“Do not stay here! Hotel management refuses medical treatment for guest!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Banana Beach Resort

You added Banana Beach Resort to your Saves list
Banana Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Sea Grape Drive | PO Box 94, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize   |
Ranked #41 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
San Francisco
“Do not stay here! Hotel management refuses medical treatment for guest!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I had the MOST HORRIFYING hotel experience of my life at Banana Beach. On the fourth day of a five night stay my boyfriend and I went out on a full day sail/scuba tour with another couple. We were out in the sun all day and I made the rookie mistake of not drinking enough water. Upon arriving back in our room I started feeling nauseous/woozy and ended up fainting on the tile floor on my way to the bathroom (symptomatic of severe sun poisoning.) My boyfriend heard the fall, saw me laying on the floor, and rushed to the front desk so he could get medical help.

The hotel manager plus several front desk staff came into the room as I was just regaining consciousness, still lying on the floor. Immediately after entering the doorway, the staff started yelling at me and my boyfriend that we were too drunk, had gotten in a fight, and if we got any more complaints they were going to call the police. Mind you, it was my boyfriend who had come to them to get help in the first place, but they immediately jumped to conclusions based on the sight of my bloodied face and refused to be reasoned with.

The most horrifying part of the whole ordeal was that NOT ONCE did any of the staff ask if I was okay or offer to help me in any way. Our friends (who were not staying at the hotel) approached the front desk to try to get information about nearby medical clinics or doctors, and the manager replied that he wasn't going to bother a doctor, we had just gotten too drunk and I'd be fine. When our friends responded that they had been with us all day, we were sober and had not been fighting, the manager just shook his head and still refused to provide any assistance.

I am still in disbelief that the manager would refuse to help a guest that clearly needed medical attention. Even if I could get over the fact that he assumed that I had been injured as the result of being either too drunk or the victim of domestic violence (both of which couldn't be further from the truth,) he was in no position to judge that I would "be ok." I had obviously suffered a contusion to the head and the staff chose to do nothing (except for threatening to call the cops if we disturbed any guests!)

Now that I am fully recovered, the ordeal seems so absurd that it borders on comical, but it's horrifying to know that someone else might be placed in the same situation, needing emergent care while the staff turns a blind eye. Everyone else we met in Belize was over-the-top nice and accommodating, and this was the one and only blemish on the trip. DO NOT STAY AT BANANA BEACH!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I wasn't overly impressed with Banana Beach Resort however I spent most of the week scuba diving so I really just needed a place to sleep and the price was right. If you're looking for a nice resort I would recommend Ramon's or The Phoenix.
Banana Beach is a fair trek away from town, which would normally appeal to me, but in Ambergris Caye you really want to stay closer to town for better food options.
The restaurant at Banana Beach is incredibly over-priced and the quality doesn't measure up. The staff here are friendly but honestly, they're friendly everywhere in Ambergris Caye/San Pedro. They claim to have a really great beach, but it's VERY small and there's a breaker wall in front so you can't actually walk into the ocean from the property.
Overall, it's a decent spot, clean etc, but underwhelming if you're looking for something nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bethesda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for four nights. The quality of the property and amenities is average. Upon move-in, we found that both the bathtub and the sink were clogged. Took two calls to resolve. The beach is not great - lots of sea grass. Wifi is only available at the restaurant and only sporadically. The signal is so weak that you literally have to be inside the restaurant or within two meters of it - no signal in hotel lobby or other common areas... And once there are more than 5-6 people trying to connect, the signal just disappears. This happened every one of the four days that we stayed.

Biggest annoyance was the "Monkey Business" shop on premises. We reserved a golf cart one day for the following morning but when we came to pick it up, it was not available. The staff did not care to make any extra effort to correct the situation, e.g. call a different shop, and basically just sat there and shrug shoulders.

Overall, I would not stay again at this hotel and would not recommend it to others.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Banana Beach resort offered clean spacious rooms at a very reasonable cost. The staff were AWESOME! All of the staff are friendly, helpful, courteous, knowledgeable of events and activities in the area. The beach was very well groomed, and a pleasure to lounge on while enjoying the beauty of the ocean. I will be staying there again !!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Belize City, Belize
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

six ladies wanted somewhere to stay for an overnight to enjoy the beautiful little town of San Pedro. We decided to stay at The Banana Beach Resort and we werent dissapointed. Our rooms were standard balcony rooms. The rooms were nice and clean and the beds were very comfortable.
We enjoyed our stay at this resort as it suited our needs. The American and Belizean breaksfast that we had was very good.
Special thanks goes out to Shawna our reservation personel who was very professional, courteous and friendly and took care of our needs. Thanks Shawna keep up the great work!. Our bartender Marlon was awesome mixing up some of the best rum punch that I have ever tasted. Anna our front desk clerk was warm and helpful thanks Anna.
We rented golf cart rental from Island adventures who prices were very reasonable as the resort is located couple minutes from the town located on the south side of San Pedro.

