“Great mix of local culture” 5 of 5 stars

Exotic Caye Beach Resort
South Coconut Drive | PO Box 11, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great mix of local culture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our first trip to this little island paradise was fantastic. This hotel is very quiet and calm, except for their live band nights which I describe later. We are easy walking distance to just about everything we need, as explained by our hotel guide when we got here. We were in the office for about 30 second and a nice gentleman came and took our luggage to our room. As like most places next to the sea, the room shows it on metal parts and some wood work. Plumbing pipes are also sometimes hard to work when you are just steps from the sea but our guide explained how to get the most out of our room. Highly recommend Pepper Oni's for VERY good american pizza just in case you want a change. Crazy Canuks bar here on the property is full of locals who will point out all the great spots you must visit when you are here. We ate, fished and snorkeled our entire five days here and we really don't want to leave. It is very easy to get into the rhythm of the island and the local vibe here is amazing. We have a wonderful time and are busy plotting our next trip!

Room Tip: Most rooms have a kitchen but our Honeymoon Suite did not. Crazy Canuks bar has live bands on Sunday...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I went here in 2012 over the Christmas holiday. It was one of the best trips we have ever been on. First the resort is a great place to stay. Easy access to everything on the island and I would encourage you to rent a golf cart and explore as far as you can. The staff was also extremely friendly and accommodating. By the end of the trip, most everyone knew our names and would always say hi anytime they saw us walking by.

The rooms are clean and comfortable as well. With nice balconies or decks to sit on. All of the rooms look right out onto the beach and ocean so there isn't a bad spot in the lot (from what I could tell).

Then there is of course Crazy Canucks bar which isn't even run by Canadians. This was the first place we went to grab a drink and simple bite of food. Of course, one drink turned into two and two into three and so on. Until I realized I didn't have enough cash to pay the full bill. I mentioned this to the bartender (owner) and he just said, come back and pay me when you have the money. That was when I knew the island life was for me.

I would recommend you go and visit Ambergris any chance you get. The island is beautiful, you are close to Hol Chan and people are all so friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Pedro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I come to San Pedro often-and just a few months started going to Tara's Yoga Studio located next to Exotic Caye. She is a gem: the yoga classes are the best I have attended, ever which is saying a lot. She is professional, the room is clean with mats and water and blocks/straps and a bathroom. Tara pays attention to each participant, whether beginner or advanced. Cannot recommend this enough..I'd give it over-the-top ratings. The only issue I see is that the yoga classes aren't advertised that much so it took a friend staying at a hotel to bring it to my attention.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Tara leads a beautiful practice. The yoga room has a delightfully warm room temperature so the muscles open up nicely. The view overlooking the palms and water is exactly what I wanted while practicing on the island. The class was gentle, yet challenging and appropriate for all levels. Water, mats and blocks are provided so you can still travel lightly. This is a great stop for the traveling yogi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Didsbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at Exotic Caye from Dec. 13 - Jan. 3. Upon arrival, we were greeted by name and welcomed like we were family. Out of nowhere, a young man showed up and took our luggage to our room. We were given information on where to buy groceries, the fitness club we could use by showing our room key, restaurants to frequent and a run down on the bar, pool and such on the premises. We were then taken to our room and given a run down on everything in there. The next morning, Kelly came to our room to introduce herself and make sure all was okay. We met Josie and Nellie, the housekeeping staff, and they too welcomed us. Between the two of them, our "house" was spotless every day. Ben, Mait and Ally are the groundskeepers/maintenance staff that keep everything running smoothly. Every concern you might have is adressed immediately and professionally. After spending 21 days there, I can find nothing that wasn't top notch. We will definately be back and will be recommending Exotic Caye to everyone. It is truly a home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edina, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at Exotic Caye in January, 2012 and are returning Feb. 1-10th,2013 with a group of friends (4 couples). The location is great and the staff is friendly and helpful. While the units are older, our room was clean and spacious and I had no problem recommending the resort to my friends who have not visited the island previously. The staff can assist you with a golf cart rental which is a MUST for exploring San Pedro. Good luck and pleasant journneys to all fellow travellers! Tom D

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went to SCUBA dive (fantastic) and utilized the dive shop on the property, Discovery Expeditions (see other review). The resort is a mixture of older and newer rooms. It's not a five star resort, but I think it was a good deal for what we paid. I had a room with a kitchenette in it for several days, and then moved to a different room as the staff was doing work on the building I had been in. The rooms are very basic and have seen some use, but the staff kept them very clean. As some people have said previously, there is a karaoke bar across the street so if you are in some rooms (like building 5) you might have to listen to them on Wednesday nights. The property is kept very neat. The beach is open to anyone wanting to walk through so there tends to be a lot of transient traffic. The staff were great. They took care of everything we needed and seemed to work hard at keeping the whole property clean. There is wi-fi available if you need to send e-mails back home. There are a few little stores within walking distance so you can grab groceries. Each room has a small refrigerator. After our flight landed in Belize City, we took a water taxi to Ambergris Caye. We arrived at about 7:30 pm and the hotel office had already closed. This caused a minor problem, but the staff soon got our rooms for us and we were set. If I had to do it again, I would have taken the 15 minute puddle hopper flight (Tropic Air or Maya Island Air) and saved the 75+ minute boat ride. It's a little more money to fly, but it seems to be less of a hassle. Also, if you take the water taxi back to Belize City at the end of the trip, be prepared to be hassled by people wanting to sell you things at the water taxi terminal, as well as the (car) taxi drivers fighting over who gets to take you to the airport. We grabbed our bags and walked out to where the taxis were. Most of the drivers wanted $25(US) to take us to the airport, but they started bidding against each other. We let them do it until it got to a price we liked. Overall, it is a good place to stay if you aren't expecting 4-5 star accomodations.

Room Tip: The "honeymoon suites" are located closest to the beach and farthest away from the karaoke...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Exotic Caye Beach Resort? Share your experiences!