“I love this place and the owners were awesome!” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Tide Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   57 Boca Del Rio Dr, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #37 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Detroit, Michigan
“I love this place and the owners were awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I arrived on Ambergris with a friend without a place to stay. With everyone else turning us away and preparing to sleep on hammocks at the end of any random dock we could find them on, we found the Tides. Oh my God, this family was amazing! They were very nice and after a little begging they gave us a room even though they were technically closed for the night. The room was very basic but clean and bed bug free! And it was so cheap! It’s right on the water and l loved hanging out on the Adirondack style wooden chairs, relaxing with a drink, overlooking the beautiful blue-green water. They have a pool but you also have the sea a few steps away from you. The pool bar now functions as the office. Yeah, they lost their liquor license but who cares. The Ambergris version of K-Mart is an easy walk if you want liquor. This family operates on trust and made us feel very welcome. And make sure you have some cash just in case the credit card machine isn’t working. It was around $50/night and we stayed there in August. Overall this is an awesome place for budget travelers. Beats a hostel any day since the $50 was split between two.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fishers, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

After reading that woman's ridiculous review I feel responsible to give my experience at this resort/dive shop. This woman must think she was staying at a 5 star $500/night resort. Yes this resort is older and things could be in better shape. Then again look at the price you paid. In my experience the staff of the hotel made our stay a memorable one. Everything we asked for they did their very best to provide us with what they had. If you want to stay at a hotel where everything is brand new and you have a servant waiting on you hand and foot then you're going to pay for it. This hotel is very authentic and so are the people that work there. As for Patojo, I have had several dive instructors throughout the Caribbean and he is the best! My father and I dove during the same time this couple did and a storm had just come through. Anybody that knows anything about diving around the reef after a storm knows the waters get very rough. There are only a few channels that boats can get through to get outside the reef. It can be dangerous. Even though Patojo is an excellent instuctor, there is nothing he can do about this except get to the other side the way he has been doing it his whole life, slowly and cautiously. He doesn't tell you where he is going because he decides when he gets out there and finds the best spot for the conditions and what will be the most enjoyable for the divers. I help run a family buisness as Patojo does. And anybody else who does knows that there are some people you just can't make happy. This lady is one of them. If she tried to tell me how to do my job, which I've been doing my whole life, I might have the same reaction. This man is known by everyone on the island and people look up to him. I talked to several of the locals first-hand about him. He has trained many of the dive instuctors on the island at present. In conclusion, disregard that woman's review. I would recommend this resort to any of my family and friends and I am really looking forward to the day I get to dive with Patojo again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay here due to the purportedly good reputation of the dive master/owner Elmer "Patojo" Paz. We arrived in the afternoon and prepared for an afternoon dive. The room wasn't much to look at, and the air conditioner was broken, but again, we came for the diving. I have to say, the experience was so awful that we checked out without staying a single night. Mr. Paz took us out on the boat without telling us the site name at which we would be diving or much else except for trying to sell my husband a wet suit. When I said to Mr. Paz that I am not great on boats and asked him to be gentle, instead he took the boat and drove slowly on the worst part of the waves of the reef and angled the boat in such a way as to make the rocking worse (my husband has been on boats his whole life and confirmed this). Then Mr. Paz finally sped up and informed me that I should see that things go much better when I don't tell him how to do his job. When we arrived at the spot I was very ill, and just wanted to get into the water. As Mr. Paz was roughly putting on my gear (I am certified and could have done it myself, but I was too nauseous to really worry about it), I told him that it wasn't nice to drive the boat that way to teach me a lesson, and that I was now really ill and didn't appreciate his actions - I said this in a soft voice and was quite calm despite feeling unwell. His response was to rip off my gear, and then my husband's, while yelling "I don't need this", and proceeded to unhook the boat from the buoy to take it back to shore. My husband looked distressed at this (he had not heard me), and I wanted to be in the water so badly that I apologized to this bully Mr. Paz several times even though he did not deserve an apology. After again having taught me a lesson (I am 34 years old, by the way. I am neither 12 years old nor this man's daughter.), he put on our gear again and took us below. He told us we should come up at 500 psi of air. In my experience, you never want to be that low on air at the bottom (60-70 ft), but he was this reputed dive master. When my husband reached 500 psi, we motioned to go up. Mr. Paz waived dismissively at us and did not go up. Finally, after more emphatic signalling, he took us up. At this point my husband was at only 300 psi. As should not be surprising, while on our safety stop, my husband ran out of air. Fortunately, that was the moment we were to ascend, so my husband made it up safely. He is also a very good swimmer and did not panic. While we received numerous apologies from the other man on board, and from Mr. Paz's very nice family who help run the hotel and dive shop, Mr. Paz did not apologize. In fact, he did not speak to us again and we did not see him after being helped off the boat by the other man. We immediately went to our shabby room with its broken air conditioner and called other hotels until we found a place to stay. Mr. Paz is a first rate jerk and should be avoided at all costs. I don't even believe he should be allowed to operate considering his flagrant disregard or our safety. My condolences to his lovely family, who at least did not try to charge us any more than the cost of the one abysmal dive.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Nothing fancy, but big, clean rooms. Huge, firm beds, decent bathrooms, showers. Good location, close to many of the San Pedro's hot spots, but just outside the noisy zone. Great amenities for divers, the family that runs The Tides was attentive and helpful, I felt they were genuinely dedicated to giving their guests the best experience possible for their buck. Patojo was very free with the use of his snorkeling gear for us non-diver guests while he was was out guiding those who were. The long dock and easy water access at the end provided a good opportunity to see small rays!

Room Tip: We were fortunate to have the top floor South end unit, which gave us big windows on two sides, and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had a wonderful 11 nights at The Tides. Rooms very clean, staff very friendly and helpful. The owner takes pride in this family fun business and this shows with the diving and the hotel. We would come back here in an instant. The views from the top floor are a joy to wake up to. Patojo is very professional dive operator with lots of experience. Hotel close to town, walking distance to everything.

Room Tip: Rooms at top have best view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ROCKFORD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I travel a lot and do not want to spend all our money on lodging. I have been to San Pedro before and paid 5 times as much as lodging costs here. The tides is for the budget to mid range traveler who wants a real clean place to stay that is safe. This hotel's location is excellent. It is in San Pedro - walking distance to everything..right down the beach. If you stay north or south you need wheels....here you can rent a cart for a day to explore those places yet have everything else to walk to. The tides has a small pool, balcony to sit and look at the ocean, dock right out the front and the best dive instruction. I did not take lessons but talked with him every day. Rays right under the dock..walk to wet willy's and snorkle under that dock..fish, fish, fish. Most important the owners were very very nick

Room Tip: The high school is next door so some people say you should ask to be away from them..I did not have...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Erie, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Tides and Patojo's Dive Shop are owned and operated by a wonderful Belizean family who really care about their customers. On dive trips, Patojo and his staff do everything except breathe for you. He asks divers what they want to see, and then he delivers. This trip we swam with the ever elusive whale shark(once in a lifetime) and also saw a hammerhead in the deep waters. If you are a new diver or inexperienced, Patojo is the person to dive with. He's an excellent instructor and very patient and helpful. The hotel is close to town and right on the beach. Easy walking distance to anything you need. It's well kept and the rooms have a beautiful view of the Caribbean. I am sure we will stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Tide Beach Resort? Share your experiences!