“Funny name, fine food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 126 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Our dishes are made fresh daily. We have a large variety of delicious seafood, beef, chicken and pork dishes. Our desserts are as special as our savory ones. We are situated on the beach in front of the Belize Water Express at the end of their dock. We cater to locals and tourist alike. We only create dishes of seafood that have been caught and delivered to us fresh from the local fishermen here in San Pedro and you may see them deliver this fresh fish to us while you are enjoying a refreshing drink or eating a meal from our kitchen. You can indulge in some fresh Sashimi or Poki Tuna while sitting here and enjoying a clear view of the second most longest Reef in the world only half a mile away. We do make fresh vegetarian foods as well for the customers that choose not to eat fish or any meats. Please note: We do take credit cards.
Omaha, Nebraska
“Funny name, fine food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This place was new to me on this trip and, actually, we were headed somewhere else when we stumbled upon it. We're glad we did.

The food is excellent and it's right on the beach. We didn't get upstairs but the owner told us he's finishing up some work up there and it will be fully-functional soon. I can see Lick's becoming a busy place.

The food was delicious and changes often, as evidenced by the chalkboard menu. We had the full range of dishes, from stew chicken on up, and all of us (six the first time, eight the second--we had to go back) agreed that each dish was delicious. Service was fast--by island standards--and the owner is obviously proud of his establishment and quality of food, as he should be.

The only suggestion I'd make is for him to give his guests a little more time to themselves to enjoy their meal and the company of their friends. He's a bit overbearing and, although it's interesting to hear about him and his business (and his daughter, who may one day be a famous musician), once is really enough.

That said, I can deal,with it for the location, simple ambience and great food. Don't miss it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
calcer, Owner at Licks Beachside Cafe, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanx for the great and honest review.
I'm glad you enjoyed the food and the service. Yes, I am very proud of my restaurant and the quality of my food.
Thanx for the suggestion and I'm sorry if my talking gave you a bad opinion of Licks.
I'm glad your overall experience at Licks was good.
Thanx again for the great and honest review. I really appreciate you took the time to write it.
Hope to see you again at Licks.

• Greek first
Cuenca, Ecuador
“"Licks For Seafood Soup"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Folks...This is an absolute must.The food,the owner and the staff are great.But what really steals the show is the owners(Mario)girlfriends Seafood Soup.The bowl is huge(more like a small tub) and filled with succulent seafood of every type including lobster tails.A coconut based soup seasoned to perfection and served with coconut rice.
The real testimony to this soup and it's creator is that seven years ago I lost 97% of my taste buds as a result of treatment for throat cancer.This soup is so wonderful that it actually made my mouth stand up and take notice.A first time experience in seven years.On your trip to San Pedro I strongly urge you to pay "Lick's Restaurant" a visit.I wouldn't be surprised if you returned.

calcer, Owner at Licks Beachside Cafe, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanx for the great review.
Yeah, the staff, service and food here at Licks is great.
Yes, My girlfriend is quite the cook and she makes great food.
I'm very glad you enjoyed it, and wow. That is saying something! I'm sorry to hear you lost 97% of your taste buds, but the 3% that are working tasted our soup. Wow. That is something wonderful!
Thanx for the great review!
San Pedro, Belize
“Great dinner to end a day of good meals!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day snuck up on us, while on vacation, and we ended up at Lick's by accident. I'd seen it when we'd arrived by water taxi several days earlier, so after deciding against other, much louder, places, we checked out Lick's. SOOOO glad we did! I had the Coconut Curry Conch and my husband had the grouper. We had wonderful service, tremendous food, and a wonderful view. I wish we'd had more meals here!

calcer, Owner at Licks Beachside Cafe, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanx for the great review.
I'm glad you accidentally found Licks and decided to stop in.
The Coconut Curry Conch and the grouper are excellent dishes.
I'm very glad you enjoyed your Valentine's night with Licks.
Thanx again for the great review.
Mario
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
“The one AC dish you need to try, period!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

They have this dish called Coconut Curry Conch that is absolutely to die for. I went there 4 times in one week and had the same thing and was blown away every time. The owner (?) Mario one day brought out Breadfruit fries which they don't often have but were also incredible. Gotta try to replicate both these at home!

Visited February 2013
calcer, Owner at Licks Beachside Cafe, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanx for the great review!
Yes, the Coconut Curry Conch dish is amazing. I've had it a couple times and am blown away as well at the tastes.
Yes. The Breadfruit fries were delicious and I'm glad you enjoyed them.
Thanx again for the great review and dining with us here at Licks.
Ottawa
“Very fresh seafood ,great service and excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have just returned from our second visit to Licks. We sat on the upper deck overlooking the beach and the reef in the distance.
We had lunch yesterday . I had the deep fried snapper ,very tasty and fresh, my wife had sautéed shrimp dish that was absolutely perfection.
The menu varies according to what the fisherman brings in.
We liked it so much we retuned for dinner the next day.
I had coconut curry conch with rice and beans and corn salad , you get a choice of two sides and you had several to choose from. We both shared fried calamari to start and we have never had such a fresh and tasty calamari. My wife had BBQ shrimp in a tomato BBQ base sauce with coconut rice and green salad , We were too stuffed to try the homemade key lime pie so we will be back to try it.
The service was very attentive and very good
The price $45 plus $5 tip for total $50 . Now that is value .
If you have a negative view of this place I think you have to be very picky person.

calcer, Owner at Licks Beachside Cafe, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanx for the great review of Licks.
The upper deck sure is beautiful.
I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your meals for lunch.
I'm happy that you came back for dinner the next day. The food here at Licks is prepared fresh daily and you get a good quantity of food, so I can see how there was no room for the Key Lime Pie.
Hope you'll be back to try the Key Lime Pie soon. It's delicious.
Thanx again for the great review and I am glad you had a great time at Licks.
Mario