We just returned from a great vacation in Belize. This was our first time in Belize and we learned a few things on this trip that we thought we would share with everyone. If you haven't been here before it might be nice to know.......
1. Arriving in Belize City --- Buy your liquor at the Duty Free - you will save a ton of money. We purchased several bottles of wine for $6 and $8. We didn't really have high hopes for them -- but they turned out to be very good. Comparable wines on the Caye are a min. of $25 and they go up from there;
2. Tropic Air is a great airline to fly over to the Caye. Everyone was helpful and friendly and the flights are quick and convenient;
3. Once you land in San Pedro - it is a quick 1 1/2 blocks to the dock where you take the boat to the Belizean Shore Resort. Unless you have a ton of luggage there is not much point in waiting for the taxi;
4. Once you arrive by boat to the resort you are greeted and given a very refreshing rum punch and cool towel, shown to your room, and left to unpack -- it was great after travelling for over 15 hours;
5. Our 'room' was actually a very nice 1 bedroom with loft 2nd floor condo. As people have mentioned the Condos are somewhat dated -- but it was very comfortable and had all the necessities - including a full kitchen. The bathrooms are supplied with numerous toiletries including soap, shampoo, lotion;
6. We had dinner the first night at the resort - as we got in after 7:00pm. The food was okay, but not great. The wine was terrible. Breakfast - on the other hand -- was great. We had the full meal deal with eggs, bacon, potatoes, coffee. Very good.
7. The location of the resort is a bit isolated so if you are looking for a major party place this is probably not where you want to be. You can take a golf cart or bikes into San Pedro during the day. At night you would need to take the water taxi.
8. For groceries there are 2 stores within walking distance. Captain Morgan's is within 5 minutes walk south of the resort and has some basic food and liquor - but not much else. The other grocery is north but is much farther. It took approx. 20 minutes to walk and didn't have much more than the closer store. There is supposed to be a grocery that you can order online with - but when I checked for our trip they were out of most items that we needed.
9. Restaurants -- there are 3 that we tried very close to the resort - 2-5 minutes walk. All were very good. The two locally run ones that I would recommend are Rendezvous and Capricorn. The 3rd one is 'O' which is in the resort just a few minutes north of Belizean Shores. This one had great food -- but it is definitely a 'formula' restaurant -- typical of the big Mexican resort restaurants.
10. Finally I have to say that the staff here are amazing. They will try to accommodate any request that you might have. Marianne - the Guest Service Manager - is fabulous. It is easy to see that the staff are one of the many reasons that people come back to Belizean Shores!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belizean Shores Resort is the perfect destination for active and adventure travelers. It is a great place to bring the family and have some fun. The resort offers comfortable and affordable pool view and beachfront suites with many amenities to keep the family entertained. It's onsite Excursion Center gives adventure seekers every opportunity to explore the island and the country. After a full day of activities the Blue Hole Pool Bar is a great way to wind down, relax, and enjoy the beautiful swimming pool. Belizean Shores offers complimentary water sports to all guests- kayaks, paddle boards, paddle boat, and water trampoline. It also offers complimentary use of the onsite tennis/basketball court, ping pong tables, beach volleyball, children's swing set, and life sized chess set. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, T4B, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Odigeo so you can book your Belizean Shores Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belizean Shores Hotel San Pedro
- Belizean Shores San Pedro
- Belizean Shores Resort Belize/San Pedro