“Good Value but Thin Walls” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ruby's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ruby's Hotel
You added Ruby's Hotel to your Saves list
Barrier Reef Dr. | P.O. Box 56, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #43 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Adelaide, Australia
“Good Value but Thin Walls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

A clean, well-maintained hostel, with prices a tad below average. The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable, but quite minimal otherwise. We stayed in a private room, though for the price we expected a bit more in terms of facilities. The upstairs rooms are more expensive for a sea view.
The only problem we encountered was the noise. The walls seemed to keep out none of the neighbourhood noise, with music from the nearby bar clearly audible, and morning traffic a daily wake-up call. We also had a romantically involved couple next door keep us awake on more than one occasion.
That aside, a very clean and affordable place to stay. Definitely worth a look.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Austin TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I can't say enough good things about Ruby's. First of all, the price; it is by far the most inexpensive place we found on the island. And that's just the beginning. We rented a wonderful, simple room on the 3rd floor overlooking the Caribbean for an unbelievable price. For those wanting luxury accomodations, please do go elsewhere, because part of Ruby's charm is the simplicity and the laid back atmosphere. Tiffany at the front desk (Hi Tiffany!) was friendly (like everyone I met on the island) and greeted us with a smile. The room was clean and comfortable, and again, overlooking the sea. Waking up to the sound of the waves breaking on the reef, walking onto the balcony watching the sun rise over the palm lined beach, watching the local Maya women carry blankets on their heads and local kids going to school, everything was beautiful. The ladies at Ruby's Cafe downstairs will liven your morning with friendly smiles, conversation, coffee, fresh-squeezed OJ, and Johnny Cakes. Again, I can't say enough great things about this place and San Pedro in genereal. Everyone greeted us with a smile and a hello and werer happy to stop and talk about whatever. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay at a charming place. I will be back as soon as possible.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

Accommodation on San Pedro is relatively expensive for what you get so this hotel is a good choice for inexpensive accommodation. We paid around 70 BLZ dollars (35 USD) for a double room and the hotel is in a great location at the bottom end of San Pedro Town. If you are looking for somewhere just to put your head down at night then this might be OK for you, the hotel is quite dated though and not all that clean but then you do get what you pay for. The staff are accommodating and were were able to use showers etc and store luggage even after we had checked out.

BKLYN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Really, let's not harsh out Ruby's. 30 bucks a night, what can you expect? It was a terrific value, compared to other options on the Caye. The service was great, the coffee was cheap, and honestly, if you are spending a ton of time in your hotel room whilst in San Pedro, there is something seriously wrong with you. Can't wait to return!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

You have everything you need, great location, in the middle of everything. Do not expect luxuary. One extra point for price.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

I stayed with my husband at ruby's for 2 nights. Reception was very uninviting, it felt like we were disturbing. The room was bare, like a kitchenette had been taken out. Bright blue walls and slippery tile floor. The bathroom was the worst. Broken tile, limescale and rust on anything stainless and lots of ants. The towels had runny red color on them from the ruby's hotel mark someone had scribbled on and big holes. We asked for new towels but they said they were out of them...
No view from the balcony to speak of, nice to see palmtrees I guess, but you get a beach hotel for the beach view.
People were sitting on the veranda right next to our balcony and could see everything. Really thin walls so we could hear everything around us (neighbours talking, cars, music from 2 bars etc)
However, the bed was super
comfortable, the sheets were thin (great in that weather, who wants a
duvet in the heat?) and the A/C was
cooling and very quiet.
And the breakfast we had at the adjoining cafe was amazing. Round sandwich with ham and cheese, coffee and orange juice. Great to bring on the boatride to chetumal.

• Stayed December 2009
Kodiak Island, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

Sorry to all the Ruby/Belize lovers out there, but I absolutely hated this hotel. My husband and I flew to Cancun on AK Airline companion tickets in about '03. I really should have checked out of this hotel right away, as there appeared to be a lot of nice places around. My bad. As I become more versed in traveling, I will check out the next time a hotel is unsatisfactory. At any rate, my husband and I took a bus from Cancun to Playa del Carmen. We stayed the night there coming and going out of Mexico. We stayed at a great place, about a block from the beach, great location, with an attached restaurant, excellent food, tiled floor, 2 beds, TV, the works, nice, for about $50 US. It was right in the middle of town, with another great restaurant that we tried, great food, looking down to a mariache band playing. Anyway, we took a nice bus from Playa del Carmen to Chetumal, (not a chicken bus, but this one was air conditioned and played American movies, dubbed in Spanish, &/or with Spanish subtitles,) a taxi across the boarder and a small plane to whatever island Ruby's was on. I can't remember now. My husband loved Belize, but I hated it. I guess that's why I didn't mention checking out, as to not to rain on his parade. Belize was just very hot, incredibly poor, kids running around with no shoes, very poor stores, no breaze, and no waves. Unlike Hawaii, the perfect 77 degree temp. at all times, this island was stagnantly hot. My husband however, as I said, loved it. He went fishing most days. We rented some old rickety bikes, I'm pretty sure through the hotel. I went on a zoo/cave tubing trip one day. It was neat to see the cats at the zoo. And a boat tour, where people could snorkel. It had a glass bottom, and not much to see. I couldn't wait to leave Belize. Well, back to the hotel, it was the most barest room I ever stayed in. Nothing but a bed. No TV, no nothing. Thin comforter. Worn sheets. Pancake flat pillows. The door did open to the beach. There were some local characters who sat outside on the deck. They looked pretty salty, and from unintentionally overhearing their conversation, (because we sat on the deck, too,) it sounded like they were sailors, living on their boats. They would drink coffee in the morning, on the deck, and in the evening drink beer. There was a hole-in-the wall place that sold stuffed meat pies that my husband just loved. He thought it was the life, fishing during the day, drinking coffee and eating the meat pies. He was so happy there, and remembers Belize fondly. Thus, again, I kept my mouth shut about the accommodations, not wanting to rain on his parade. At any rate, I was so happy to get on that little plane and fly out of this island, San Pedro, I think was it's name? take the cab back across the boarder and go back to Mexico. I'm know this is just personal taste, my aversion to the tropics, but my husband loves Guatamela, Mexico, and the like, whereas I prefer western countries. I'm not a big Mexico fan, but I'll tell you, I was so happy to get back to Playa del Carmen. That whole area had so many more amenities, nice restaurants, beautiful rolling ocean, and things to do, for cheap, too. One could have even hopped a flight to Cuba, which interested me, (even though it's illegal for US residents.) Anyway, sorry to all the Rubys'/Belize lovers out there, and I know there are many, but neither was my cup of tea. It just leaves more room for those who love it, eh?

• Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Ruby's Hotel? Share your experiences!