“Nice location, great staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Exotic Caye Beach Resort
South Coconut Drive | PO Box 11, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #34 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Minnesota
“Nice location, great staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went to SCUBA dive (fantastic) and utilized the dive shop on the property, Discovery Expeditions (see other review). The resort is a mixture of older and newer rooms. It's not a five star resort, but I think it was a good deal for what we paid. I had a room with a kitchenette in it for several days, and then moved to a different room as the staff was doing work on the building I had been in. The rooms are very basic and have seen some use, but the staff kept them very clean. As some people have said previously, there is a karaoke bar across the street so if you are in some rooms (like building 5) you might have to listen to them on Wednesday nights. The property is kept very neat. The beach is open to anyone wanting to walk through so there tends to be a lot of transient traffic. The staff were great. They took care of everything we needed and seemed to work hard at keeping the whole property clean. There is wi-fi available if you need to send e-mails back home. There are a few little stores within walking distance so you can grab groceries. Each room has a small refrigerator. After our flight landed in Belize City, we took a water taxi to Ambergris Caye. We arrived at about 7:30 pm and the hotel office had already closed. This caused a minor problem, but the staff soon got our rooms for us and we were set. If I had to do it again, I would have taken the 15 minute puddle hopper flight (Tropic Air or Maya Island Air) and saved the 75+ minute boat ride. It's a little more money to fly, but it seems to be less of a hassle. Also, if you take the water taxi back to Belize City at the end of the trip, be prepared to be hassled by people wanting to sell you things at the water taxi terminal, as well as the (car) taxi drivers fighting over who gets to take you to the airport. We grabbed our bags and walked out to where the taxis were. Most of the drivers wanted $25(US) to take us to the airport, but they started bidding against each other. We let them do it until it got to a price we liked. Overall, it is a good place to stay if you aren't expecting 4-5 star accomodations.

Room Tip: The "honeymoon suites" are located closest to the beach and farthest away from the karaoke...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The rooms themselves are nothing too special...but if you are going to Ambergris Caye, hopefully the point of your trip is not to stay in the hotel rooms. The actual resort is BEAUTIFUL, with a beach that opens right to the Caribbean and hammocks that you can lay in and relax. The staff is beyond friendly, they were nothing but helpful for my boyfriend and me. We also got free snorkeling with a small upgrade to go snorkel Hol Chan (which was my favorite part of the trip!). Rhonda was super helpful in helping us get tour operators for all our adventures. We also got free breakfast everyday at George's Kitchen, which is way better than any continental breakfast I've ever had at a hotel. We even made friends with the extremely friendly resort live-in cat (and I don't even like cats!). All in all, this place is great if you want to surround yourself with a relaxing environment, with great people, for an amazing vacation in Belize.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Corvallis, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Like I said the place is old, the value is great. My point is if all you do is sleep there, it is a great place. The news is it will be torn down soon and replaced so they aren't making many improvements. Kelly worked hard for us and the staff is wonderful.

• Stayed December 2012
Tempe, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Like so many other reviewers, I purchased our stay at Exotic Caye via Groupon. We stayed there for the second half of our honeymoon (were at the amazing Maruba Resort for four nights before). There were several things I liked and several things that were just "meh" about Exotic Caye.

First, the outside grounds are incredible. We had an amazing view from our porch of the sea and would sit with coffee every morning to watch the sunrise. That was an experience I will not forget. The loungers were also very comfortable. We never did use the small pool, but it was nice to have it. It was nice having a bar on property (Crazy Canucks) and a dive shop. My husband and I liked how ECBR was not in the middle of San Pedro but was a short walk (15-20 minutes). The staff, particularly Maitland, were very friendly and helped get us good deals (if you want to go fishing, ask Maitland about Captain Daniel).

The rooms weren't spectacular. It was nice having a kitchenette but the rooms were slightly dirty and we had a bit of an ant problem (the only thing we had the room was coffee and beer, which were kept in the fridge). The AC unit was incredibly loud in the bedroom and neither of us slept well.

Overall the place is fine but not spectacular. I'm not sure if we would stay there again should we return to San Pedro but we did enjoy the view and the beach.

Room Tip: Make sure to request one closer to the sea and farther away from the street. The bar across the stre...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We were in Ambergris Caye in February at Exotic Caye and fell in love with it. We decided to come back for my birthday in November. I must say the resort is still great!! Sure it is older but the rooms are clean and you have a kitchenette which is nice especially if you are up early and want coffee. The staff is terrific--Josie and Nellie will take good care of your rooms. Maitland and Ben are always willing to help with anything you need. If there is any kind of issue they will take care of it . Our microwave did not work and they replaced it immediately.

The beach is one of the best in San Pedro and there are many restaurants within 5-10 minute walk along the beach.

