“Not clean, poor service and cockroaches!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book 3 Nights, Get 1 FREE
Ranked #41 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Chicago, Illinois
“Not clean, poor service and cockroaches!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I am usually an easy customer. If a business makes the slightest effort - I'm happy. This was not the case here. The room had a cockroach. I'm sure there was more. The room seemed clean, but if you look just a little... There are huge amounts of dustballs (like on the lamp). Several times I asked the front desk for help and they couldnt be bothered. It was like pulling teeth to get any answers. We would have stayed several night, but moved out after one night!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

This is my second review, from my April trip back home to my counrty Belize. I stayed at mayan Princess 2 days out of my 4 days going back home. What I have to say about this hotel, I was there, so I seen it for myself, it is a wonderful hotel to stay, the staff was so helpful, and we had continental breakfast too, homemade Belizean Johnny Cakes and Creole Buns, fresh fruits, I didnot expect breakfast with my price for the suite for 3 people they were so professional. the hotel suites was spanking clean, and what a beauty you had the caribbean sea in your face every morning you open the big white balcony doors. The hotel location is right down town San Pedro, the hotel is in very safe area, and we feel really safe walking around at night time. "BIG UP TO MAYAN PRINCESS". I will come back and see you soon.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We are from Mexico and we live in Playa del Carmen, my girlfriend and I worked in hotels and our point of view is a bit different from a regular traveler, we went to San Pedro by the weekend and we had no reservations in any hotel, by accident we found the Hotel Mayan Princess and the girl who was at the reception was friendly and offered us the room, I was hungry and did not wante to be walking in the street looking for a hotel room, without seeing the room we paid for the night and think to look for a different hotel after dinner, but when we entered to the room we discovered that it had, king size bed, bathtub in the shower, kitchen, living room and what we liked the most was that it had a very large balcony and just by the sea!, each day the cleaning was very good, the reception does not speak much but is nice overall, as Mexicans we speak Spanish and they did their best to respond in Spanish as well, in general the hotel services are good and nice, definitely we will return to this hotel and this time will be with friends!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I am staying in Belize for the summer (Ladyville), and wanted to travel to the Cayes for the weekend. A friend suggested the Mayan Princess and against my better judgement, (I usually stay at the Blue Tang Inn) I checked in. The price was very reasonable for the low season-$65 U,S. per night, and the room seemed clean and spacious. Upon arriving, however, we found a dead flying cockroach (3-4 inches long) in the hallway. That evening, we rested on the veranda and begin to notice little upkeep issues, such as stained tables, cracked tile, but, nothing serious. I went to the bathroom a little later and found a very alive flying cockroach in the trashcan. My friend soon found one in the kitchen. We contacted the night employee on duty, and he graciously agreed to spray while we stepped out for half and hour or so. After a very stiff drink to calm my nerves, I returned to the hotel, to find 7-8 dead cockroaches all over the floor! We immediately inquired about checking out and finding alternative arrangements for the night, but, by 11 p.m., this would have been impossible. Also, my friend attempted to take a shower, and the handle broke off in her hand, and as a result, water ran into the bathtub all night. We checked out of the hotel the next morning at 7 a.m., with a full refund in hand, and checked into the Blue Tang Inn (Home-sweet-home).

Although the staff was wonderful and accomodating, I cannot recommend the Mayan Princess. The owners/management are cutting far too many corners in the maintaining of this hotel (peeling paint, bugs, plumbing problems), and as a result, the guests suffer. I'd recommend the Blue Tang, it's farther up the beach, much more private, and clean.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We reserved several rooms at the Mayan Princess with a large group (35+ students from the US). The booking was easy/fast and we were offered a good group rate ($34 per person, plus free pick up/drop off from the water taxi). Our only requirements when accommodating such a large group is that the rooms are clean with AC and MP had exactly that. The rooms were even equipped with a sitting area and kitchens. Also, MP is literally right on the beach. Rooms that are ocean facing were the best. Breakfast is typically bread and fruit, but there are plenty of great Belizean restaurants a few steps away. Two students complained of losing money, but when they spoke to the management, the mgt replaced the money and also told us that it has never happened before. Weeks later, the manager emailed me to tell me that we had left behind computer chargers, an Ipod and several other items. She offered to ship them to me and I received them today, which is why I'm posting this review right now. Overall, great management, clean, AC, right on the beach with kitchens/living rooms. This place was all that we could ask for on our trip.

• Stayed June 2010
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I stayed here with my husband and friends while touring San Pedro for a couple of days. The room was clean, and the personnel was very polite and friendly. Food is not included in this small hotel, but you have a wide selection of nearby restaurants in this small island. You can also buy food and prepare it in the room, since there is a small kitchen area. This place made our stay even more memorable.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Stayed there 2 nights with my sister. The bathroom smelled like sewer gas and some other cleanliness issues. Gunk and dead flies in window tracks; they hadn't been cleaned in awhile. Also coffee table had cracks in the glass and table on balcony had a big chunk out of it. View and location was good for a few days but liked hotel further out better. Also had ants in kitchen and we didn't have food out.

• Stayed March 2010

Been to Mayan Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!