“Vacation spot where you feel at home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast

You added Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   36 Coconut Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 16 San Pedro B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Vacation spot where you feel at home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I just finished the most wonderful trip to Belize! Coming from Caye Caulker, we checked in to ChiL on a Thursday for 3 nights. Even though we were 2 hours early, Renita let us check in. She personally showed us around the property and we were pleased with our clean, air-conditioned room. I know some of the reviews talk about how its on the smaller size but who comes to Belize to hang out in their hotel room? Pictures do not do the courtyard justice. It is such a comfortable place to sit and read or nap in the hammock. There is nice music always playing and it gets shade and breeze. We never used the outdoor shower but it seemed like a nice touch.

Pros:
*Shelf (matches your room number) in the community fridge, stocked with bottled water and cold beers (this was extremely convenient).
*The gorgeous and under crowded pool next door at the yacht club. We were the only ones there one day, and had the swim up bar all to ourselves
*Renita and Cindy go out of their way to help you. Renita set up a Valentines day dinner for us, at a great spot, while the sun went down. They also gave us a ride into town one day, on their personal golf cart.
*Breakfast. Always delicious, but I have to give a shout out to the French Toast which was the best I've ever had, complete with a homemade, rum-infused maple syrup.
*We were pleasantly surpised to find our bed made and new towels put into our room on the second day.
*Excellent staff. We spent the most time with Josemar, who was polite, helpful and always happy.

Cons:
*Leaving

I'd recommend staying here to anyone. ChiL will not just be a place you stay, it will be one of the greatest memories of your trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I so appreciate you and the many nice things you shared!! Today was a bad day! I think we had the worst guest in 9 years. Seeing your review reminds me why I do this. I, Esther, Cindy, Josimar, we all try so hard to understand guest & that they save some times years to go just to go on vacation. So we do all we can and inquire while you are here as to what we can do more to make your stay great here and in Belize. I think that's what makes us good. So thanks, for the kind words!! You reminded me to forget the bad and remember the good! Come back again and again to Belize... it's such a hidden treasure. Get back before they "pave paradise an put up a parking lot". Thanks RDD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

There are lots of rules when you stay at Changes in Latitude. Make sure you learn them or you risk being told off. Don't be late for breakfast, don't take the wrong bike, don't bring friends back to the property....don't relax too much on your holiday...!
On the plus side:
This B&B is in a good location, the staff are super nice and helpful in arranging tours. One of the owners (Renita) is friendly. Our room was ok - very small - but was good value for money. The courtyard is a pleasant place to hang out. It's great that they have an arrangement with Ramon's Village so you can walk a few steps along the beach and hang out on their beach chairs and hammocks. The breakfasts are good.
On the negative side:
One of the owners (Susie) seemed to take a dislike to us right from the start (I think because we asked for an iron which she seemed to think was unnecessary) and was very unfriendly to us throughout our stay. This spoiled things a little as otherwise we thought this was a good find and a nice place to stay while in San Pedro.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello "Single Gal's"! Possibly you chose the wrong location for your vacation..oops! It happens! As one of the owners, (Renita) I thought I would reply. Yes you are correct breakfast is only served up to a certain time of the day...Sorry we have only 6 rooms and over the years we've come up with a fair time we feel meets most travelers of our B&B. I work all day Saturdays to give my staff the day off and so I can keep a gauge on the business. I was your cook/server that told you when you arrived after breakfast hours. I thought I reminded you of the hours politely, but if not I'm sorry and I'll re-adjust my delivery for the next late comers. Even though I did serve you breakfast when you arrived late. I do recall you said "this is the BEST French Toast I you ever had". So it sounded like you liked the food, and only wished we would serve later. I'll consider that, THANKS!! In my title I said, maybe you chose the wrong location for your vacation, as we are are not used to our guests having late night visitors to the rooms. We have full time security that tries to secure you at all times from vendors, persons who might break into a room, etc. When the staff discretely asked about the wee hours of the morning comings and goings based on security notes, we were just trying to make sure you intended for such a visitor. Might I make a suggestion, next time you stay somewhere small like us...let the staff (or the owner) know you "might" have visitor and we'll advise security as well. WE DO allow for our guests to invite visitors we don't mind at all! However local guys coming and going at late hours just concerned us. So that is why we discretely asked you "if you were ok?" Heck I didn't even know about it until you wrote the review...so it was no big deal for us. Sorry you felt you could not have guests visit you. Oops on yours and our part, possibly.
With regards to the bike...that was simply another oops. You two gal's asked for bike keys and I gave them to you as we keep all the bikes locked at all times. However for some reason you choose to only take one of the assigned (by #) "locked guest bikes", disregarded the other bike I gave you a key for.....and instead you took our housekeeper’s bike. I recall this because the cleaner thought someone had stolen hers. All our bikes have plates that say Changes In Latitudes, and come with keys and locks. Again sorry, that you thought it was a problem, it was not. And last but not least...there is no one here at all by the name of Susie, so not sure who you are referring to. I do recall you asking for the iron, the night I knocked on your door. It was after business hours 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. If you recall I was just popping in and seeing if anyone wanted FREE ticket to the Kelly McGuire show. A $50 value...as someone at Crazy Canucks (a local bar) was giving them way. At that time you asked for the iron, I could not locate it at the B&B, so I personally went to my home and brought you mine. Seems room # 6 had the iron out on loan and did not return it to the common area. In 9 years of business, I've never had two rooms want an iron at the same time. Seems I need to buy another iron. I'll do that soon. We are a small hotel with personalized service that in this case seemed to be "possible" over - care on our part. Thanks for the review!! We'll pull back the reins a bit and consider all you have shared. BIG thanks for the positives you shared here and we hope you enjoyed San Pedro, as I'm sure San Pedro enjoyed having you both!!