If you are looking for a first class resort this is not it--but if you want a real Belizean experience at a reasonable price--this is the place. I checked out some of the other resorts and they are much more expensive.

Would come back to Exoctic Caye again and again!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the beach. We stayed in 5C. I prefer the second floor as you have a better vie...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

These condos are close to San Pedro, which gives you a variety of restaurants to dine at within a 5 minute walk. There is no restaurant at the hotel/condo, or anyone there after 6pm which is when the office closes. They have a security guard at night, whom I caught sleeping underneath the hut in the pool area. Their security cameras where not working, and were being removed when we were leaving. The condo/hotel is a decent size, however, the inside is absolutely horrible. I stayed in one of the older units, and it was just falling apart. The bathroom was disgusting, the toilet seat needed replaced, the bathtub was just nasty, like if they rinsed it without using any kind of soap. The couch had stains everywhere and felt sticky. The mattress was okay but the sheets had stains all over and the bedding was old and washed out. I did not want to sleep in that bed. We had paid for 3 nights and ended up leaving a day earlier.
There were 2 members of their staff which were very helpful, however the remaining was horrible. We booked a snorkling trip for our second day there, which ended up being cancelled by the staff the night before at 5:50pm because the weather the next day was suppose to be bad. The next morning when I approached the staff about it, they said it wasn't cancelled due to weather, but because there were not enough people booked. So they lied to us and did not even cared to re-book us with another company to go snorkling. When I mentioned this to Kelly; whom I believe runs the place, she said that she didn't want to deal with stress and to go for a walk and come back in a bit to tell us what we want to do. We had booked a room the night before in Maskall since they told us the weather in San Pedro would be bad, so we decided to leave and go to a much better place. However, they did not seem to care that we were upset or disappointed, she didnt want to deal with us.
I must say the beach is one of the cleanest in the area. They only have 6 lounging chairs on the beach, which are old and a color that I belive used to be white. Not every guest gets a chair so if you don't go out there early, you have to lay on a towel on the sand. This wouldn't be bad if there weren't so many sand fleas.

Room Tip: Go after it is renovated. All rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
exoticcaye, Manager at Exotic Caye Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
When bad weather settles in here on the cayes, people get upset and sadly, snorkelling programs get cancelled. This couple had booked for 3 nights and for the 2 that they stayed with us, sadly, it poured rain.
We gave them the option to reschedule their snorkelling trip that the operator had cancelled the night before due to the poor weather and this clearly was disappointing but beyond our control. The following morning we wanted to offer some time for the guests to reschedule their trip since there was a good weather window midday and or to rethink their decision to immediately leave, but they had made their plans and wanted to move on, and that's okay. We sincerely care about our guests but we also respect their decisions.
Our security cameras work perfectly well and were never disabled at any point during their stay, even if our security guard was at the time our guests saw him that night.
Our cafe is re-opening this week and guests are always able to grab a tastey, grilled sandwhich or something yummy at our beach bar starting at 11am each day. Plus, there are several restaurants within walking distance in every direction from the resort but when its raining, many people don't want to be outside walking around.
Certainly, we would have addressed each & everyone of their room concerns had they raised them with us during the 2 nights they were here, as guest comfort is always our first priority.
Glendale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend, a friend and I stayed in 7C during Thanksgiving week, which included a one bedroom that was downstairs with a separate "loft" type room upstairs. The loft is completely open and if you're tall, be careful because you'll probably hit your head since the ceiling slants. My boyfriend is 6'1 and he could barely use the bathroom!

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the hotel. It was nice to have a little kitchenette so we didn't have to spend as much on food. If you decide to stay here, there's a grocery store right across the way, but we usually ended up walking the five minutes to the larger one down the road and across from the school.

The first night we stayed in, our room had a strange smell to it and we came to realize after speaking with the housemaid, Josie, that a new maid had accidentally prepared the unit next to ours instead of 7C. The smell lingered because it came up the drain in the downstairs bathroom. She left a rag over the drain to keep the smell out and the smell went away just fine. Every day we'd leave our hotel and come back to a nice clean room. Josie took such special care to clean it up nicely for us and even washed some of our dirty dishes that we didn't get to! Please tip her well, she's a real gem!

Crazy Canuck's bar was right downstairs from our unit, which was nice, but at the same time it was difficult to go to sleep when they'd have the band playing. If you have kids or like to go to bed early, I'd ask the hotel to put you in a unit far from the bar. Other than that, you'll love hanging out there playing horseshoes or just kicking back and talking to the locals.

If you expect a swanky hotel, this place is not for you. Find another, more expensive place like Ramone's where you'll be catered. I, personally, didn't mind the "tackiness" (as one of the other reviewers put it) and actually thought it had a lot of charm and local presence to it. I totally plan to come back and do some of the tours that I didn't have a chance to do.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Exotic Caye Beach Resort? Share your experiences!