I had the MOST HORRIFYING hotel experience of my life at Banana Beach. On the fourth day of a five night stay my boyfriend and I went out on a full day sail/scuba tour with another couple. We were out in the sun all day and I made the rookie mistake of not drinking enough water. Upon arriving back in our room I started feeling nauseous/woozy and ended up fainting on the tile floor on my way to the bathroom (symptomatic of severe sun poisoning.) My boyfriend heard the fall, saw me laying on the floor, and rushed to the front desk so he could get medical help.
The hotel manager plus several front desk staff came into the room as I was just regaining consciousness, still lying on the floor. Immediately after entering the doorway, the staff started yelling at me and my boyfriend that we were too drunk, had gotten in a fight, and if we got any more complaints they were going to call the police. Mind you, it was my boyfriend who had come to them to get help in the first place, but they immediately jumped to conclusions based on the sight of my bloodied face and refused to be reasoned with.
The most horrifying part of the whole ordeal was that NOT ONCE did any of the staff ask if I was okay or offer to help me in any way. Our friends (who were not staying at the hotel) approached the front desk to try to get information about nearby medical clinics or doctors, and the manager replied that he wasn't going to bother a doctor, we had just gotten too drunk and I'd be fine. When our friends responded that they had been with us all day, we were sober and had not been fighting, the manager just shook his head and still refused to provide any assistance.
I am still in disbelief that the manager would refuse to help a guest that clearly needed medical attention. Even if I could get over the fact that he assumed that I had been injured as the result of being either too drunk or the victim of domestic violence (both of which couldn't be further from the truth,) he was in no position to judge that I would "be ok." I had obviously suffered a contusion to the head and the staff chose to do nothing (except for threatening to call the cops if we disturbed any guests!)
Now that I am fully recovered, the ordeal seems so absurd that it borders on comical, but it's horrifying to know that someone else might be placed in the same situation, needing emergent care while the staff turns a blind eye. Everyone else we met in Belize was over-the-top nice and accommodating, and this was the one and only blemish on the trip. DO NOT STAY AT BANANA BEACH!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The friendliest resort sitting on the powdery sand of Mar de Tumbo Beach just south of San Pedro Town on the Ambergris Caye of Belize, Banana Beach Resort has been a haven of fun, adventure, and relaxation for more than 10 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Banana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banana Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Banana Beach San Pedro
- Banana Beach Belize
- Banana Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro