“Ambergris Caye in August” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xanadu Island Resort Belize

and 1 more site!
You added Xanadu Island Resort Belize to your Saves list
Xanadu Island Resort Belize
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Sea Grape Drive | P.O. Box 109, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Texas
“Ambergris Caye in August”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Slow season on Ambergris Caye is the best! Service everywhere, including Xanadu of course, was excellent. The snorkelig trips with Lil Alfons (arranged through Xanadu) were REALLY good, even the best in the Carribean, I think. Although Xanadu has no restaurant, there are lots of possibilities in walking (on the beach) distance. You can be as active or as lazy as you feel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cathy A, General Manager at Xanadu Island Resort Belize, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
The seasons here are like the tourists who come to Ambergris Caye. Some like to be very active during the day and then dance the night away, while others come to relax and have a break from being so busy. But what doesn't change is the friendliness and service you find on the island. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed all your activities and your stay with us. Thank you for highly recommending us in your very positive review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here on our honeymoon and it was wonderful. Not only was the resort on a beautiful location, right next to the beach, but the staff went above and beyond for their guests. Anything that you needed the staff was more than happy to do for you. We stayed in the Honeymoon Loft and would highly recommend this room/resort to anyone. Thanks Xanadu for all the special honeymoon memories!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Spending your honeymoon on an island surrounded by beautiful water, in a tranquil setting can't be beaten. Thank you for choosing Xanadu for your special occasion and for your kind words regarding our staff. We really appreciate your positive review.
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

A truly relaxing and peaceful location but with all the necessary amenities to hand.
Relax by the pool, enjoy the beach, get picked up to go diving on the local pier, use the free kayaks and bicycles, rent a golf cart to visit San Pedro with all its restaurants, shops, general hustle, bustle and lively night activities.
Service was first class - always willing to help. One night our microwave broke - just as the meal for the 6 of us was nearly ready. They replaced it within 5 minutes and we didn't have to lift a finger!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
'Great location. Fantastic Service' . We appreciate these kind words. We are very happy you enjoyed your time at Xanadu and that you found it to be a relaxing and peaceful location. This is one of the most noticeable things about Xanadu - that feeling of peace and tranquility. Thank you again for your very positive response.
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from Xanadu where we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. It was a perfect 10 for our 20th. I read all the TripAdvisor San Pedro reviews and I called Xanadu and asked Blanca and Ingrid a hundred questions. Well, not really 100, but a lot. They were always helpful. XANADU WAS A 10 FOR US. We stayed in unit # 3, 2nd floor, facing the ocean. Upon arrival we were given cool rum punch drinks which we welcomed coming out of the taxi with windows-only air conditioning. All of the staff at Xanadu are wonderful. We got our key and walked up the steps to our unit and gazed out at the azure waters. I kicked off my shoes and climbed into the hammock - with my rum punch, of course. We totally enjoyed the spacious wrap-around balcony with the hammock, table and chairs.

Unit # 3 was lovely. Everything you need is there including plastic containers for your leftovers. There were wine glasses, drinking glasses, pots, pans, and even plastic glasses for the pool area. There was a flat screen TV downstairs and one upstairs in the loft bedroom as well. Our bed was quite comfortable. The eco-dome unit was amazingly quiet and although it was hot outside, we were comfortably cool inside.

Everything is also so clean - all of the time. I would get up at 6:30 a.m. and the sand would already be raked. Our unit was always meticulously cleaned.

Jim and I purchased the honeymoon/anniversary package which offered everything we wanted to do. We did the sunset boat ride. We snorkeled at Hol Chan and Shark Alley and did the fishing, snorkeling, barbecuing on the beach trip. We swam with fish, turtles, sharks and rays. We caught 15 snapper and had lunch on the beach and took snapper back to our unit to share with our neighbors in unit # 4 the next day. (They were celebrating their 10th anniversary.) We cooked the snapper on the grill by the pool. We also did the couples massage on a dock. With the water lapping against the dock, the soft music, gentle breeze, and magic hands, I was so relaxed I fell asleep.

The pool is great. It is not very large or very deep, but there are comfortable lounge chairs surrounding the pool and you can lounge in the sun or rest in the shade of a palapa.or under the wonderful tropical foliage. Although there isn't a swim-up bar, you can always purchase a soft drink or Belize beer from the office at very reasonable prices or mix your own and bring them to the pool.

Location, location location. Xanadu is on the south side of the island. You can walk out the Xanadu gate, make a left and find a wonderful bakery with awesome cinnamon buns and two grocery stores. Beware the prices in the grocery stores as all of their items are imported and cost more than in the states. Xanadu is also close to downtown San Pedro. Jim and I walked to town via the street, but found walking back and forth to town via the beach much more pleasant. It took us about 30 minutes to walk from Xanadu to downtown San Pedro. Traveling via golf cart is a way of life and although faster, I preferred the view of the water and the fresh air over the carts' gasoline smells. Our package did include the use of a golf cart for the day and we traveled to the Palapa Bar and Grill for lunch and traveled around the north side of the island, which is not as developed.

And then there is Dino, the cat. He is gentle and friendly. You can find him on the bench in front of the office, under a lounge chair, or if so inclined, relaxing on your towel on the lounge chair. He is so purrrfect.

Blanca and Ingrid helped us find a photographer, florist, and a pastor for our vow renewal. We had a very simple but wonderful ceremony, unlike our rather anxious wedding 20 years earlier in St. Louis during the "great 100 year flood." Our fabulous Xanadu neighbors, Brenda and Ryan, took some pictures of us and also cooked us a wonderful dinner afterwards.

Our package also included two dinners and we chose Hidden Treasures and Palmilla Restaurant at Victoria House. The Palmilla Restaurant is totally enclosed and air-conditioned. Hidden Treasures is not enclosed. Both have their charms. The food at both restaurants was excellent as was the service, courtesy of Oscar and Jeremiah.

Although we were prepared with mosquito repellant, we did not need to use it as much as we expected. I think the breeze had a lot to do with it.

Would we recommend Xanadu? Absolutely. Kick off your shoes and relax to Belize time. Cathy, Ingrid and Blanca, we miss all of you and Xanadu already.

Room Tip: Unit Numbers 3 and 4 look out have fabulous wrap balconies and look out over the water
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your very positive and descriptive review. We appreciate you telling others how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations again on your 20th anniversary and we look forward to you visiting us again....perhaps for the next anniversary!
bay area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We arrived early from Belize City and they were able to accommodate us. They even paid for the cab that brought us from the airport. It was only a few dollars but the gesture counts. The rooms are very clean and depending on the room you either have an ocean view or a garden view. There is an excellent bakery about 100 yards from the hotel where they bake fresh bread and cinnamon rolls early in the morning (closed on Sundays). Delightful place to spend a week in Belize. They did have some construction going on so call to make sure that that you are not impacted by it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive review. We are happy you found Xanadu a 'great place with good service and very friendly people'. We apologize for any impact that the construction of the waterfall had on you and look forward to the project being completed so that it can be a pleasure for our guests and a new habitat for some of the little creatures that live at Xanadu.
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

To start I should say that I spent untold hours researching where to stay for this trip. We settled on Xanadu because it was pretty, had a full kitchen including a blender for making pina coladas, a pool, beach access, and bikes. We actually considered staying at Ramon's even though it's a little circus for our taste, but when it came in at DOUBLE Xanadu, we balked. I am so, so glad we did! We could not have been happier with our choice.

When we arrived, exhausted from an early morning bus from Guatemala that somehow stretched to over eight hours without AC followed by an uncomfortable 95 minute motor boat from the mainland (grumbling passengers compared themselves to Cuban refugees and sardines) and then a bumpy five minute cab, Franz greeted us from the polar chill of the front office with a glass of rum punch and paid for the cab. Nerves soothed. Eyebrows raised. Smiles of relief and anticipation all around.

Let's break this into the key categories: grounds and service.

First, the facilities.
The apartment is a charming condo on the second floor of a bio dome that has a gorgeous thatched roof over it. It's a wise architectural choice for the area, but also makes for cool angles on the interior.

The kitchen has everything you'd want. The knives suck, but really that is so minor. There's a blender, a microwave, a big fridge, and housekeeping did some of our dishes.

The air conditioning is effective. Even upstairs I wasn't uncomfortable.

The mattresses are comfortable. I cannot think of a time that I traveled out of the North America and the UK and encountered comfortable beds.

There's an iHome to play from your iPod, but not a Droid. Although there are DVDs available in the office, there is no DVD player so you'd have to link your laptop. I, being on vacation, had no laptop.

On the cute porch, there is a dining table and a hammock that we thoroughly enjoyed.

Picking a room: we were in number 17. Even though it appears to back onto the road, it is a dirt side road that runs from the main road to the beach. There is nothing on it so it was totally quiet. I commend Xanadu for the buffer it has left from its road frontage to where it actually built. They call it a "nature walk and bird sanctuary" and it has a little walk way about 25 feet off the ground that you can walk along, but more than anything it means that wherever you stay at this tiny resort you will be removed from the roar of the road. The road is not that big, but it is packed with 20 year old mini vans and a swarm of golf carts and from walking along it a few times I can assure you that you do not want windows over it.

Linens were provided and additional beach towels are available from the office.

Wifi- check.

Service:
Housekeeping was great. Swept out the sand, made the bed, cleaned the dishes we'd eft in the sink. Never in the way.

Front desk: outstanding. Impeccable English, friendly, personable, remembered everyone's name, went out of their way to be helpful and were never in the way. They set up a couple day trips for us and did a great job of picking a tour guide for us. Their restaurant suggestions were less awesome. Lonely Planet did a better job. Pick where you are going before you come here. The food tends to be over cooked, over priced and the service irritating in many places. Blue Water is nothing to write home about (we're Bay Area Food Snobs though), but the service was great, the menu varied, the quality reliably superior to anything else we had on the island so if I had it to do over again I might just go there every night. Front desk recommended Rico's and it was terrible. I learned a new English word: duffer.

Groundkeepers: my one bone to pick is the groundskeepers who I think would be better if someone told them not to holler to one another. When dozing around the pool, you don't want to be awakened by a conversation between the guy repairing the thatch by the pool and the guy doing something down on the beach. This happened a few times.

A final commendation: I find that when I stay in nice places, everything costs more. Coffee is $4.50, they charge for wifi and parking, etc. Xanadu was the awesome opposite. Beers and cokes and waters in the cooler were roughly at cost or at least were the price or better than we were getting at the grocery store. The tours were as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else on the island.

Oh wait, one more star: they'll let you borrow bikes, kayaks, and snorkel equipment and they don't suck! I've had places offer snorkel equipment on other trips and then it's like the worst, cheapest equipment possible. Xanadu's stuff wasn't bad. I wish I hadn't hauled my own!

Location: far enough south of town that it is quiet, but close enough you can walk it. Even kids. There was a huge festival the last weekend we were there and people were partying all night, but we couldn't even hear echoes of it at Xanadu.

In summary, stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cathy A, General Manager at Xanadu Island Resort Belize, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
It makes us very happy to know you 'could not have been happier with your choice', to stay at Xanadu. Certainly, after a long hot day it is a welcome change to step into the air conditioned office and have a cold welcome drink. We will make a point of replacing the knives and we now have a new DVD player so next time you visit us they will all be in place. Our apologies about the palapa workers - they were contract workers and not our full time staff who are more aware and considerate of our guests. Thank you so much for your very positive review and we hope we can host you again some day.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Everyone at Xanadu knew my name and where always around to see if I needed anything. Rooms were very nice, spacious, and clean. Beautiful, peaceful setting only a short walk to the bustle of town. Staff made all of my diving arrangements and made sure that everything went as I wanted it to. I would definitely recommend Xanadu to all of my friends and anyone planning a trip to Belize

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
We do appreciate you recommending Xanadu to your friends and others wanting to come to Belize. We really enjoy our guests and like them all to feel at home while here, so we are happy to hear you felt that way. Thank you so much for your positive review.

Been to Xanadu Island Resort Belize? Share your experiences!