Extremely glad we chose Xanadu as our hotel, and went with their Must see, Must do package! Both were a home run!! I can see why many that return to San pedro return to Xanadu.
We stayed in Loft #6, lots of room, 2 flat screen Samsung TV's, 1 downstairs in the main living area and one upstairs in the loft (bedroom) 2 bathrooms: 1 downstairs had a tub, while the one upstairs as a shower! Both come complete with large Shampoo, conditioner and soap dispensers. Our king size bed was super comfy. #6 is just off the beach which is nice as the people walking by can't see in--as their are many windows! But from our balcony--complete with comfy hammock, we could see the water and the hotel pool. Kitchen is fully stocked and I mean stocked! Blender was great for mixing slushy type drinks!! The only downfall of this room, and not that big of a deal, is the loft style bedroom. With me getting up early (0530) and wife sleeping in, the openness of the "loft" can lead to bit of a noise issue--using microwave. But not that big of a deal, guess I could have gone outside and enjoyed the beautiful big deck that had a table chairs and used the free WIFI out there. Overall a great room, very comfy and we loved the location.
Free Wifi, kitchen Very well stocked (microwave, blender, pots,pans, table settings, measuring cups, bottle opener, etc etc) A fairly large pool, with plenty of lounge chairs. They even have lounge chairs out on the "beach" and on the private dock.
I say "beach" but its not really a beach, beach! You do not see people swimming right off shore as there is the "green grass" that is anchored to the soil, all along the majority of the island. very few places have a true beach and if they do, it is very small area. 1 hotel just up from Xanadu that had a tiny beach area was Ramons Village resort, BUT it was right across from the airport, and the flights coming into and leaving the island start at 0630, so can be a bit noisy! One can go swim off Xanadu's private dock.
Another nice feature of Xanadu is the pool area is off from the beach, so people walking up/down the beach are not bothering you. Some of the resorts up/down the Island, people walking by, would interfere with your relaxation, not the case at Xanadu. But they do have a few lounge chairs right near the path, so one does have a choice.
When booking a hotel on San Pedro, one has to consider location and how you plan to get around. If you want to rent a golf cart and get around, then maybe location does not matter so much! We prefer to walk and this is another area where Xanadu is great. Was only a 10-15 min walk into the heart of San Pedro! And its a very nice walk, in the sand, and flat, and there was always a nice breeze blowing. It was a very enjoyable walk, did it at night and always felt safe.
We did the Must see, Must do package and it was simply awesome!! Not sure if you get a special deal by doing the package, but what is nice, the staff set it all up for you AND when you arrive, they phone and re-confirm everything again with the person running the tour! As we were told, tour operators can forget, so its a great service provided by the hotel!
1) 8 hour cart rental! We did that on the 1st full day there, so we could drive around and see what there is to do.
2) Day excursion to visit Xunantunich Ruins, go Cave Tubing and do a Zipline tour. Included the airfare on Tropic Air back to Belize City. Our Tour guide was Leo. I reviewed this already, so you should be able to locate it! Zipline was a bit boring as it was only 5 lines and very tame ones at that! The ruins and Tubing were awesome and Leo was one of the best guides I have ever had! Full of interesting information
3) ½ day snorkel at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. Great time. Recommend to do it in the morning. We were picked up at 0900 on the Xanadu dock and dropped off shortly after 1200. We brought our own gear. But Xanadu does provide some and so did the tour operator (Lil Alphonse) Highly recommend a lot of water proof sunscreen (especially on top of head) and a water proof camera
4)Day excursion relaxing on a catamaran. We originally thought this was going to be the worst of our excursions, BUT turned out to be one of the best! So relaxing on El Gato and we went to Mexican rocks for more snorkeling and got closer to the Belize reef, again for more snorkeling! The lunch they provided us on the boat was mouth watering! Lobster tails, mixed in with fresh veggies and in another dish was fish fillet with veggies! fresh salad and home made tortilla shells. Again lots of sunscreen is required and a water proof camera. Just so relaxing to be out on the water, with a nice breeze. The areas where we snorkeled wasn't as crowded as the Shark Ray Alley/Hol Chan.
As they say, save the best for last. Through email I dealt mainly with Blanca and Ingrid and they are true professionals. answered my many questions promptly. In person they were great, always had a smile and they truly cared that our stay was going well. I forget the young gentlemen name at the front desk and he was super as well. When employees walked by they always said hello. One felt they genuinely cared how your stay was going.
I truly can't say enough on how much we enjoyed our stay at Xanadu and how much we enjoyed the island. We had a blast on our excursions, walking around and just being plain lazy. I enjoyed taking that 3 minute walk to the Bakery for fresh/warm cinnamon buns each morning (closed Sundays) I miss it so much! lol
Lot of Sunscreen
Water proof camera (they are not as $$ as you think, my Panasonic TS20 did a good job))
The Convenience store thats a bit further(15 feet) down the street has more selection than the very close one)
One can dress very casually at all times
Use of American $$$ is fine. 2 Belize = $1usd
I would stay away from the rooms right on the "beach" not quite as private, but they do have very good window coverings and the foot traffic is not that bad
If we were to return to San Pedro, would not even bother trying another resort, Xanadu would be our only choice, we had that great of a time there, much of that is due to its location, and even more so, it's excellent employees.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- UNIQUE, BOUTIQUE, TRANQUIL & ROMANTIC Eco-friendly Xanadu Resort lies nestled in the natural vegetation, on the beach overlooking the 2nd largest barrier reef and the Caribbean Sea. Located a mile south of San Pedro, Xanadu is close enough to enjoy the activities of the town yet far enough away to be peaceful and quiet. Green Globe certified, Xanadu takes care of their guests, their staff, their community and their environment. Service excellence combined with the beautiful natural grounds and unique buildings draw guests to return again and again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Xanadu Island Resort Belize reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize Hotel San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Hotel
- Xanadu Island San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize San Pedro