We enjoyed lunch at this local restaurant Waraguma the food was awesome and the prices very resonable.
We really enjoyed our stay. The food was great, the staff was very professional and helpful and the resort was clean what more could you ask for when looking for a great place to stay while enjoying the beauty of La Isla Bonita!!!!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Palm trees on the beach, waves gently washing on to the sand and the reflection of the full moon rising up over the sea are what you may hope for at a seaside hotel. This is exactly what you get at the Banana Lodge Resort. It is a reasonable distance from the airport and town centre to be away from the noise and bustle, but close enough to get an inexpensive taxi ride to restaurants that would do nicely for dinner. Room 217 set above the passage from the swimming pool to the beach is perfectly set for the wonderful view to be framed between palm trees. The large bedroom with two good sized double beds and the adjoining large well equipped kitchen/ dining room make for a very satisfactory living area that is enhanced with the good sized balcony. Beyond the beach lies a small jetty from which small motor boats collect clients for snorkelling on the reef. The reef itself seems greatly over-rated and not on a par with sites that we have visited in the Red Sea, East Africa or the Caribbean. However there may be many other sites along the system that could justify its reputation. A great deal of building work continues along the coastal strip and wildlife areas are disappearing fast. Small tracts of coastal woodland, mangrove and marsh remain but are badly trashed, and strewn with rubble and litter. Still, birds continue to come and can provide some worthwhile bird watching that is different from the mainland.

Room Tip: Room 217 overlooking the beach is perfectly set for the wonderful view to be framed between palm tre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the 'Banana' and would return there again.
Things you should know prior to booking include:
*There are two buildings, they are A & B, we stayed in A331 which was a nice suite. It had the closest third floor view of the ocean, but was a little blocked by palm trees, not bad but not a completely clear view. My undestanding is the 'A' suites are larger and have better views than the 'B' rooms, however the B room we visited was nice but only had one a/c that as in the bedroom only.
*The A331 suite had dual air conditioners, one in the bedroom the other in the spacious kitchen/living room. The a/c controls were wireless digital remotes, you needed to understand Celsius as they did not understand Fahrenheit, but they worked extremely well.
*Some of the people we talked to always stay at the Banana every time they visit, I can see why. *Dual swimming pools were nice but unheated, still a refreshing temperature. No jacuzzi, however our suite had a jacuzzi bathtub.
*The beach is through an archway passageway just past the larger pool. The hotel sets up a small bar in the passageway in case you need something while swimming or at the beach which is only maybe 30 feet for the back of the hotel. A tanning area and dock are owned by the hotel. Shade trees allow full sun or shaded areas on the tanning beach.
*The dock is very convenient in case you set up private boat rides or dives.
*The Monkey Business office at the resort can help with arranging dives, renting golf carts (a little pricy but they include gas!), and provides clean beach towels that you can exchange anytime you want (check hours, not open 24hour). They also sell drinks, water, cuban cigars, etc.
*The restaurant is very good. Depending on you package you might have basic breakfasts included. People come from all over the island know of and visit the restaurant. Meals are a little pricy but very good food, drinks are very good as well from the attached bar.
*Beds were very comfortable, I would like to own the matress they use.
*The landscaping was a study in tropical plants, not overly lush, just tasteful.
*Close to the airport but far enough away there was no airport noise. FYI, you can jump in a cab from the airport for free as the hotel will pay the fare.
*The spa/massage can be used by appointment. I had one of the best massages I've ever had there, $65 for an hour.

***While we were there Feb 2013 they upgraded the shower nozzles. This fixed a common complaint. With the new showerheads, they temperature and flow was perfect.

Notes:
1.Belize dollars are easy to convert, there are $2BZ to $1US, and is locked in to that ratio, it doesn't change. US dollars are accepted everywhere but expect BZ dollars back in change.
2. English is spoken everywhere, if you know spanish it's a bonus.
3. There is at least one bar with live music every night, very enjoyable. Expect the dricks to be delicious but a little pricy of course.
3. Until you get a 2 week solid tan make sure you use suntan lotion regularly and every hour in the water, no fun to get burnt and ruin your visit!
4. Many taco shops and street vendors have great food, don't be afraid, they are safe, tasty, and oh so much cheaper than the restaurants. Carne-asada burritos might run $2US from a cart (evenings by the clock tower).

Bottom line, comfortable, a place you could stay on a regular basis. You need to rent a golf cart as it's a mile ride downtown (all paved), about $250-$320 a week to rent. Trust me, a golf cart is highly recommended anyway! You can stay at fancier places Ramons, or cheaper like the Conch Shell, the Banana is a good place without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean on the East side. Better views, better ocean breeze.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple