“Exotic Caye” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Houston, Texas
“Exotic Caye”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in July 2012. We got a deal off of groupon. My parents stayed in the Condo room and we stayed in the "honeymoon suite". I liked the suite because it was on the 2nd floor and you could sit out on your porch at night and enjoy the breeze. Thomas was great and so was Kelly! I loved it there however there is so much vegetation in the water on the beach that you cannot just walk into the water and take a dip. The pool is rather small so its mostly lounging on the beach or sitting at the bar. Or you can pay to take a tour off the dock. Talk to Thomas for good deals on the tours and they can even bill them to the room for you. I recommend the all day fishing survivors tour.
This is not a huge resort style hotel so if that is what you are expecting you will be disappointed. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for the "Condo" type accommodations.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite was well air conditioned and very spacious! Great View!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Newport Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed here w a Groupon. It's location is good but the rooms are not. Poorly equipped kitchens, futon in so called living room so uncomfortable you could not even sit on it to watch t v . The staff was very nice but still not a good value for your money.

Room Tip: We moved to the hotel accross fom the airport which was very nice for the same price.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Dimas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My friends and I got a deal through Groupon for Exotic Caye Beach Resort. It included breakfast, snorkeling, and a yoga class. The room itself had your important essentials. A small fridge, kitchen(which we didn't use), tv,wi-fi, and a futon/couch. We had informed the hotel that there would be 3 people staying in a room and we needed an extra bed or room. We were give a room with one bedroom and the second bedroom was located which was an attic type of place with no AC (the actual bedroom is the only one with ac) and the hut leaves as a ceiling. To get to the attic you have to climb these stairs like the type in double bunk beds but longer. Well there was no way I was going to sleep in the scary attic with no ac and the scary hut leaves looking at me so my girlfriends and I moved the mattress into the actual bedroom downstairs. Don't ask me how we moved that mattress down but we did. The voucher we were given for our breakfast was either for Sara's Kitchen (don't go there it's bad even though its located on premises) or Georges Kitchen (way better). The cleanliness of the hotel was fair, they can do better our sheets had this weird smell to them oh and the mattress we moved had a crazy stain on it. Location is good you are about 3 miles from the little downtown area, walking distance from many delicious restaurants by the beach. The bar at this resort is good especially the night when they have the punta reggae band playing. They have a fake pool, which was good enough to relax. Really loved the hut umbrellas they had with their beach chairs. Overall, for the price Exotic Caye was fair. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I just got back from my first trip to San Pedro, Belize with my two sisters and LOVED it. We are definitely coming back!

Exotic Caye is perfect if you want to just relax outside and enjoy the scenery - if you want to stay in your room the whole time, this is not the place for you. Accomodations were fine, but be warned that usually just the bedroom is air conditioned, if you are in one of the older units.

The staff is beyond friendly and helpful. Shaggy, Lucky and Jane are so fun to watch and it is a great place to relax and unwind. I was worried about the small pool, but didn't need to go in very often so it ended up being perfect.

Sara's kitchen is great and so is Canucks and Juan at the Dive Shop on the pier is SO NICE. Go on a trip with him - don't pay for the expensive other tour operators - they'll rip you off and he gives a great tour and shows you all sorts of sea life!

Overall, a wonderful experience and I am sad I am not there anymore.

Room Tip: Make sure you get in one of the newer villas.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had a three week stay at Exotic Caye Beach resort in July of this year. The palapa accommodations are comfortable and provide everything you need for a beach vacation in Ambergris Caye. The fully equipped kitchen was great for fixing our own meals on occasion, while the resort location on the south side of Ambergris Caye was within walking distance of plenty of restaurants if we chose to go out. There was a lovely porch from which to view the super calm Caribbean, a fine beach and dock area for relaxing, and a great on-site beach bar for that occasional late afternoon rum punch or mojito. The onsite restaurant served up a fine breakfast.

The staff at the resort was super friendly and accommodating, and one of the main reasons for staying here. We left feeling like the staff were friends, and we will definately be returning.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, but 2nd floor rooms have a better view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This resort was perfect for me as a solo scuba diver. I stayed in room 5A which is on the ground floor. the villas are 4 unit blocks with two rooms above and two rooms below. All seem fine and all seem to have and ocean view. They have a kitchen, bedroom, washroom etc. Kitchens have a small fridge, full stove, sink, microwave and utensils/pots/pans etc.

TV has basic satelite service.

Josie is the main housekeeper and is awsome. She went out of her way to keep my room nice and comfortable. Don't forget to tip her!

There is a tiny pool on the deck in front of the rooms with a couple of hammocks. I never used it but it was available.

There is a local bar at the resort called the Crazy Canuk that seems to be popular. Dock is good and you can be picked up from there by a couple of good dive shops including Ecologic Divers.

There is a small cafe on site that i visited once for breakfast but chose to go to the many local restaurants near the resort. One place in particular was very welcoming and had good food: George’s Kitchen. Just across the street from the resort. Pepperoni's Pizza is another place across the street and serves the best pizza on the island. Really awesome and really convenient.

Most traffic on the island is on golf carts. You can rent one if you want but it did not seem necessary as most things are right within walking distance. there is a grocery store across the street as well.

You can grab a taxi into san pedro for a few bucks. tell the driver what you intend to pay when you get in. there are no meters. i generally gave the driver $5 USD for any trip into town. The Belizean dollar is locked to the US dollar at a rate of 2 to 1. You can use US dollars everywhere. Just divide the price of whatever you are buying in two.

the resort is right on a great part of the reef and offers awesome local diving with any local shop. I used Ecologic Divers and was thrilled with them (i provided a review under their name as well).

I was not charged and single supplement fee and, in fact, got a good discounted rate for the low season. Just send them an email and ask what rates they have or visit their web site at belizeisfun.com.

I recommend this resort to solo divers, groups of divers or friends and to couples. I would not bring my young daughter to this resort just because i think she would get bored if she wasn't diving. Lots to do in the area for adults though and lots of bars and sight-seeing is available.

The flight over to this caye from Belize city is cheap and quick. Two airlines service the caye...tropic airlines and Mayan airlines. I think i paid something like $120 for a return flight. The resort can arrange this for you easily. They really have their stuff together and are really helpful.

Room Tip: I found my ground floor to be very nice and enjoyed not having to climb any stairs. The second floor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about our 7 night stay this month. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. Thomas is exceptional -- he scheduled all of our excursions and a special anniversary dinner. He was always there to help and give information about the culture, great places to eat, and things to see. Josie in housekeeping was super sweet, and Mait was also a great host. Our room was spacious and clean. You will not find a better deal anywhere on the island. We stayed in room 7B which was right next to the bar--so convenient, lol. We rented a golf cart upon our arrival, it was inexpensive and a great way to get around town. Even if you don't rent one you will never have a problem getting a cab. There's a grocery store across the street, but there's a better one a little closer to town. Don't miss out on the excursions while you're there, we did a sunset sail, snorkeling, scuba diving, ziplining and cave tubing, and Lamanai. All were incredible experiences. Thomas only uses 1st class vendors. We will definitely be returning for round two. This was the best vacation we've ever had!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Exotic Caye Beach Resort? Share your experiences!