Renita
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our third trip to San Pedro in a year. We could not get a room where we stayed before. However did we make a best choice!! Changes in Latitudes is terrific!
The staff and owners are awesome! They make you feel as if you are at home. This is definitely the best bargain in San Pedro. Renita and Cindy are very friendly and knowledgeable about the island. Esther makes the best breakfasts ever! Josimar was helpful and fun to talk to.
The garden area is beautiful and a relaxing place to spend the afternoon.
Another good idea they have is to provide Belikin beer and water at cost--in the refrigerator anytime you want it without having to go out!
We were here for Kelly McGuire's Birthday Bash and it was a bonus that some of the artists stayed at Latitudes.

All in all a great trip and we can't wait to come back! Renita, Cindy, Esther, and Josimar--see you next year!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the garden side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! Hope to see you again soon!
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

When I dreamed of San Pedro (a la Madonna), I never could have expected to uncover such a gem of a place. From the time I inquired about availability to booking to the millions of questions I had in advance of my trip to my arrival/stay to being dropped off by Renita at the airport, I was impressed every step of the way by Changes In Latitudes. It's a very special place, and very unique for San Pedro. Only about a 10-minute walk south of town, it's worlds away from the sterile budget options that proliferate in the centre and much more accessible than many of the large resorts.
Cindy and Renita have created a really welcoming, laid back environment. I stayed in Room 1, which was perfect. It wasn't huge, but spacious enough, clean, well maintained and very cozy and comfortable. Everything worked well -- plugs, AC, Internet. The garden sitting area was incredible. Well designed, lots of seating options (whether you wanted to socialize or have quiet time to catch up on emails) and a great place to relax after a busy day of adventures. Changes attracts a great clientele -- friendly travelers who want to get to know other guests over the great (included!) breakfasts or evening drinks, but also want to relax in a quiet, chill environment. It was perfect. And as a solo female traveler, I welcomed the "family" style vibe and the safety/security that I felt at all times.
Cindy and Renita run a tight ship. They have been on the island long enough to know the ins and outs and they transfer all of that knowledge willingly to their guests. With so many options for activities, adventures, dining and nightlife, Cindy and Renita help make it as seamless as possible by not only recommending reputable companies but going the extra mile to arrange everything. I snorkeled and dove while I was there, and both companies they connected me with were fantastic. And the best part? All I had to do was get ready and be at the end of the dock at the right time for pick up. No arrangements, no phone calls, no back and forth. Changes took care of all of that for me. And that allowed me to just focus on having fun and enjoying the experience to the max.
I had an amazing time while I was in San Pedro, and much of that can be attributed to Cindy, Renita and the great staff at Changes in Latitudes.

Room Tip: I was in room 1. Decorated in a nautical theme. It has a bunk bed and ample shelving. Bonus: the Int...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you! We expect to see you again next year!!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've felt bad for not posting this review for the last few years. I meant to do it, but kept putting it off. My wife and I stayed here in March 2010.

The B&B was fantastic, and the owners had great knowledge to lend on what to do and where to go. The whole experience was very easy and the owners helped us with bookings for snorkeling tours and even flights to the island!

Really a wonderful place, well located within walking distance to downtown and many restaurants. Can't say enough good things about the owners.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
latitudesbelize, Manager at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Thanks so much for our great 10 days! I keep coming back to Changes because of the way you make us feel like we are coming home! The facilities and breakfasts just keep getting better every year; your place has everything a traveler needs, and nothing they don't- the best value on the island! We will be back next year, hopefully I'll book far enough in advance to get the "nest" upstairs....thanks again-

Terry

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thanks so much and we look forward to having you back!!
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We love this place! Went last August and had a blast again. Stayed in the nest upstairs, and it was wonderful--it can certainly get you lost in the fantasy that you're actually living there. Very comfortable, "I'm at home" atmosphere. The folks operating this place are absolutely great, and can rival any concierge service. Breakfasts, evening get-togethers, out for dinners, they absolutely aim to keep their guests comfortable. I don't really know what else to say...if you want a wonderful stay, off of the big box resort hotel room, definitely try Lattitudes. I never want to leave, once there! We are currently looking into getting back to BZ again in the very near future, and yes, take the kids this time! They love it too, and want to go back as well. Bottom line; you cannot go wrong staying here. ew

Room Tip: If you are in a small group or with kids, definitely ask for the nest upstairs.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
latitudesbelize, Owner at Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thanks so much Eric and Lucy! Can't wait for your third visit!!