there was only one or two other couples staying at the resort, probably due to the end of the time of the year. We felt it was like having our own cottage in the tropics.

The appeal of Xaman Ek is the peace and quiet and the natural beauty of the place. I also felt that it was very safe. Part of the natural beauty is also bugs. There are quite a few mosquitoes at dusk and dawn and sand flies can be annoying although there is usually a good breeze blowing which keeps them away during the day. I think this is just part of visiting Central America (we frankly found the bugs worse in Roatan).

We stayed in one of the casitas and really enjoyed it. It is fairly basic accommodation - there are no plush towels or fancy toiletries but we found it clean and comfortable. The air conditioning worked reasonably well and there was always hot water. Each day, Daisy would put fresh tropical flowers by the sink and by the bed. There is a nice porch with great views of the ocean where we would sit each morning and have breakfast.

Cesar keeps the gardens in beautiful shape. He also looks after the pool which is an above ground style pool but was very clean and well maintained for the duration of our stay. I would suggest that it might be good to have a couple of umbrellas at the pool as it gets direct sunlight almost all day.

The manager, Efnar was very pleasant and efficient. He looked after our needs (such as booking local flights and other transportation) promptly.

Mike had opened a restaurant just before we arrived which served breakfast and lunch. I gather he plans to serve dinner soon which would be a good idea as some nights we didn't feel like leaving the resort for dinner. We ate lunch there most days. Bessie is an excellent cook - very nice simple Belizean food including excellent tamales and chips and salsa. Mike made us a great breakfast on our last morning. There was always someone available to cook for us when we wanted.

There is really no road access to the resort so your options are to take the water taxi in to San Pedro or walk to the several dining options north and south along beach from Xaman Ek. I would recommend to Mike that he have a map of local restaurants available for guests with details of how to get there (we walked around in the dark for a while before another guest told us to walk along the beach). We ate at Portofino which was so-so. We had an excellent if rather expensive meal at Mambo (Mata Chica) and we heard from several people that the Rojo Lounge was excellent. All of these restaurants are an easy 10 minute walk from Xaman Ek.

I would strongly recommend getting the Gold Card transportation package offered by the resort. The water taxi is easy and convenient to use and the Gold Card is good value. It can be a bit of a milk run but it is a nice ride. It would be helpful as part of an information package for guests to have the water taxi schedule.

We had a couple of meals in San Pedro. I can't recommend Jambel highly enough. Delicious jerk food and jamaican curries. It is also more reasonably priced than some other places. We also had a great meal at Celi's on the beach - nice fresh seafood. I would also recommend DandE's frozen custard - it is delicious!

What really made our stay at Xaman Ek special (other than the staff mentioned above and the other guests who were great) was Scuba Steve. We spent 7 days diving with him - most days it was just my husband and myself and Steve. Steve is a very experienced divemaster and he is very customer service oriented (he described to us how he had previously managed a large dive operation). He looked after our gear for us and had it set up in the boat ready to head out in the morning. He always seemed to be thinking of ways to make our day special. I had some problems with a piece of my equipment and Steve was able to fix it for me. One of the highlights of our trip (I notice other guests said the same thing) was the fish cook out. After a morning of diving, Steve caught a variety of fish and lobster and prepared it on the beach along with roasted coconut, rum punch and tortillas. It was one of the best meals that I have had and a really fun day.

We didn't use the spa so I can't comment on it.

We will definitely return to Xaman Ek for all of the reasons above but we would not recommend it for everyone.

• Liked — Scuba diving, quiet and staff
  • Disliked — Bugs, lack information about surrounding amenties
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Xaman Ek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!