“There's always a good story waiting to be made...” 4 of 5 stars

Pedro's Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Seagrape Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Brooklyn, New York
“There's always a good story waiting to be made...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Coconut drove. Coconut drove. Coconut drove. What can I say about coconut drove (a.k.a Pedro's)? You won't have a boring night and you are not being lied to about what it is as a hostel - a clean bed, a light, and a strong fan. [--] it. What else do you need two blocks away from the beach and a bar below that probably has the largest in-house stock of jager on this side of the equator??!!

Cindy is the greatest woman you can have on a vacation like belize. She's equal parts den mom and keg buddy. Peter is British. LOL.

I, With all my heart, believe I was the only person on Ambergris caye with a return ticket that hadn't been indefinitely extended and after eight days there I get why. So I suggest not making important plans for a few days after you're "meant" to return.

P.S. Totally unrelated, but I think I need to share. Belize city airport has the best duty free I've ever been in. They have competing vendors that bottom cut eachother, so from shop to shop the prices get better. This can only lead to you keeping the drunken party going back home. I did.

~ The square with a return date.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

We thought it would be total cr8p because of the negative reviews !!! but we were wrong! Cindy and Peter are so nice! we had the deluxe rooms and it was perfectly fine. Tv & AC was a plus especially since we came from the Cayo district. The bar was really nice though we only went for 1 night since we were too tired by the end of the day to stay up so we just used the pool & fell asleep watching tv every night!

The walk to talk is about 5-10minutes and its less than 5 minutes to Ramon beach. Everyone was really friendly & our rooms were cleaned everyday with new towels and linens. If your on a budget & dont care for a high end luxury hotel than staying here is your best bet!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

A few of my girlfriends and I went to Belize for a weeklong vacation and decided to spend the last four nights in San Pedro. If you're on a budget, and don't expect the Ritz Carlton for the small price you pay then Pedro's will be fine for you. We sprang for the deluxe rooms, and we're glad we did. (Us women folk like the non-shared showers...) The staff was friendly and was always willing to give you advice.

San Pedro is a really tight knit community, and it really showed. I decided that I wanted to go diving on short notice and Peter just got on the phone with the dive shop and they sent a boat down to the nearest pier (3 blocks away at the belize yacht club) and picked me up.

The best part about Pedro's is the people that you meet. A true party place, the bar was well stocked with Jagger, beer, and fun people. Poker, beer pong, pizza, and great people more than make up for the budget accommodations. As long as you remember that you get what you pay for, Pedro's is a great place to stay on your trip to San Pedro!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

I've seen a few negative reviews about this place and I can only conclude that the people that wrote them aren't the Pedro's Inn type person. If you are looking for a place where they shower you bed with lilac pedals and there's a majestic waterfall overlooking an infinity pool and the gentle noise of the water breaking on the shore is your alarm clock, and you're insulated from everything, then skip Pedro's. Sure that's nice if you're on a honeymoon or are loaded with cash, but that's not most of us.

But if you're looking for a place that won't cost you you're whole vacation budget, serves a nice cold beer and is a gathering spot from everyone from bookies to retired engineers to wayward Canadian oilfield workers, then Pedro's is your place.

I recently spent two weeks in San Pedro, and didn't regret staying at Pedro's once. My room was cleaned daily with fresh towels. The location was just a quick walk to town, the grocery store, and Ramon's resort, which has the best stretch of beach in town and great chairs and hammocks to lounge in.

The staff at Pedro's was friendly and helpful. Cindy will help you out if you want to book any day trips or just need advice on a good bar or place to grab a bite. The bartenders there are great. And they aren't you're run-of-the-mill resort bartenders who give you fake smiles and kiss your a$$. They're real. They're sharp. They'll joke with you. They'll give you a hard time when you deserve it. Reminded me of my bartenders at home, which was nice.

For the people who complained about Peter (Pedro) being rude, you need to relax. Peter is sharp tongued, witty and honest Englishman. He speaks his mind. But he's a great guy to talk to. Will buy you a shot of Jager upon your arrival and always has a great story to tell.

Overall that's what makes Pedro's the place to stay. I went down to San Pedro by myself, not knowing anyone down there. But each night I met someone new and fun at Pedro's and would find someone to drink with, watch the game on TV or play Wii. And they're real, genuine people. People who live there. People who know how to go out, drink and have a good time. Not the crowd of people who sip $10 pina colodas and spouting on about they're 3 week travel aboard a yatch in the South Pacific and they're manicured estate in Boca Raton.

If you're looking for that picture perfect Carribean vacation where your every whim is catered to, don't go to Pedro's. But if you're the type person who enjoys waking up with half his clothes on, a purple right pinkie toe that you suspect you smashed on a rock on your 2 am walk home and meeting people who have something to talk about other than their stock portfolios, then there's no other place to be other than Pedro's.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

Overall pedros hotel is the place to stay on Ambergis!! the location is key, tucked away from the downtown but within walking distance of everthing. The bar is fun and pizza is good, just dont drink too much jager!! cant wait to go back and the rooms in the new dormitory are really nice, its worth a little extra, plus you get your own bathroom!! If your headed down make sure to tell peter hi for us!! cheers

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

I've titled this review as "memorable" as this is the abiding feeling I have when I remember the few days and nights I stayed at Pedro's. The memories are fond and were triggered tonight while I was looking at the few photos I have recording my stay in San Pedro for a weeks diving. I'm Irish and the Irish have a reputation for being very hospitable and friendly, but Pedro's Hotel would stand up to the very best that Ireland has to offer. Ten out of ten for warmth and being made to feel at home. The room I stayed in was clean and well maintained and the staff very helpful with advice with regard to dive shops and totally unbiased. I would recommend this place to anyone, particularly those on a budget and expecting high standards for their hard earned money. I rarely write reviews on places I stay but felt compelled to do so on this occasion.

p.s Great Pizzas!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
mcgill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

My partner and I stayed in one of the private rooms at Pedro's for 5 nights in early April. We loved San Pedro- beautiful, friendly, laid back, great food and drink and amazing weather, and Pedro's Inn was a fantastic jumping off spot- a very short walking distance to the airport, beach, and all island amenties. Peter and his staff were friendly, congenial hosts and we felt very comfortable there. The jager shots upon arrival were a refreshing and pleasant surprise! Though, not luxurious, the rooms were clean (and cleaned daily), quiet, cool , comfortable, safe and cheap. The bar under the hostel rooms was friendly and lively. Highly recommended- we'll be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pedro's Hotel? Share your experiences!