“Just my opinion but...Find A Different Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Coconuts Caribbean Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Coconut Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #49 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
A TripAdvisor Member
“Just my opinion but...Find A Different Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

I have to say that the hotel looks like nothing like we expected, or the pictures we saw. We should have know we were going to be in for lots of surprises when the hotel didn't have our reservations, and the girl at the front desk said it was Priceline's fault not their’s. We had booked a suite; they were kind enough to put us in a double bed room but had to move on the third day because the room was reserved for others. Ok, their complimentary listings. There are no complimentary shuttles, paper or breakfast. They do however provide you with a jug of water, cookies, and trail size Fritos, coffee, tea and sugar which was great. They list on the webpage complimentary shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel; the girl behind the counter said “we do not”. It's listed in their amenities. Their complimentary continental breakfast as listed in their amenities cost $15.00bz or $7.50us. Their complimentary newspaper every morning (as listed in their amenities) is also not available/complimentary. The wireless service was only operable if you were in rooms close enough to the front office where their "Linksys wireless service could reach". Probably a good thing, since we were on vacation. The pool was very murky, their spa/jacuzzi was filled with bubbles which overflowed onto their tile area, they finally covered it. Their beachfront was ok, but the inlet/water area was not swim able, or even usable to cool off. There is a huge construction barge to the right of the hotel which looks like a garbage barge. The food was cafeteria quality, I had the chicken soup which was cold and tasted like a tin can (spouses description). The rooms: there is hot water which is a major plus, but the water pressure is like a leaky facet, at least the water is hot. The beds (and we tried three of them, the two in the first room and the one in our second room) were very very hard, but the sheets and blankets were clean. Their complimentary DVD, CD, Cassette players, well I don't know if they exist I just know we didn't have them in either one of our rooms. Again a good thing since we were on vacation. The TV worked and carried numerous channels, that is when the cable wasn't going out, again a good thing since we were on vacation.

The staff was very friendly and tried their best to make you feel welcomed, so if your going to enjoy what the island has to offer and the hotel is not important then the Coconut is not bad, especially if you go with no expectations. But dollar for dollar you can get your monies worth somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2006

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

oh my gosh! tthis hotely was so amazing!!! It was a perfect getaway for me and my husband Benji. We spent alot of time on the beutiful beaches. I would definately recomend it to those new to Belize.

• Stayed February 2006
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

I was pleasantly suprised by this hotel.

The rooms were clean with very good (new) AC, and cieling fan. My small room had a frig and microwave which was very convenient. And I had a great view of the beach. Also, I was right above the restaurant but couldn't here a thing because the walls and floor was cement.

The people there were very nice, and the free internet really helped me out. The restaurant wasn't great, but go to George's across the street for breakfast and/or lunch- opens at 7AM - he and Ann-Marie are the best and make wonderful food.

Dive shops will pick you up at Woody's Wharf, so it isn't a big deal that you are a bit outside of town, and the advantage of being outside of town is the beaches are nicer south of town. Unfortunately, my one complaint was that the water pressure in the showers was very low, so it was difficult to wash my gear after each day's diving.

BTW, I dove the Blue Hole with Amigos del Mar, and I'd recommend them for that dive since they have a lot of experience there and they have a large comfortable boat for the two hour ride; however, for local dives I was much happier with AquaDives. Their employees were much nicer and more helpful, whereas Amigos seemed kind of full of themselves.

It should be noted that the beach at Coconuts will disappoint some. It is right next to a small industrial pier. Every day, a barge floated in, docked and unloaded, often unloading sand and gravel into trucks which was kind of noisy. Along with that, the beach is up by the bar which plays music all day, so if you just want to listen to the sea, you may be disappointed. Finally, you won't want to swim right off the beach since there's sea grass in the shallows, but this is no different than all of Ambrigris Caye as far as I could see. And you can walk to the end of Woody's Wharf to swim. To solve the beach issue, I just walked up or down the beach and found nicer beaches to hang out on, but I was there in the off-season, so I'm not sure how easy that would be in high season.

So, the bottom line is: if you want to hang out at the beach, I'd look elsewhere. But if you go to Ambrigris Caye to dive, and I don't know why you'd go there otherwise, then this is a solid choice for a place to stay.

• Stayed May 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

Coconuts is a good place to stay at. The staff is helpful and make arrangements if you want to do a snorkeling/dividng tour. There is A/C in the rooms, cable TV (although it wouldn't have mattered either way to us), and free snacks and water in the room. The only odd thing was that the room had the shower in it as opposed to it being in the bathroom. The pool had been empty when we arrived and it took the full two days we were there to fill it up so needless to say, we couldn't indulge. They have a pier where you can be picked up for any snorkeling or diving tours which is very convenient. They have a nice beach to lay in the shade of the palm trees and relax. The restaurant is nice although the service is s-l-o-w. San Pedro is MUCH busier than Caye Caulker: there are tons of cars, golf carts, and bicylces everywhere which make is diffcult to walk around. There are actual golf cart traffic jams at times. And watch out for people selling time shares and encouraging you to check out new hotel developments. We only encountered one guy, but it is an annoyance. Eat at Elvi's - good food and good service. Fido's is also a good place to drop by for bar food and drinks. If you're looking for a quiet, slow pace, don't stay in San Pedro. Stay in Caye Caulker.

• Stayed March 2006
Charleston SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2006

We just got back from this hotel and loved it. Yes it has a dock next door, but it was not loud at all. The staff was VERY nice and friendly. We asked if there was a larger room and were given an upgrade at no additional charge. Room was nice. Breakfast was the only meal we ate there but it was good. My only comment is that if you want to be in town - stay closer. We walked everyday for lunch (about 20 minutes) and found it to be a great way to exercise and spend the morning, but at night we ended up taking a cab to dinner because it was easier.

We would stay here again because it was exactly what we needed - peace and quiet with a beautiful view, friendly staff and nice room.

Stayed January 2006
Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2005

I love this hotel, it had a great view of the beach and the rooms were clean. The hotel looks pretty and luxurious. The staff were so nice and I has a great time there. I loved the outside Jaccuzi and free internet .

I will definitely come back this hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2005

We just got back from spending 5 nights at Coconuts hotel. The only reason we stayed there was because it was the only place we could find during spring break. The good things about this hotel are that it has A/C, a mini fridge, mirco, and it was clean. The bad things were that it is pretty far from town, very small and basic, HARD beds, not much of a beach with a working port right next to it, the hot tub wasn't working half of the time, the water was out one day, and the restaurant was pretty marginal. The website said we would receive free breakfast and 10 minutes of free calls to the states each day. However once we checked in we were told that it changed management a few months eariler and neither would apply. I wouldn't stay here again, there are too many other nicer places that are closer to town and offer better amenities. My choice would be Ramon's or Sun Breeze.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Coconuts Caribbean Resort? Share your experiences!